Lane change not working properly

Milkman rob

Hi Milkman rob.

The lane changers will only 'flip' open or closed when the sensor is triggered by the Infra-Red LED of a digital chip. When a digital car passes the sensor, it will either open or close the flipper, depending whether the lane-change button on the controller is pressed or not.

Unexpected lane changes can happen if you are following a car too close when it lane changes (the flipper doesn't have time to re-set) or if the flipper is open and the LED fails to trigger the sensor to close the flipper. The first issue is solved by hanging back from the car in front by six-inches or so. The second issue might be because the lane changer is immediately after a corner and the car is not straight; the sensor in the lane changer is dirty (give it a blow and/or a wipe with a clean cotton bud); or the LED in the car is dirty (cotton bud) or damaged (try another car or chip).

To diagnose the problem, I'd suggest trying different cars and manually push the car over the sensor and see if the flipper moves. It might also be worth trying different controllers. It is just possible that the lane change button is a bit glitchy? One final thing to consider is power... The lane changers are powered from the track, so the track connections do need to be good and - on a long track - power taps are necessary. Is the problem lane changer a long way from the powerbase?  Depending on what digital powerbase you are using, you might also be on marginal power - one P9300 power supply will run three cars, two are required for four to six. Although the lane changers only draw a small amount of power for a split second, it might still be a factor.

I hope that helps.

thanks for your reply, I think the problem is with the straight lane change, the lane change is right next to the power supply and on a long straigh, I have about 20+ digital cars and all the same result, since first post I've noticed when the flipper is in the straight position it will flip open when triggered but it will not flip back after any car passes back over it also the flipper sometimes sits in the middle, any ideas for the track or is it knackered 

I remember reading a thread where the little wire arm that controls the flipper can slip out of the holder on one side causing for the flipper to move in one direction well but not in the other.

Taking the section up and opening up the bottom is the only course of repair I am afraid. :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Many thanks for this thread.

I have a lane changer where one of the two changers only works in one direction.

For example it will not allow the car to change lane, but it will allow it to continue on the same track.

This thread helped as I checked the tiny arms (once I opened the back off) and the arms are held inside OK.

(I added a little margarine to the black plastic to help the arms slide from side to side, but that didn't help resolve the problem).

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to replace the electrical component that moves the arm?

Many thanks Matthew

Hi Milkman rob.

The lane changers will only 'flip' open or closed when the sensor is triggered by the Infra-Red LED of a digital chip. When a digital car passes the sensor, it will either open or close the flipper, depending whether the lane-change button on the controller is pressed or not.

Unexpected lane changes can happen if you are following a car too close when it lane changes (the flipper doesn't have time to re-set) or if the flipper is open and the LED fails to trigger the sensor to close the flipper. The first issue is solved by hanging back from the car in front by six-inches or so. The second issue might be because the lane changer is immediately after a corner and the car is not straight; the sensor in the lane changer is dirty (give it a blow and/or a wipe with a clean cotton bud); or the LED in the car is dirty (cotton bud) or damaged (try another car or chip).

To diagnose the problem, I'd suggest trying different cars and manually push the car over the sensor and see if the flipper moves. It might also be worth trying different controllers. It is just possible that the lane change button is a bit glitchy? One final thing to consider is power... The lane changers are powered from the track, so the track connections do need to be good and - on a long track - power taps are necessary. Is the problem lane changer a long way from the powerbase? Depending on what digital powerbase you are using, you might also be on marginal power - one P9300 power supply will run three cars, two are required for four to six. Although the lane changers only draw a small amount of power for a split second, it might still be a factor.

I hope that helps.

Hi Matthew,

Have you tried everything as outlined by Woodcote above?

Have you checked that all wires really are attached?

Also try setting up the smallest track possible with just this lane changer to test if power is an issue..

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
Has anyone found a solution to this ?

I wonder the same. Ive got a lane change on a fixed layout that no longer operates at all. Can't see anything wrong with it. Ive replaced it and the new one works fine. Seems odd that it just stopped working, fails all tests suggested in this thread.

Hi there,

From my experience the most common fault that occurs with Scalextric lane changers is the mechanical one described above where a solenoid link pin becomes detached leading to the flipper only operating in one direction. Repair is straight forward but a bit fiddly.

The second most common fault (from my experience) is an electrical one whereby a small self-resetting fuse fails - either as open circuit or intermittent open circuit. This results in the lane changer becoming completely dead or erratic in its operation.

The self-resetting fuse is a ‘polyfuse’ with 0.5Amp rating - typically labelled ‘LF050’ with board-level white silk screen printing as ‘R6’.

If the fuse fails then it needs to be replaced and this requires some basic electronics/soldering repair skills.

c

Hi there,

From my experience the most common fault that occurs with Scalextric lane changers is the mechanical one described above where a solenoid link pin becomes detached leading to the flipper only operating in one direction. Repair is straight forward but a bit fiddly.

The second most common fault (from my experience) is an electrical one whereby a small self-resetting fuse fails - either as open circuit or intermittent open circuit. This results in the lane changer becoming completely dead or erratic in its operation.

The self-resetting fuse is a ‘polyfuse’ with 0.5Amp rating - typically labelled ‘LF050’ with board-level white silk screen printing as ‘R6’.

If the fuse fails then it needs to be replaced and this requires some basic electronics/soldering repair skills.

c

Ah, sounds like the fuse in my case. I'll get a replacement and warm up the soldering iron. Thank you for the info.