Hornby RailMaster, What are your thoughts?

This software looks very promising and makes controlling a model railway very fun, and to an extent true to how controlling a real railway would be today. I do question though, If its possible to do this via a computer or a laptop, wouldnt it be possible to digitise everything, and have the Entire railway run from a computer without the need for the elite controller as a piece of hardware? Having all the software on a computer with, for example, a USB plugin which then requires connecting to the railway itself, eliminating the need to have the Elite controller and allowing the user to completely control the railway from their laptop or PC. I may be thinking too software based, but would anyone have recommendations as to how to power the railway? It wouldnt be possible through a laptop, but certainly through a tower PC with a good enough power supply in it. All hypothetical, but is this possible?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gooie?!?, To run the locos you need to have some sort of device that generates the appropriate dcc control signals and supplies power to the track. In dcc-speak this is known as a "command station". To actually control the loco speed you need a "Throttle". The elite actually combines the finctions of "command station" and 2 x "throttle". You are not, however, obliged to use the elite throttles. YOu can have a slave (select) throttle or a computer throttle. I run my trains from teh elite sometimes. More usualyy I have software running on the pc that controls everything automatically. the command station is still needed to translate the computer ideas into dcc-speak. Does this make sesne?? Greg

The Elite is relatively novel in having a computer interface built in. Most systems require the user to purchase an additional, separate PC interface. Your idea of controlling the layout completely from the PC and having a USB plugin is largely possible with the SPROGII ( http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/ ) which is basically a decoder programmer (a very good programmer) which also has the abilty to drive a model railway from the PC screen. although it has a very limited power handling capacity. The output from the SPROG can be connnected to a DCC booster to increase it's power capacity to allow it to control a full size layout but if you do this, it's going to be just as costly as using an Elite.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rog :-)

Hi everyone, Thanks for telling me what you think about it. I still don't thhink I'll be getting it unless I win this months competition. The Eleit is too exspensive for me
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Bechio has done it again for leeds, right into the top corner, Leeds have won the game

Hi, I have seen it listed as low as £45.00. Try a google sesrch for Hornby Railmaster!

When it comes to getting the elite, you just have too look around. I don't know if I'm allowed to say where, but I got my Elite, a pack of point clips, a load of loco decoders and a couple of accessory decoders for little over the normal elite price. All new!

</div>

I think you have read the post wrong, I said te Hornby Eliet is too exspensive, not the Railmaster but my Birthday is coming up so maybe I could see if I get any money and use that as a booster for getting the eliet. Jacob
Bechio has done it again for leeds, right into the top corner, Leeds have won the game

Morning all, I am thinking of upgrading from my Select; the Elite/Railmaster package could be the next step, I am wondering how my layout could be put on screen, I have no idea of the part numbers of the individual bits of track, will the system cope with me "dragging" track onto the screen and eventually hoping the bits will join up
Hornbyjohn

If I understand it correctly, there is a track design facility built in to Railmaster.<br I'd like to give it a try before I commit myself to buying, <br
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rog :-)

Hi Rog, My first reading of the railmaster was that the code number for each bit of track was needed and I have finished fixing down the track and am playing with ballast, but a second and third reading makes me think that the track design will be more forgiving and cope with me!
Hornbyjohn

Hi everyone, I might be able to just afford the Eliet as I have found one for £170 so I might be able to get it. But I only would be able to use the Railmaster temporairly as I would have to use my sisters laptop as the USB cable would not stretch right across my bedroom. But At least I would Have It!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------- Bechio has done it again for leeds, right into the top corner, Leeds have won the game</div>

Hi WTD, Maybe I could get a longer USB cable, I did not know you could get longer ones! I'll have to see if I get any money for my birthday and how mutch that is before I decide If I'm getting it or not

Hi everyone, I've placed my order for RailMaster today as I've been waiting for this to come out for a long time. I tried running Railco (I think) by linking the Elite to my laptop but it never worked. I've only got a small layout - three loops and a siding but I found it difficult controlling three trains with just the Elite (put it down to my age!!) and with three children I no longer have to worry about them fighting over who is going to control the trains. In answer to Bocaj comment I do find it fairly fiddly switching between three trains and for some reason when I change from one knob to the other, sometimes the train being controlled switches from 1 to 2 - I have Thomas on 1 and Percy on the other. I'm controlling Thomas, then change knobs so I can control Percy and 2 becomes Thomas (so Percy is lost). I'm hoping that all these things will be solved by using the laptop. Also, I don't see it become less of the feel of controlling a train because the only think controlled is just a knob to control the speed so it will just be a "virtual" knob rather than a physical one. But I'll report back once I've had a chance to set it out. Regards, Tim

Very excited. Waiting to install my new Railmaster software. Do you know if I can install it on several computers? It says on the package that you need to register via the internet so I can't intially install it on my layout shed system as that is not internet connected. I have a small indoors layout and I would like to have it on a laptop as well. Now the killer - I've also ordered an iPad2 - when will it work on that? Finally, would love to connect in a traindriver console (for simulator).

hii have just started to program my track plan and have hit a problem it appears that there is no way you can insert a point diagonally so cannot complete it there doesnt seen to be any help and information to set up only supplied very dissapointed if anybody knows how to get these problems sorted i would be very greatfull thomasb

I got my RailMaster yesterday and it took me just a few minutes to set up my track plan and locos. thomasb, the track designer works on the principle of a signal box mimic diagram so it's not supposed to be to scale and you don't need diagonal points. All of the points included allow you to do any configuration you like, so it's not a problem. It's a bit like the London Underground map, all horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines, which also means you can put any track radius you like on there. You're not limited to 1st to 4th radius and it doesn't use Hornby track. Much easier than messing about with scale layout plans.

Hi evereyone, thatnks for telling me what you think. Jacob

Railmaster is excellent. Took me a little while to install it but the problem was with Visual Basic not Railmaster. Once that was sorted everything went well and very easily. I've got my track done and have points, locos and sound all up and running. The

only problem I keep having is that, as I need my laptop elsewhere and have to disengage from the Elite, every time I reconnect it takes me a little while getting it to run properly. Something to do with com ports I think. Any way I, as Mr May would say, am

absolutely chuffed with this programme.

Archived