Happy now?

I got an e mail notification of the new club on Friday... bout half one I think... and joined up straight away!  .. Airfix are better than other manufacturers at at least trying to do something for their fans so I'm very grateful they are still in business and fully support them 

It seems that the email notification was hit and miss.  Great news if you got one, but not so good for the others.  All four are still out of stock.

I too, am grateful that they are still in business.  When you consider how the quality of their product compared to others 10 years ago, it is amazing that they are.  This is presumabley down to their loyal customer base (of which, I consider myself one).

I would suspect that the club has not relauched for their fans.  We have been emailing and posting regarding the club for years now and the return communication has been poor.  The information on the homepage was in essence an inaccurate one liner.  The relauch of the club is more likely an attempt to raise cash urgently and looking at how quickly it sold out, it appears to have been a success.  Well done Airfix accountants, I suspect they are happy.

I am a member of another Forum and a member there has advised that he ordered and paid for one membership and it arrived yesterday, along with seventeen others.  No wonder they are out of stock!  The accountants won't be happy if this is a common occurance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the email and joined up immediately - standard membership (I don't usually do 1:72s). I've just received my membership pack today and whilst I am delighted that the club is back there seems to be less value for money than previous club offerings. Gone is the discount, gone is the voucher. Granted, I got an A4 colour poster and a supermarket trolley fob but it looks like the best part will be the flying hours - and they have gone up as well. It does say to look out for Club specials etc. but they're gonna have to be really special to make up for the loss.

I've tried several times to rejoin/renew my membership. I recieved no automatic notification (in spite of having sent the e-mail to request it weay back) and all I get when I try to rejoin/renew is an Error 404 message. Does this mean that the new system has already collapsed? Not at all happy about this.... I wanted to renew as a Club Plus member so I received the Club special edition model. I've e-mailed the contact adress, but no reply as yet. Anyone got any suggestions?

You could try ringing them but not sure you would get any more info... I received my club plus pack today and am very pleased with the Kate... the decal options add another 'plus' to a nice kit....so if I was thinking value for money the standard kit is £19 so £24.99 isn't that much more for the added benefits of membership... and also I was one of the lucky 1st 1000 to get the kit listings / artists info booklet included free too... so overall I am very happy but didn't think the standard package was worth going for unless you had loads of flying hours and could crystal ball what the exclusives will be. On the subject of duplication of orders (17 memberships does sound rather overdoing what is presumably a computer glitch... bizarre!), Airfix did double my order just before the Club folded a year+  back... so I received two of everything I'd ordered. I rang to let them know and they got DPD to (eventually), come and collect the extra they had sent... they agreed it wouldn't do the company coffers any good, and for my trouble gave me a 10% off code. It's a shame that the Club memberships have run out for the time being and know it was only luck that had me switching on my computer just after they'd announced the relaunch on the email I got... so would also have been a bit cross to have to wait (again) to hand over my money for the  Club benefits. Fingers crossed it won't be very long for Airfix to get more Club memberships available. 

Given I do not receive Airfix/Horby marketing (spam) emails, I missed out on the initial announcement and only just discovered the supposedly "good news" a few days ago; not really sure if it is "good news" though as its been a 404 page for me right from when I first checked the link in the "Workbench" article (end of June). 

I'm guessing Hornby underestimated the demand for Club Membership and has run out of Club kits/welcome packs etc so has done the 404 to stop me and others joining.  Quite disappointing from Hornby really.

I got the email and joined up immediately - standard membership (I don't usually do 1:72s). I've just received my membership pack today and whilst I am delighted that the club is back there seems to be less value for money than previous club offerings. Gone is the discount, gone is the voucher. Granted, I got an A4 colour poster and a supermarket trolley fob but it looks like the best part will be the flying hours - and they have gone up as well. It does say to look out for Club specials etc. but they're gonna have to be really special to make up for the loss.

Did you get the book that was supposed to be for the first 1000 members??  I got the standard membership as well and did not recieve it..

I signed up for just the standard membership, got my membership confirmation email at 12:48 after the opening of membership at 12:00 on the friday. No book for me either. They must have gone quick!

Yeah, I must say bit disappointed with the membership 'bundle', Big box with a poster, key fob and flying hours passport in it, oh well, will wait and see what happens.

I saw the announcement last Friday morning and thinking I had loads of time went on to do something else, and less than 24 hours later all options were sold out when I tried to order my membership!

So despite many many posts complaining and bemoaning about Airfix it must still be very popular as the Clubs were sold out in less than a day!

I emailed and got a quick reply saying they were have difficulty processing all the orders and to keep checking the website. I will do that and I won't wait when I see they are taking orders!! 

I did get the book... you're not missing much. Just a big list of kits that were once made (some weird stuff too). The Kate is pretty good. I'm not that keen on the two club schemes but you get markings for two proper Japanese ones and it worked out about £10 or so for a decent kit on top of the standard package. No club card yet so I can't start redeeming the coffee mug full of tokens I've been building up quite yet! 

I got the book today - not the Member Pack yet. I guess if you're not interested in who painted the artwork for any given kit, the book will not be wanted. For those of us interested in the history of Airfix it is a useful tome.

Did you get the book that was supposed to be for the first 1000 members??  I got the standard membership as well and did not recieve it..

No book for me either

• 2 weeks later...

