airfix british battle ships and destroyers

i like boats and planes

Hi I like boat & planes Which I'll shorten to I-L-B&P.

Fistly welcome to the forum and hope you'll enjoy the many topics aired here. there's a wealth of exprieance and information if you dig a bit.

Airfix has over the years released all the major British battle-ships icluding the HMS Dreadnought, HMS Iron Duke (of WW1 fame) HMS Nelson HMS Warsprite in WW2 guise, just replace those wierd 15" gun barrels, and the HMS King George V. They've also done the HMS Repulse. If you scroll down this page you'll find my build of the KGV ansd several other Airfix ship including the HMS Belfast.

Several of their earlier ship kits,while reasonable at the time, now really need quite a lot of work to bring them up to a resonable level by todays standard, here i'm thinking of the Graf Spee, Bismark, HMS Hood ,HMS Shefield, and the Sharnhorst. Basicall anything after about 1970 will make into a reasonable model straight out the box. the best aurguably being the KGV, Repulse, (often reckoned by online forums as Airfix's best.) HMS Belfast, (not for the faint-hearted) and the Prinz Eugen. Check down this page for my posting of the KGV and the Graf Spee.

Airfix have also released three 1/72 boat kits, the Air-Sea rescue boat (Currently available) a Vosper MTB (Hopefully it will be re-released again soon) and an early German "E" or S-boat, (again hopefully to be re-released.) again I've done a posting on building the "E"? boat. and there are postings on the Air-Sea rescue and Vorsper boats. These three kits are a real joy to build and still hold there own even by todays standards. May-be something for you to think about.

Even though most of the ships are no longer availabe, although Airfix seems to be re-releasing some in their "Vintage Classic" range most are still availabe second-hand at model shows and auction sites and the prices are not too exorbertant. Hope this helps. 

Remember we do this for fun                                              John the Pom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If we look at WW2 and to be fair, airfix, with the KGV, Warspite and Nelson. allows you to produce most of the battleships the british used in WW2. They'd need to produce the royal oak/revenge class to have them all.

The problem is we've done all these kits.  the same for the german navy. it's a catch 22. airfix doersn't want to invest in new models if there's no market, but they are killing off the market because there's no new models.

it's a catch 22. airfix doersn't want to invest in new models if there's no market, but they are killing off the market because there's no new models.

How true. 1/350 is far too big for a collection and 1/700 is too small. I'd love more 1/600 kits.

• 2 weeks later...

it's a catch 22. airfix doersn't want to invest in new models if there's no market, but they are killing off the market because there's no new models.

How true. 1/350 is far too big for a collection and 1/700 is too small. I'd love more 1/600 kits.

I thought I would treat myself to one of those 1/200 kits, I was tempted by the HMS Hood, but the Hood Association said it has more errors than their 1/350 offering, so I plumped for the Rodney and no kidding, my cat could fit in it and he isn't small (but not large like a Maine Coon).

Airfix ship models are fun and (if you are not careful) educational too! I love the old 1/600 ships - many of which were engineered with a quality that still makes them competitive with the newest molds available. The newer ships and boats Airfix produce in other scales look beautiful too.   

These days the news can be full of stories about US Navy ships; the USS Arleigh or the USS Vincennes, and etc. It is perfectly correct to put the definite article before USS (United States' Ship). It is a very common mistake (made by some of the best possible people) to refer to the HMS Astute. That would mean saying the Her Majesty's Ship Astute. There's no need for the.

I hope you enjoy your Airfix ship building!

Common mistake.  The definite article also trips people up in the case of acronyms.  One can say NASA in a sentence but not THE NASA.  Conversely, one can say THE USAF but not simply USAF.

It all boils down to whether you are reading the acronym as a word or whether you are reading out the letters.

Marvellous language English!

• 2 weeks later...

Airfix has over the years released all the major British battle-ships icluding the HMS Dreadnought,

Afraid not John  😢

There was/is a campaign on the ATF to lobby Airfix to make the Dreadnought, but so far they have resisted  ☹️

I have dreadnought from Trumpeter but it's in a much larger scale