US Navy Ships Measure 21 .. Humbrol nearest colour

Cliverdee

Hi would anyone know the nearest Humbrol colour to US Navy Measure 21 camouflage paint scheme. To my eye 104 Oxford Blue looks reasonable ... am I about right with this or does anyone consider a more appropriate Humbrol or Revell colour for the overall blue used in WW2 ... thanks a lot 

I'm sure I have some old airfix magazine / scale models magazine somewhere that gives this information .......I'll try to find it but can't promise anything as I have a least 50 years of these magazines .......If I remember correctly it would have been around 1978 or thereabout ....will try to look for it tomorrow.

I'm sure I have some old airfix magazine / scale models magazine somewhere that gives this information .......I'll try to find it but can't promise anything as I have a least 50 years of these magazines .......If I remember correctly it would have been around 1978 or thereabout ....will try to look for it tomorrow.

Thankyou that's good of you ... but please don't go to too much trouble if the answer doesn't fall immediately to hand .. 

Found them.  Scale Models issues for June 1975 and November 1976.

Unfortunately he former only discusses schemes applied to North Carolina.  Measures 12, 22 and 32.  It does not give any specific information about colour matches.

The November article is a review of a 52-page book entitled "United States Navy Camouflage of the WW2 era".   

So unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much to help you.

Hi Cliverdee

To my knowledge humbrol paint have no direct equietent to colours used by the US navy. There are other companies that do specialize in these colours such as WEM & Atlatic models. 

I built the Tamiya USS Missouri of 1955 / 45 fit and they gave two schemes measures 22 and 2232D I've included the Tamiya schemes with their paint colours and mixes.. Althgough theses schemes and other schemes given should be taken with a large pinch of salt as in 1942 to 1944 paint wasn't of the highest priority and most ships had to use local paint as & where & what they could. So much so that you could easily find ships with a muiltitude of various blues dabbed all over then that them looked like blue patch-work quilts.

So unless you want your ship to be pristen you can use plenty of artisic lience. Good luck and would love to see some finished results.

Tamaya's painting measuries 22 & 2232D.

/media/tinymce_upload/3d15242a0b8284db903c1a1a19def3da.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/4e7e9ac4d5058a8d6faafaef8296e7fe.jpg

Hope this helps. Remember we do this for fun                         John the Pom