New 1:35 AFV’s

Red Kite

Having just purchased the 2019 Airfix catalogue, I was surprised to see the announcement of a new range of 1:35 military vehicle kits. Thinking that this must be another manafacturer’s kits going under the Airfix label, and upon checking the specs listed towards the back of the publication, it seems that these kits will be Airfix renditions of WW2 military vehicles because the number of parts is to be advised.

I don’t Understand the Company’s logic of going down this road in this scale, as virtually all these kits have been done before by anyone squirting liquid plastic into mounds!  Far, far more sensible, I would have thought, to expand the range of 1:48 scale kits to go with the excellent and expanding range of 1:48 aircraft! How about a Humber armoured car, Daimler armoured car, a Comet, Centurion and Conqueror tank for starters? There’s a dearth of WW2 and Cold War vehicles just begging to be made and purchased by the 1:48th Brigade. Think again Airfix!

Red Kite.

Thanks for that Ratch. I remember many, many years ago, the pre-Hornby Airfix released a small number is of 1:35 American army trucks which I think were Max models. They weren’t mainstream items like these Academy kits, and quickly disappeared. I suppose Academy have had their money’s worth from the mounds of these forthcoming Airfix releases, but frankly there’s only so many Panthers and Tigers one needs.

I am happy that Airfix have once again paired up with Academy even though I doubt I shall be buying any - well not quite true as I like my oddballs & rarities and the almost forgotten Panzer 35(t) fits the bill perfectly.

Hopefully it will be successful and we'll get some of their later period kits too. I could certainly manage another HMMWV or M113, or the very nice 1/72 Vehicles including the Dragon Wagon! 

Even more happy if they also takeover their aircraft from Revell as the prices really seem to have jumped on the recent reboxes - although the prospects of having the Y1B-17 or B-17B in an Airfix box might perhaps be a wish too far. 

...there’s only so many Panthers and Tigers one needs.

I think there's only the one Panther, but five Tiger Is and four Sherman/Sherman chassis, plus two Hetzers! I think punters might find the number of Tigers and Shermans a little bewildering.

The number of Sherman variants is "headache making", given things like the 3 differential cases, 3 visually different front hulls, at least 2 different rear hulls, 2 suspensions, 4 main guns (WW2 only; Ishermans complicate this further), and at least one photo of a VVSS Sherman with an M3 (Medium) bogie in the central position on one side...

And that's before we get into stuff like applique armour, Cullen cutters, "funnies"...

I remember that, when intruducing the "vintage classics" series, they said, that in the future Airfix would only offer kits of their own.

Am I wrong or has this been forgotten?

I recall something about not reboxing other manufacturer's kits too. Maybe that policy was the previous CEOs.

I remember that, when intruducing the "vintage classics" series, they said, that in the future Airfix would only offer kits of their own.

Am I wrong or has this been forgotten?

I recall something about not reboxing other manufacturer's kits too. Maybe that policy was the previous CEOs.

I also recall back in 2016 (?) that all old moulds - meaning approx pre-1995, and especially the ancient 60s & 70s ones - were to be shelved permanently.

How times, and management, change...! 

• 3 months later...

Although I love Airfix tooled kits - there is some sound logic behind the new 1:35 line of armour coming out this year. Remember those old Peerless kits?  The Dodge. Command Car, Bedford QL Gun Portee, White Scout Car, Steyr Tractor, M6 Anti-Tank Gun Carriage, Dodge Weapons Carrier etc.  These were nice kits - one or two of which appeared as Airfix releases in 1976.  I recall  i always preferred the Airfix Multipose figures to anything  produced by other manufacturers.  I remember building the Bedford Portee (including the gun) and it was quite a nice kit really.  I can't remember if there were any figures with it - though I have vague memories of a driver.  In the mid 70s some of these were reboxed by Airfix, as everyone knows.  If the new 1:35 series are Academy kits - it would be nice to see Airfix add a few figures to accompany the new range.  

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not spent my money on these as yet because just wondering if they are up to scratch for the price.. . have bought Tamiya 1:35 and 1:48 before and been impressed even with the old mouldings...but I see that the majority of the new Airfix 1:35s are ex Academy moulds so is there a distinct improvement or just trotting out old moulds to fill a gap in the Airfix model range. .. also most Tamiya kits give at least one figure to enhance the kit but not aware the Airfix ones do ... anyone illuminate thanks 

• 7 months later...