What size of decoder does Thomas and Friends Edward take?

So, I'm new to DCC decoding, and picked up a Thomas and Friends Edward on Ebay. Got a good price for him, at £89.99 ("him,"like the model is sentient, haha!).

I've seen a few video reviews of the model and they always say the model is DCC ready. Yet, none of them actually show what size of decoder to get and, ideally, I'd like to order the right decoder, so I can run the model, when it arrives.

Honestly, I'm not too fussy about sound, in any way, but if someone can tell me whether the model take a 4-pin or 21-pin (or whatever there is in between) and whether it would be worth the effort to fit a stay alive unit as well, that would be a big help.

Hi Ross & Chris, There are two versions of Edward, both are tender drive.

Early one R9232, tender not permently attached.

Later version R9289, loco wired to tender and tender permently connected.

I have not opened up the tenders but maybe different workings/motors.Tender wheels and visible gear cogs are different.

My R9232 example has date of 2010 on loco base.R9289 has 2015 on base.

You may need to advise which Edward you have.

Regards

As ever, Hornby have muddied the water! Service Sheet 425 purports to relate to model R9232 and shows a decoder socket on the rear face of the tender motor casing, but also a drawbar screwed to both loco and tender with (although not illustrated) what must be a wired connection between the loco pick-ups and the decoder socket. This appears to be more akin to New Lad's R9289.

There does not appear to be a Service Sheet for R9232 with the sprung drawbar but the description on Hattons website states that there is not a decoder socket.

Hi, further information which may be of help.

Like Gordon,R383, Edwards tender was a Hornby schools tender., also James tender is similar.

Early Gordon tender is the same connections as early Edward. Likewise for the later Gordon’s and Edward,s they also are the same also.

Later Gordon is R9291.

May be easier to check service sheets for Gordon for the wiring.Quick check could be service sheet 247b, to show same type of tender wiring.There is also a pdf in Hornby support that shows you how to wire James tender for a chip, which once again seems to be the same tender.

Regards

Thanks for all the responses, folks. I haven't received the loco, as of yet (Not expected until the 17th). I do know, however, that the engine has the tender wired and attached. But now that I know it has an 8-pin socket, I now know what to shop for.

If anyone can recommend some good decoders, that would also be helpful. I bought a Lais DCC 21-pin for my Bachmann midland compound, and that works really well.

• 4 months later...