Loft Layout in the Rafters??

tich4472

Just a quick word of warning regarding using the loft.

Please check the sizes of the joists. In some modern day constructions they are quite small and are only sufficient to hold the plasterboard ceiling up.

Equally, as previously mentioned, talk to your local Council Building Control department to ascertain any issues/requirements that may be necessay.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe_H....just for clarity modern trussed rafters are designed for a load on the ceilign tie member (I.e. the memeber you walk over) of 250N/mm2 over and above the trusses' own selfweight and plasterboard ceiling afixed to its underside.  This 250N/mm2 is apllied thought the entire roof space and is roughly equivalent to 40mm of solid timber flooring.  I can't envisage that being exceeded with a model railway layout on a raised ply deck....even some storage under it.

I work in lofts a lot, installing loft ladders, lighting and boarding, that’s what I do.

I hate it as an environment so much I built a 20’ x 10’ shed instead of a layout in the loft!

Whiteshield has the right idea, well done that person! The extremes of temperature are bonkers: in winter for my loft boarding I’m wearing thermals, jeans, overalls, gloves, fleece and hat. In summer it’s down to shorts and t-shirt and only work till 3pm with a 20” fan: like working with a hairdryer on you. Without air movement the high temperatures leave you dripping within minutes.

My must-haves for even thinking about a loft layout are:

• Able to stand up full height in at least 1/3rd of the available space
  • Insulation with 80mm cellotex between rafters
  • At least one Velux window for natural light
  • Decent Fakro wooden ladder for access
  • Heating!

My loft failed on no. 1 so I binned the idea straight away and went for the shed. It's (literally) got a shed load of insulation, is light, airy and a nice place to be. 

Do get the loading of the roof timbers checked. Many houses are built not intending the roof area to be used for anything substantial. A big layout can weigh quite a lot on top of anything else you may have up there. I have lined my loft roof with 50mm foam insulatiion and the temperature throughout the year only varies by 10 degrees. No heat, just open the hatch and it rises in.