Does the Collectors Club Model have to be an Engine?

Ducky1

Does the Collectors Club Model have to be an Engine? How about a carriage or a wagon.

I have been a member for two years now and I do not need any more Engines.

How about a carriage from the Railway Children for 2020 to mark the 50th Anniversary.

Ducky1

I think I would prefer an item of rolling stock, rather than a cheap 0-4-0. Price-wise a detailed 4 wheel wagon would be similar to a bottom of the range locomotive.

The Bachmann Collectors Club supply a private owner wagon with a unique owner's livery to their club members and usually it is in the colours of one of the pre-War wagon builders, they make a very attractive collection, ideal for running behind a locomotive in pre-Grouping livery. 

The Bachmann wagons have moved on from the Wagon Builders collection.

There have also been tank wagons, other PO wagons, and others, to commemorate people or events...

Far more useful....even if you don't model PO periods, you can either repaint, or sell the non useful wagons to put the proceeds towards more useful items.

Not so easy with the Hornby locos! 😉

Hornby's Club Electrotren model this year is a modern image parcels coach in an experimental version of the red livery introduced at the end of era IV. 

http://www.clubelectrotren.com/index.php/club/modelos-del-club-anteriores/modelo-del-club-2019

The 2018 Club model was an old coach re-purposed as a departmental dynamic test vehicle.

http://www.clubelectrotren.com/index.php/club/modelos-del-club-anteriores/modelo-del-club

I suspect that many UK modellers would have preferred something like this as a club model rather than a cheap loco but it would be up to members to feed this back to Hornby.

Club Electrotren offer an N scale alternative which is an exclusive Arnold model. I don't know if Hornby run similar schemes around Rivarossi, Jouef, Lima and Arnold. At 52€, Club Electrotren is considerably more expensive than the £28 charged for The Collector, and this is perhaps reflected in the items offered!

@JJ

The black steam locomotive is a Glasgow NB built RENFE 141F Mikado - a special weathered edition offered to club members much like the H Class 0-4-4T offered to Hornby collectors club members.  As LC&DR points out we would know it better as a 2-8-2.

The unweathered version is available on this website.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/brands/electrotren-h0-1-87/electrotren-steam-locomotives/electrotren-h0-1-87-steam-locomotive-renfe-141-2109-mikado.html

It is a really Lovely loco - I now thinking of getting it - on it's page (which Ello put a link to above - Thank you Ello) it says that 1 of of its Special feature is :- "Digital decoder plug - 21 pin MTC" - I don't have Digital - Just plain old school Track, Loco's & My H&M Duette Controller - does that mean I can't use it on my track or what???

Let me know please - Thank you in advance  😀

• 1 month later...

Speaking as a newbie, which attracted me to the Collectors Club, A new engine raises the excitment levels a lot more to me and maybe others who are beginning to either build a collection or renew  long gone collection than a piece of rolling stock.

I can fully understand the views of those more experienced collectors who have extensive stocks of engines to choose from and maybe, want to remain in Era and the like, but as a way to attract new entrants to the hobby and especially the youngsters, who will be the future, I really appreciate, having paid the joining fee and receiving an engine in effect for free, rather than a peice of rolling stock, the intricacies of which will be lost on a beginner and to be fair, because of that lack of knowledge and experience, would be the same as receiving a piece of rolling stock which could be picked up elsewhere for under a Fiver.

Nope Engines every time for me!