Poor running with TTS J36

john_ruddy

I've just bought and fitted a TTS decoder into my Hornby J36, leaving aside the issues of trying to get it to actually fit inside the loco it was designed for, I have been plagued with poor running. The loco was tested on my layout on DC, and run in, and the performance, even at slow speed was really good.

However, it now has a stutter. It seems to stall, which obviously causes the sound to stop and then restart. On occasion, the loco will restart by itself, but usually it may need to the tiniest of nudges. The track is well cleaned, other locos do not have the same problem. Here is a clip of the problem in action:

Now I have, on advice from elsewhere, changed some of the CVs, which seems to have improved things somewhat. But its not cured it.

CV150=1

CV153=255

CV154=1

Any suggestions? I am using a Bachmann Dynamis if that has any bearing.

@John.........I have several TTS steam decoders and I have only ever changed CV150 to 1 and always achieved smooth running. I would suggest you return CV153 to default 215 and CV154 to default 115, do a test run and report back your findings........HB

@John.........I have several TTS steam decoders and I have only ever changed CV150 to 1 and always achieved smooth running. I would suggest you return CV153 to default 215 and CV154 to default 115, do a test run and report back your findings........HB

Is this common with the Steam ones? I've fitted a couple of Class 66 ones and they've really worked fine out of the box.