Thomas Hornby

JimmyV

Hi there,

I was sorry to see the Thomas Hornby range was discontinued a few years back.

I was fortunate enough to buy some of the range before it was discontinued, for my boys who absolutely love Thomas!

I would love to try and track down some more in the series and I see some of these are available on Ebay, but I'm very cautious over overpaying.

I appreciate with a discontinued range it's very much 'name your price' type territory, but how much do you guys think the below would REALLY be worth?

Devious Diesel 

Duck

Bill

Ben

Toby

None of the above are currently below £50 and I see from some sellers online that they've left the original price tag on the boxes... some of which are only £20.

I also suppose they're not like to decrease in value once bought because they're not being made anymore.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

JimmyV, welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

Toby, Duck, Bill, Ben and Devious Diesel were all discontinued in 2011. If these models were still in production and could be purchased new, I would not spend any more than £40.00 each on them. I already have them and have had them before they were discontinued.

If I wanted buy them now, I don't think I would pay more than £70.00 for these characters, but even then that would be at a push to get them. The models themselves are not worth more than £50.00. People are only paying for these becuase they are Thomas models and haven't been in production for nine years.

Something that is worth pointing out, is that these five models you have listed, will only get more rarer and will cost even more in the future. If if you do want them, I would start acting now. They will rise in value the older they become. There are other Hornby Thomas & Friends models that sell for even more than these five and are even rarer to find.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

There is no need to resort to buying overvalued pre-owned Thomas products when you can pre-order brand new  00 scale Thomas models from another British manufacturer. Just Google Thomas 00 models.........HB

Indeed this is another route, but I was surprised to find these "new" members from Sodor are much more cartoon like than the Hornby verions and frankly I much prefer the Hornby way of making them look more "realistic" if that can be applied to this range.

We have our grandchildren staying with us for the duration (thier Dad is a A&E Doctor presently dealing with the  Cov-19 issue) and they certainly love watching Thomas whizz around playing the theme tune (loaded onto a Loksound chip) but it stops me getting on with completing the layout as every time I try to sneak off into the playroom I get a little follower tagging along behind LOL.

Our Thomas is the blue metal flake LE version and looks quite good, oddly I was looking for some modelling stuff at the weekend and found Duck langoush in his box as well.....but not chipped him yet.