New Australian NSW TAM Coaches HL4010, HL4011, HL4012

Rew

Does anyone here have recently purchased Lima Expert or modern Lima items? If so, how deep are the flanges on the wheels?

I recently purchased the new Australian NSW TAM Coaches, codes HL4010, HL4011 and HL4012. They are a re-issue of the old NSW prodcued by Lima in the early 90's. The flanges on the wheels are less than 1 mm in depth and they keep bouncing off especially on curves. Have they had the wrong wheels fitted or these the flange depths of modern HO rolling stock?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew

Most of the Chinese made ex Lima product is fitted with finer scale

wheels than the original Italian made product. In many cases as the

bogie mouldings are identical it is possible to fit the coarser scale

wheels that is if you can find them !!!!

I would expect when ARM asked Hornby to re-run the Lima coaches to go with their new model of the C38 they asked for NMRA RP25 standard wheel sets.

If your track is laid well you shouldn't have any problems. You can probably change them to NEM profile wheels which I would expect Hornby to offer for the International models. (I don't know what standards are used for OO models)

I would suggest that you contact ARM about the wheels, its their project.

I think your best bet is to look for the earlier coarse scale Lime wheels which should fit in the bogie moulding as it is unlikely these were modified when

made in China. I agree the smaller wheels look a little silly but these seem to be the new Chinese HO standard fitted to both coaches and wagons. I don't think Hornby 00 wheels will fit as their axle length is probably longer.

Cheers Bill,

I have managed to get them to stay on the track !

Being profiled wheels they are so sensitive to track and track sections. I found one derailed when passing across a right hand curved point; the outside blade was only extremely slightly out of alignment with the rail. It looked with in tolerance spec too. Changing it for an old Hornby curved point, no problem.

Derailing also occurs if the rails where connected appear to be in alignment, but similar to the point the bounce off.

I will try though to get old wheels though.

Thanks, Andrew