Lima Pantograph Switch

bill7437

I have a Lima SNCF BB 9288 Electric Loco with operating pantographs ( according to the box ). It has a roof mounted switch which the previous owner has disconnected. I would like to restore this operating pantograph feature and hope that someone on this forum has a diagram or some indication of how to connect this switch to the motor bogie.

Hi Bill, 

I'm guessing your model is 208167 LGP or LP produced from 1984-87?

There appears to be a PDF exploded diagram of this loco on Le trains Jouef website through it might be an earlier model of the BB9200 type than you have. It could be that the Hornby SS matches the later Lima model as it was re-release in 2009 in the Jouef Junior range (I guess the same sort of thing that happened with the Lima OO models going into the Hornby RR range.) This is on the same website - HJ2060.

These may or may not be of use. They may seems more informative to you than me!

Thanks Ellocoloco. You are dead right with the model number. Les trains jouef by my ami Philippe Galaup is I am afraid of little use as the Lima 9200 sheet listed is a very early item. The Jouef Junior item despite having reasonable pantos, these were non-working despite the high price of this item.I have a good library of both Jouef and Lima service sheets but NOT one showing the roof mounted panto switch or wiring. Of course since the advent of digital control. picking up power from the catenary seems to have bitten the dust!!!! No maker now seems to offer this facility. In fact they even advise against it - possibility of some feedback I gather to the DCC - being old fashioned with so much stock I am still on plain old analogue.. All I really want to do is to restore the item to the LGP ( Operating Pantos ) condition- as made. Anyway thanks for your reply

Hi Bill,

I don't have many overhead electric locos - not really my scene - but a few have sneaked into my collection! My first HO engine was in fact German BR 169.003.1, Roco 4128B bought during a family skiing holiday to Austria in 1980 something. Coincidentally it has a roof mounted switch and secretly, as all trains want to be Roco trains, I would imagine the set up on the Lima model of a few years later is pretty similar.

/media/tinymce_upload/f85b99368572a94c2fa27bb4925f6eb8.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/bd1be1538f2f6ef5b4ce6e8e71ebf4ae.JPG

The brown wire comes from the wheels on the RHS of the loco in the picture. The blue wire goes to the motor terminal on the same side. In the current position, power goes from wheels through brown wire via the selector switch then through the blue wire to motor. With the switch turned power is led from the pantograph via its securing screw through the raised brass connector directly to the motor via the blue wire.

The other later Roco, Mehano and Electrotren electric locos I have include an internal selector switch or jumper plugs to go from rail to o/h wire pick up. All these are DCC ready and have working pantographs so although not necessary to many modellers, the feature is still there. The most recent one I have is an Electrotren EMU from 2015. The 2019 Hornby Int'l catalogue does show a large number of models with working pantographs so I imagine DCC or not, Hornby still see it as a customer requirement.

/media/tinymce_upload/5173aa89d840d7a29d368ac30b72f054.JPG 

Incidentally the 169 is the only model I have ever run off a pantograph - I tied a wire to the pantograph just to see if it would work and once proven, switched it back again!

The switch is likely to be a standard slide switch. Have a look at the old Class 90 which has a panto switch. Service sheets 146 and 209.

The problem with DCCing an overhead is twofold.

1. Overhead is normally (DC) wired like a three rail loco with the overhead taking the place of the third rail and both wheel rails being common return. This makes a DCC two rail system difficult to wire if you turn a loco physically on track as you need som way of switching the overhead from Rail A to Rail B.

2. The DCC signal needs good contact twixt loco and rails to avoid skipping commands. This has proven difficult using an overhead due to panto bounce and sparking over ‘points’ in the overhead wires.

Thanks to both of you, I have managed to puzzle it out even though it was just to restore the loco to "as made" condition- the roof switch is a two contact plastic item with a screwdriver head a la Roco - you just twist the head from one contact to the other to effect panto or wheel collection - very simple but effective.

Hi ellocoloco, yes a very similar design but not as robust as the Roco one you have, all plastic apart from the spring around the moveable head and the thin brass contacts but it still works !!!!.  DCC with working overhead collection appears for a number of reasons to be a no-no. Roco these days do not stipulate that their electric outline models have "operating" pantos.