Planet & Patentee

LTSR_NSE

• 3 weeks later...

These early locomotives might make a nicer alternative to the rather motley collection of cheap 0-4-0s.

A simple but reliable mechanism could be developed with a diecast body to assist traction. A 2-2-2 to be driven on the leading and trailing axles with the large centre single driver as idlers. A simple 4 wheel tender and basic hook and link and only the minimum necessary detail, these could prove to be quite attractive.

• 1 year later...

Lion R30232 has sold out and a second run announced.

All three runs of Rocket R3809, R3910, and R3956 have sold out. No new runs announced, but three runs sold out within such a short time span is fantastic business.

Surely Hornby can see the vitality and interest of Enthusiasts in their sales.

Patentee is the precursor to all steam locomotives that follow, they are merely variations of the Patentee theme. The Marklin Adler shows that Enthusiasts know and appreciate the Patentee design. Patentee would be most welcome on my layout.

Planet, LMR9, is extremely well known due to the reproduction locomotive at the NRM. I would simply adore Planet on my layout. An Enthusiast who knows of Rocket and Lion, surely is aware of Planet.

If the levers on the foot plate of Planet would oscillate as they do on the prototype, I would be thrilled. Its quite simple to implement via a cranked axle. It is not necessary to make the cranked axle the extent of the prototype, but simply enough to make the levers move.

I'm frankly surprised that Hornby have not already made this available as a pre-order to judge interest.