Great that the club is back. I'm not fussed about the small amount of token inflation, it was to be expected. The only thing that's a bit ludicrous is still needing to use obsolete cheques or postal orders to cover the postage for bonus kits. Hopefully some payment method befitting the 21st century can be introduced soon.

Otherwise, I'm pleased, and I'll sign up on payday, assuming there's stock.

Has anyone been able to link their membership to an online login and see any 'exclusive' kits? When I log in I get a message suggesting I check out the membership page for exclusives, but when I click on the link I don't see anything other a note of the 3 kit limit purchase limit. I was able to sign up and get my welcome pack quite quickly so maybe these things will be announced in the weeks to come.

The same as others, I kept on getting the 404 error page not found. On Monday this week I received an email so went to the link and finally rejoined. The plus membership was the only one available so I joined that. The way I look at it, I will eventually receive a Kate for £10 which pleases me as I am a fan of this model.

Whilst there have been changes to the bonuses for having membership, I am pleased that we actually still have a flying hours scheme!

Let's hope that the Club lasts and goes from strength to strength. I'm hoping that we see some interesting "Club Exclusives".

Ordered the membership, spray paint and Dominie together and was given a delivery date of today for it to arrive; package came via DPD but only after I had to ring them as delivery driver issues....

Anyway on  opening the big box I was expecting to see the Club model etc and Dominie but sadly not, only the Dominie and spray paint, no sign or mention of the Club kit/membership stuff and according to my order it has now been fulfilled.

What's up Hornby?

I recently joined and I understand that the club has just been relaunched and they are yet release club specific offers.

However, I'm yet to be convinced of it's value to me. I'm happy to pay the £24 and collect the kit, bbut unconvinced by other offers that all seem to involve spending money.  Look at what other memberships provide elsewhere, such as Amazon Prime and free deliveries. 

When a company like Airfix sells sirect they are getting increased profit (at the expsense of their retailers) A club member discount voucher code or reduction in shipping costs would be valuable to me and would cost them nothing. A plastic disc that I will leave in a supermarket trolley is less valuable.

If I order over £50 of items, then I'm promised free delievry, But if I want to pre order a new Spitfire Vc then the site wants to charge me £5 postage even if it's part of an order over £50.  If I want to pre-order several kits then only those over £50 get free postgae each of the others is charged £5 for postage.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of good model shops that I use.  I think I would prefer to ask them to make the pre orders for the Vulcan and Spitfire Vc.  That way I'm supporting them, supporting Airfix and not paying excessive postage. I could also pay RRP to an Amazon Prime seller get a kit at or bellow RRP and have it delievred free the next day.

My point here is that if you really want to promote the club membership then make it compelling and valuable and if they think it through they could use it to leverage increased kit sales.

Didn't intend my first post here to be a rant...

Clive

I recently joined and I understand that the club has just been relaunched and they are yet release club specific offers.

However, I'm yet to be convinced of it's value to me. I'm happy to pay the £24 and collect the kit, bbut unconvinced by other offers that all seem to involve spending money.  Look at what other memberships provide elsewhere, such as Amazon Prime and free deliveries. 

When a company like Airfix sells sirect they are getting increased profit (at the expsense of their retailers) A club member discount voucher code or reduction in shipping costs would be valuable to me and would cost them nothing. A plastic disc that I will leave in a supermarket trolley is less valuable.

If I order over £50 of items, then I'm promised free delievry, But if I want to pre order a new Spitfire Vc then the site wants to charge me £5 postage even if it's part of an order over £50.  If I want to pre-order several kits then only those over £50 get free postgae each of the others is charged £5 for postage.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of good model shops that I use.  I think I would prefer to ask them to make the pre orders for the Vulcan and Spitfire Vc.  That way I'm supporting them, supporting Airfix and not paying excessive postage. I could also pay RRP to an Amazon Prime seller get a kit at or bellow RRP and have it delievred free the next day.

My point here is that if you really want to promote the club membership then make it compelling and valuable and if they think it through they could use it to leverage increased kit sales.

Didn't intend my first post here to be a rant...

Clive

Hi Clive, I suppose a cynic would say the fact the club has sold out means that good value or not its good business for airfix. My attitude was that if you say its £15 (I paid for the £25 pack and got the Kate but thats worth £10 easy) and it gets you 10% discount if you spend over £150 a year on the website you're winning. The club tokens are a nice bonus too. I've been building like a crazy person over lockdown and have something like 130 tokens (not ALL from this year 😆.... I hadn't redeemed a load when the club closed so its 2-3 years worth) Thats a LOT of free kits. My biggest problem with buying from Airfix is the low stock they seem to carry. That reduces the usefulness of the tokens. I had a similar "postage and RRP" issue with a Lancaster III last year. Jadlam racing models did it for £2 cheaper than Airfix list price (the club 10% would have made Airfix £1 cheaper.... but no club discount last year) but Jadlam did free P+P and Airfix didn't. If Airfix had more stock it would be easier to make fewer larger purchases and get past £50. 

My biggest problem with buying from Airfix is the low stock they seem to carry.

I've had conversations with traders and my understanding is that retail outlets get first dibs on stock that arrives at the Airfix warehouse, therefore if there is high demand for any particular product it won't show up on the webstore. If you're searching for any Airfix products, Jadlam are likely to come up trumps.