French Capitol SNCF BB 9288

All,

I recently purchased a frame and motor for a Jouef engine through ebay. The seller had tested it on the French Capitol SNCF BB 9288 (year unknown). Ebay sometimes just offers the hulls of (Jouef) engines. In addition to the BB9288, what other engines would fit this frame that had two two-wheel bogies?

Image 1 - Jouef HO scale Loco. Chases with motor in great condition for French Capitol

I would suggest pulling the service sheets for engines with the same general size and wheel configuration and compare part numbers, as I suspect there may be some commonality there.

Service sheets for the continental ranges seem to be very comprehensive in detail.

If not then it is going to be a case of looking at dimensions of similar configuration prototypes and hope Jouef have accurately modelled to those engines. Some modelling skills are likely to be needed to adapt a close match body mount to go on your chassis frame.

It might be worth your while looking at the very comprehensive website run by my French ami Philippe Galaup - Google lestrainsjouef@free.fr

You can find service sheets there for all Jouef products pre Hornby takeover.

As regards the chassis you have it is common to all the BB 9200 electrics in each livery and to some of the early BB 67000 diesels.

I think that one has the bogies for the BB 67000 diesels. It should also I fit contemporary Jouef BB 25100 electric locos which were the dual voltage version of the 9200. I don’t know if Jouef did a version of the BB 16000 25Kv ac but it should also fit if they did.

There are several versions of the chassis for these locos, this one has single bogie drive from the small motor. You need a body that has the four holes in the correct place in the body to take that particular chassis, there are several versions that changed over time. If buying a body I would also check whether it is from one of the sold alone locos or the set version. Some of the earlier locos, and those used in the cheaper sets have fixed pantographs and moulded cables and insulators, the better ones have proper pantographs, wire cables and separate insulators plus separate horns.

If you go for the BB67000 diesel body, again there are several types. The earliest has separately fitted aluminium parts and handrails with see through grilles and was all axle drive. The later version (I have a couple with the chassis you have) has moulded ones that the paint rubs off, the body is made of a cheaper plastic and there is a hole in the roof for the clockwork version that was produced. None of these are the more recent well detailed version.

The most important thing with these chassis is to keep all the contacts clean, the motors aren’t the best but they are pretty bomb proof and as long as the power can get to them they will run fine.

Sorry forgot to mention. The Jouef BB67000 diesel was also made in two non-authentic colours. The red version is quite common and I have one with this chassis and a very bright light which shines through the plastic. A green version was also made which I think had the later chassis with the motor in the bogie and seems to be quite rare. It may have only been made for one particular set.

Other manufacturers have also made this particular loco in red including Lima and I think Fleishchmann.

I could not put it better myself. Regarding the Jouef 67000 although the red colour made at the time for train sets was spurious, recently SNCF have repainted one of these locos in "Capitole " red as a special loco to haul trains of defunct locos to their final resting place.

I also forgot to mention that Fleischmann never made a 67000 but a 68000

and not in red. Lima made a 67000 in blue and also red and an N scale version in blue. Yes the Jouef BB 9200 chassis was also fitted to BB 16000 and 25000 in it's many forms see lestrainjouef@free.fr. Mostly fitted with three pole motors but later with five pole.

Bill, do you know who else made the red version? I have definitely seen a high end factory produced version of the 67000 in red and it wasn’t Lima or Jouef.

Getting back to the BB9200, Jouef made an early version which I think was 6v and had fixed pantographs. They also did a clockwork version I think in red and green. I have the green version. I also have another red clockwork OH electric but can’t remember what class it is. If I can get to it later I will have a look.

Jouef also did a red version of the 9200 with single arm pantographs but on this occasion it was prototypical as they were for the named train Le Capitole. I think Lima also did one.

The British Rail D6100 that Jouef produced under the Playcraft name can be found with several different bogies including those off the BB9200 and the BB67000, I also have one example that I don’t recognise. They all have the same mechanism, just different frames. The later version produced under the Jouef name has raised numbers and bogies off a German electric loco I think. The early versions of this loco (like the BB9200 and the BB67000 are the best with brass gears, huge can motor and all wheel drive. The later versions go through plastic gears and eventually the single bogie drive with the small motor.

@RT

I think your looking for the Roco BB9200 .

I think its been released a few times as a Capitole locomotive, the Capitole coaches have certainly been out a few times. I think in the late 80s or early 90s and again within the last decade. Might be wrong......SNCF isn't really my thing!

Edit: Just noticed this thread has deviated from the 9200 to the 67000...!