Connecting HM6000 to track

Arty1707822014

Hi , is it possible to cut off the twin pin connector and solder the wires directly to the track as I have done with previous controllers , currently using Hornby track clips and they are terrible as when you plug in HM6000 the connection is very loose . I would prefer to solder wires directly to track

Yes no problem at all doing that as long as you are content to have the module permanently connected to your track. The disadvantage is you cannot easily swap polarity if you need to, so you have to get it right first time, else de/resolder.

What you might like to try is solder a couple of short lengths of wire to your track, then feed these into a bit of 3-amp choc block terminal strip, which is the correct size and pitch to take your two pin plug. This saves needlessly chopping your module wires. You may be able to find a plug together choc block strip of the correct pitch and just use the socket bit.

The other alternative if your track is still ‘adjustable’ is to replace an R600 track piece with a DCC power track with the push button terminals that hold the two pin plug reliably.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I have an R8206 DC Power Track which is used to connect an H M Controller. Can I use this to connect an HM6000 or should I be using an R8241 DCC Power Track? I thought DC powered tracks required interference suppression? I have three concentric loops successfully connected using IRJs and planned to buy two more Power Tracks for convenience to replace two R602 Power Connectors  . So should I buy two R8241 DCC Power Tracks or two R8206 DC Power Tracks ? Thankyou

3 hours ago, MartinSB said:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. I have an R8206 DC Power Track which is used to connect an H M Controller. Can I use this to connect an HM6000 or should I be using an R8241 DCC Power Track? I thought DC powered tracks required interference suppression? I have three concentric loops successfully connected using IRJs and planned to buy two more Power Tracks for convenience to replace two R602 Power Connectors  . So should I buy two R8241 DCC Power Tracks or two R8206 DC Power Tracks ? Thankyou

The 6000 module is essentially a pair of loco decoders but rather than power a loco motor direct they power the rails which power the loco. From that you can see either type of power track is suitable as there is no DCC signal on the rails.

Thankyou I will buy the R8206 which will allow me to choose which controller to use on each loop and keep the interference suppression feature on all three loops; and the sidings when I get around to adding them

Agree with RAF you don’t need DCC types but then, in this day and age, you don’t actually need RF suppression either. You could simply connect by soldering a bus wire from the controllers to the rails in each loop. 

The 6000 has 2 x twin pronged plugs, so you can plug these into a choc-block strip and divide out from there to a bus for each loop if extensive, else they simply plug into the power tracks.

Fishy - I was reading on the authoritative Facebook (posted by an American) saying that motor suppression was only needed in Uk and those other places that use 220-240v 50Hz, and that they didn't need it as they were 110-120v and 60Hz. Sounds kosher to me 😵‍💫 👨‍🎓

• Thanks 1

Interesting but unkosher. We are not talking about mains hum here, 50 or 60Hz, we are talking about RF (radio frequency) AM (amplitude modulated) hash, possibly produced by a poor switchmode supply, but more likely by the motor.

When TVs were AM, that could be a problem.  Now, with FM/digital TVs, not an issue in general.

• Like 1