hornby international brands compatibility

rasahman

Hi, I would like to know if the various international brands of locos like rivarossi etc can be coupled without issues to the hornby passenger cars etc. I did notice in the images that the coupling seems a bit different on these models. Thanks.

All the Hornby International brands( Jouef, Rivarossi,Lima,Electrotren are fitted as standard with NEM (Normes europeen modelisme ) coupler boxes in which is inserted a standard hook and loop European coupler which can be connected to most brands of European stock. These will not couple correctly to the Hornby UK standard couplers however it is possible to buy Hornby UK type couplers which will fit into the NEM box - they are normally just a push fit. The European couplers can be removed simply by sqeezing the tail protruding from the NEM box with a pair of tweezers and pulling firmly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to further expand on this point.

Whilst they are different and replacements to change them over are avialable. I've always found on my daughters layout that the Hornby 'hook' does couple up to the European couplers without a problem. It's just not an elegant solution!

• 3 weeks later...

The adoption of the NEM pocket allows the user/consumer to change the couplings to whatever their preference is. Prior to its adoption, every manufacruer produced their own versions or copied the Marklin loop.  Fleischmann had a hook style which is not too disimilar to the modern narrow UK hook.   (Unfortunately, some B.. models such as their 4MT have had the NEM socket at the wrong height !)

Conversely, Bachmann have supplied the 'marklin' loop coupler as the internal coupling on dmus, AND the photographs of recent Hornby Mk3 coaches (including those used by Hattons - which implies production models not samples) show Marklin-type loop couplings !!!

Kadee, Buckeye, Peco Simplex (Hornby Dublo), Roco Close Coupler (and Hornby Clone) and Fleischmann Profi couplings are mutually INCOMPATIBLE versions of automatic couplings which have the advantage of being separated with a simple vertical-lift - which has considerable advantages in 'fiddle yards' or if the train derails.  But with NEM pockets, any combination of coupling can be fitted to a vehicle.

Sometimes alternatives are included in the box - eg Hornby providing a clone of the Roco Close-coupler with Maunsell coaches ... note that these will be impaired if, in storage, the end is pushed up against packing .... a straw (paper or plastic) slipped over the end prevents the splaying-out which disables these couplers effectiveness.

LOADING GAUGE can be another area of compatibility problems - for example, the recent re release of the Big-Boy !! -- you may have to move lineside objects away from the track near any curves !!

For 00, a 23m long Mk3 coach is a good clearance test. For Continental Europe any of the full-scale length coaches - but Swedish railways have a larger loading gauge - and so I test my (Scandinavian 8-) layouts with one of their type 7 coaches ... it is as wide as a UK 00 model, but H0.

@Phil_Spiegel

Thats a great tip using a piece of straw over the Roco CC for protection......Thank you.

I mostly use Roco CC with a few Kadees mixed in. I have discovered though, that Hornby have changed the plastic inlay from a number of their Electrotren wagons so that they will not fit back in with a Roco CC in place.  The original Electrotren box liners were fine. This seems a bit of an oversight as Hornby have their Roco clones which are actually a little longer.  Just means when I get a new wagon, the scalple is needed to remodel the packaging.................

Another good point about the load gauge. I've a couple of Bachmann Chinese DF11s and they have swipped a few things on their way round..

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Mentioning loading gauge issuies

I use an Athearn 86' High cube box car as a loading gauge setter there is not much around that is bigger than that.

Certainly nothing as big as that  runs on my layout except for testing purposes during construction. so far touch wood with the exception of a Triang fourgon every thing I have gets round the layout and no visiting stock problems.

regards John