Southern EMU's

Guest Chrissaf

I am not the original 'discussion starter' for this thread. My ID appears against it as a result of a forum transfer error. This thread was started by Alan.

Plenty of great new steam train models arriving but I hope we can expect an updated 466 emu 4-car perhaps. The previous (only) 466 model was no match for the quality and reliability of the VEP and 2-bils etc. 

Any stock used between the VEP slam doors and the latest HST class 4999 would be great

Alan Chell

• 2 months later...

Four car units tend to be too expensive and too long for quite a few modellers. The 4Vep was not as popular as the 2Bil or 2Hal.

However there is a simple quick win for Hornby which would allow the introduction of the Bulleid profile body shape to the range and allow them to utilise the existing 2Bil/2Hal underframe and power system. That would be to tool up a 'Tin' 2Hal 2693 to 2699, and for which a few Driving Trailer Composites were also built to replace carriages in early 2Hal and 2Bil sets damaged during World War 2. This would enable them to stick to a two coach formation. 

The 2 Nol also has an advantage in that the driving motor brake third is similar to the vehicles used at each end of a former LSWR 4Sub. That does however leave the problem of a Trailer Third or Trailer composite (downgraded to third after 1941). 

If not a Tin Hal, then why not a Bulleid 2Hap 5601 to 5636, or 2Nop 5651 to 5684? These use a similar underframe to the 2Bil/2Hal but have the post Nationalisation designed cab. They have the same underframes because they were basically a 2Nol with a new all steel body.

The 4Lav is quite frankly a non-starter, because it was a four car and was very limited in use, Brighton line only, at least the others worked comprehesively on all sections of the electrified area at some time or another. The 2Nops even spent time in North London!

The 4Cor would indeed be a nice model, but again a four car set is not attractive to manufacturers . It was however somewhat more versatile working as it did out of London Bridge, Victoria and Waterloo Main Line. On the face of it being of Maunsell design it is similar to the locomotive hauled stock already in tnhe Hornby stable, BUT the EMUs were longer and therefore would require 100% tooling.

The 6Pul/6Pan just makes the problem worse being 6 cars , and have the added disadvantage of only really working between London Bridge or Victoria and Worthing or Ore, and not out of Waterloo. For a very short period 6Pan sets did work the Kent Coast services which does give them Eastern Section credentials, but this was only for a limited time.

I would certainly like to see a Tin 2Hal added to the range, or better still a 2Nop.

• 9 months later...

Hi

Just brought this month Hornby magazine with its Midland Region 1948 - 1968 supplement. Don't like the sudden price increase of the magazine.

On the second page of the supplement a full page advert by KR Models on their forth coming 4 DD EMU (Double Decker ) in BR Full Green, Green with small Yellow end and BR Blue. DCC Ready DCC and DCC sound. Advert also in the main magazine.

I know it was on LC&DR wish list.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Imagine a Class 375/377 in three and four car formations, a retooled Class 395, South Western Railway Class 444/450 and Class 455 and Thameslink Class 319, 387 and 700. Not to mention all the amazing liveries those trains have carried over the years and all the coach packs for the 700 and 395

Why not some LMR or LNER EMUs? The only one I know of RTR was the Hornby Dublo unit which is rare and consequently very expensive. The L&Y and the LMS had quite a few for both 3rd rail and OH line. Some that come to mind are the Liverpool/Southport/Wirral 3rd rail sets of which there are various types, the Bury/Manchester side contact third rail both BR and L&Y types, and the Holcombe Branch OH sets, Morecambe/Heysham OH sets, MSJ&A OH sets, Manchester/Glossop original OH sets and the later versions, the 25Kv sets of various types used on the West Coast Mainline, I could go on. The main problem is that most of these are very limited in their geographical area, with the possible exemption of those on the WCML. However, many shared common body types which could easily be made to represent the different classes. We have had a lot of DMU classes available that were used on the LMR and LNER so why not some electric units.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Dear Hornby,

How about a model of the "tin HAL". You can use your existing tooling for the undergubbins. Only the body and interior would need new tools. That would offer the opportunity for a more affordable model, or better margins for your company, or even a bit of both. Plus I'd really like some BR green SYP tin HALs. :-)