Arc pro advice - looking for first new set in 10+ years

Banty1398

Hi All,

First time posting and hoping to get some advide from the experts. After many years of no slot car racing, I've dug my old 'start' set out and our 5 year old has really taken to it. But the sets old, cars are old, wired controllers, would like more track ect.... so got myself online looking and to upgrade.

Looking at the sunset speedway set, with the arc pro, obviously im gonna need some extra track to go with it but that isnt an issue its not stupidly expensive for a small expansion pack.

So heres to the questions

1) Can the set and additionl track be set up and used in 3 car mode without the need for the app (as our 5 year old isnt going to be overly intrested in race conditions and lap counting ect)

2) is there anything I need to consider when adding extra track if using the app for races/pacecars? Does the app need to know the full track set up ect?

3) Any reasons I shouldn't go for a digital set? 

Look forward to any help and advice

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris and welcome,

You can use any ARC Powebase with or without the app.

Without the  app you can race up to 6 cars and they can lane change etc.

Pace cars can only work with the app (or using a rubber band.. :-) ) The official app only currently supports 1 pace car. The user-made "Maguc ARC" app supports up to 6.

You can turn any features of the app on or off so the APP can simply be a lap counter or be as complex as having KERS.

One important thing the APP can do is change how each car behaves by setting a top speed and also adjust accelaration. There are throttle profiles that mean smashing the trigger doesn't take the car to top speed right away.

The great thing about ARC PRO is you can switch to analog mode for non-digital cars.

You say your set is a "start" set. Is this the older, hard plastic start set with a different track connector? If you you will need to find adapter pieces to connect to the regulat Sport track.

Otherwise there is not much else to worry about. You can add track as you like. The length and setup are not too important (though if you want to switch between analog and digital you may have to modify older curved digital lane-changers).

Have fun!

Hi Chris and welcome,

You can use any ARC Powebase with or without the app.

Without the  app you can race up to 6 cars and they can lane change etc.

Pace cars can only work with the app (or using a rubber band.. :-) ) The official app only currently supports 1 pace car. The user-made "Maguc ARC" app supports up to 6.

You can turn any features of the app on or off so the APP can simply be a lap counter or be as complex as having KERS.

One important thing the APP can do is change how each car behaves by setting a top speed and also adjust accelaration. There are throttle profiles that mean smashing the trigger doesn't take the car to top speed right away.

The great thing about ARC PRO is you can switch to analog mode for non-digital cars.

You say your set is a "start" set. Is this the older, hard plastic start set with a different track connector? If you you will need to find adapter pieces to connect to the regulat Sport track.

Otherwise there is not much else to worry about. You can add track as you like. The length and setup are not too important (though if you want to switch between analog and digital you may have to modify older curved digital lane-changers).

Have fun!

Hi Andy P,

Thankyou for the response. I don't intend using any of my old kit for the new set. Will be an entire new set up.

Nice to know we can just race without the app.

With the analogue mode, can we still use the digital cars that come with the set? Just 2 cars and play?

Regards

Chris

Depends on which arc pro set you buy.

If you get the the latest 24 lemans, you will get the best powerbase while  the cars are chipped with the latest chip,  the H ,which is great on digital but hard to control on pro analog.

The sunset speedway could be the same upgraded or the original powerbase.

You can always pull out H and use scaly 9549 hatch to convert it to racing analog but why bother if you are not keeping old cars , just do not change lanes.

Earlier versions of the chip are fine on upgraded pro analog and digital of course.

Do not know about earlier version of pro with the H since mine was modified to run great digital long ago, but not analog ,so had to swap in analog base which H does handle nicely.

If you think the 5 year old may change interest quickly, a 2 lane scaly analog set would be a better idea.

As for 2  pace cars, rubberband 2 controllers when counting laps using 2 ids  or 1  controller when not counting using 1 id for both.

Digital cars work on analog tracks but they don't have motor braking.

The ARC controllers have a button for braking that does slow the car down fast (faster than coasting) but not quite as fast as with motor braking.

If you can remove the chip easily it is best to do that when in analog mode.