Digital lap timings

Scubastephen

I have a digital set with some extensions and a lap counter set up for 4 controllers . I would like to get individual lap times . What is the best way to do this ? One option I believe is to upgrade to Arc Pro if so do you have to use wireless controllers With this ? It's all so confusing for I, thanks in advance . 

Hello Scubastephen,

I'd say your best option would be to upgrade to Arc Pro. This is a ready made system if you can deal with the wireless controllers. I have had the c7042 Advance Power Base (older wired 6 car powerbase). If you go to Scalextric.com and select the GBP site from the top of the webpage in a drop down menu you can still get this unit from England. That would give you individual lap times in real time. However it will not give you a list of laptimes for a given car after to review after a session or race. 

With Arc Pro and the Scalextric Arc App (Android and Apple iOS), or the free Magic Arc App (Adroid, Apple iOS, Windows 10) you will get the ability to see realtime individual lap times. You will also have a history of laptimes at the end of a race, qualifying or just open track session. Arc Pro will require the wireless controllers and the Arc Pro Upgrade kit comes with two controllers. I'm not sure where you are located but in the USA I was able to purchase two more controllers at $27.99 each.

I will say the wireless controllers are really great. They allow for us to spread out around the track to have someone near the areas where crashes happen for faster marshalling. There are a lot of great features in the Arc Pro with an app running off of a phone, tablet or Windows 10 computer. Also with that said you can easily go up to 6 cars with the Arc Pro by just getting more controllers and cars with chips.

There is also a project to build a 4 car laptimer system using a Raspberry Pi and a customer circuit board over on slotforum.com. One that site you could search for "FSR". To me that looks like it might cost close to what the Arc Pro expansion cost ($135.00 at Professormotor.com when I bought a couple of mine). For the FSR project you do have to do all the work, including getting the circuit board printed up, or wiring up a breadboard, getting the eletronic parts and soldering them into place. I'm ging to do this project for fun, but I don't anticipate replacing my Arc Pro with Magic Arc App setup when I'm done.   

I still have two of the old C7042 6 Car Advanced Power Bases and I have 5 Arc Pro powerbases from various sets I purchased. I use two of them on my four lane track so I can have 4 lanes of analog(one car per lane), or a quick change and I can have 4 lanes of digital racing.

If you are in the USA try http://professormotor.com and tell them Phil sent you. I'm not part of Scalextric, Professormotor or any reseller for slot car stuff. I'm just a guy who enjoys the hobby. 

This is a lot but I wanted you to have some options. 

/media/tinymce_upload/3f7c6d9894b9f10a6778dbf717bbae05.jpg

Hello Scubastephen,

I'd say your best option would be to upgrade to Arc Pro. This is a ready made system if you can deal with the wireless controllers. I have had the c7042 Advance Power Base (older wired 6 car powerbase). If you go to Scalextric.com and select the GBP site from the top of the webpage in a drop down menu you can still get this unit from England. That would give you individual lap times in real time. However it will not give you a list of laptimes for a given car after to review after a session or race. 

With Arc Pro and the Scalextric Arc App (Android and Apple iOS), or the free Magic Arc App (Adroid, Apple iOS, Windows 10) you will get the ability to see realtime individual lap times. You will also have a history of laptimes at the end of a race, qualifying or just open track session. Arc Pro will require the wireless controllers and the Arc Pro Upgrade kit comes with two controllers. I'm not sure where you are located but in the USA I was able to purchase two more controllers at $27.99 each.

I will say the wireless controllers are really great. They allow for us to spread out around the track to have someone near the areas where crashes happen for faster marshalling. There are a lot of great features in the Arc Pro with an app running off of a phone, tablet or Windows 10 computer. Also with that said you can easily go up to 6 cars with the Arc Pro by just getting more controllers and cars with chips.

There is also a project to build a 4 car laptimer system using a Raspberry Pi and a customer circuit board over on slotforum.com. One that site you could search for "FSR". To me that looks like it might cost close to what the Arc Pro expansion cost ($135.00 at Professormotor.com when I bought a couple of mine). For the FSR project you do have to do all the work, including getting the circuit board printed up, or wiring up a breadboard, getting the eletronic parts and soldering them into place. I'm ging to do this project for fun, but I don't anticipate replacing my Arc Pro with Magic Arc App setup when I'm done.   

I still have two of the old C7042 6 Car Advanced Power Bases and I have 5 Arc Pro powerbases from various sets I purchased. I use two of them on my four lane track so I can have 4 lanes of analog(one car per lane), or a quick change and I can have 4 lanes of digital racing.

If you are in the USA try http://professormotor.com and tell them Phil sent you. I'm not part of Scalextric, Professormotor or any reseller for slot car stuff. I'm just a guy who enjoys the hobby. 

This is a lot but I wanted you to have some options. 

Nice large track,  Mlleage.

Do racers actually marshall while running at speed on it ?

As another option to find a lap timer , get a used  battery powered analog lap counter and stay in 1 lane.

Practice laps times do not reflect races results but can show what changes to car have done.

Better drivers with slower cars can beat faster cars with lousy drivers.

Used to enjoy beating the fast analog crashers with my slower digital (chip uses a volt) toy.

scuba   Advise not selling off your pb4 and the 4-6 car lapcounter.

You can always use pb4 for fast car id changer and as a separate power source for 4-6 lap counter if it is installed in track (found only 1 of 8 that would work under arc pro power, believe because of incresed power wave width of arc pro) for a day when app is not available.

Use my 4-6 that way almost always with arc pro.