Running Carrera analogue cars on Scalextric track

Clueless123

Hi all,

Hope someone out there can help.

My son got two F1 Carrera cars for Christmas but they are not running properly on his Scalextric track as they appeat to jam if going slowly.

Should I be filing the guide blades down or what?  If so, should they be narrower or shorter or both?

Would love some help as currently have a very dissappointed child in the house.

Thanks in advance.

Running your Carerra F1 cars on Scalextric track should be fairly easy. 

I have a number of Carerra cars and the issue has always been the length of the guide blades causes it to wedge on some turns. Also there have been occassions where I was at a track made of older slot car track (SCX or Classic Track ) and the guide blade wedged in the curve slots. 

Check the packaging for the cars. Carerra provides a red guild blade to run their cars on other brands of track. You could also just trim the original guide blade ( that came on the car ) length so it does not get caught in the curves.

Either way trim the blade or look for the red alternate blade that came in the package. 

Best regards,

Mileage712 (Phil) 

Running your Carerra F1 cars on Scalextric track should be fairly easy. 

I have a number of Carerra cars and the issue has always been the length of the guide blades causes it to wedge on some turns. Also there have been occassions where I was at a track made of older slot car track (SCX or Classic Track ) and the guide blade wedged in the curve slots. 

Check the packaging for the cars. Carerra provides a red guild blade to run their cars on other brands of track. You could also just trim the original guide blade ( that came on the car ) length so it does not get caught in the curves.

Either way trim the blade or look for the red alternate blade that came in the package. 

Best regards,

Mileage712 (Phil) 

Hi Phil,

Many thanks.  They came from Jadlam but don't have annything in the box to make any changes.  Will contact Jadlam and see what they say.  

Must admit I am a bit loath to start chopping up the guide blade in case I overdo it.

Many thanks again,

Andrew

If your carerra cars came in the carerra packaging then there should be a plastic bag with extra pickup brushes and a red guide blade. Look closely at the box the cars came in.

As for trimming the guide blades it's easiest with some type of grinding tool (dremel tools are popular with hobbies here in the USA). Just look at the size of a Scalextric guide blade and trim the Carerra blade to be maybe just a hair deeper and longer. That way if you need to make a fine adjustment to trimming you still have some room to do so. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
If you are using any form of ARC (ONE, AIR, PRO) the guide blades have to be painted black for them to work.
Nail polish, black marker, voodoo rituals have all worked in the past..

I think this might be outdated info. I use the Red Guide rail on my ARC setup and the laps count fine.

Thanks for the input!

The ARC products use infra red light to trigger lap counting and other features.

It could be the red blade is just opaque enough to trigger this.

For many years Scalextric sold cars with blue guides which usually don't work. White after market are almost guaranteed to not work....

So if you are having problems it only takes a few minutes to paint it black and see if that is the problem...

Small FYI: Most Carrera cars, particularly the 1/43 Go! models have stronger magnets than their Hornby counterparts. They will stick to track more but the motor may get very hot....

PS: You can convert Carrera cars to Scalextric digital for use on ARC PRO in digital mode by using the C7005 retro chip... (not required for ARC ONE or ARC AIR....)

• 1 year later...

i have scalextric arc pro digital setup, my question is, i saw a vid on youtube showing a carrera car with front and rear working lights but also brake lights, i understand that to make that car run on my track i would need the c7005 chip, is that correct? and by changing the chip would i still have the brake light effect when stopping?

Regarding the first post fro Clueless: The guide blade on Carrera cars is much thicker and longer. You have to replace it with the red one in the package or get an after market one OR you can cut and shave it down until it works.

@TOM: Probably not unless you are very good at electronics. In order to get a Carrera digital car to work in digital on Scalextric you have to remove the Carrera digital plug and replace it with a C7005. That means though that the lights will only work when the car he is running and the brake lights will likely not work.

There IS a way to hook everything up to the various connection on the chip but it requires knowledge of electronics and how to solder small 1-3 mm thick wires...