Should the car make this noise?

Hello,

So my son got his Scalextric last Christmas and since then we've moved house.

This year he got a few more cars so we set up and played.

He wanted to go back to the cars he got first and then found one of them sounded really high pitched. I wasn't sure if the motor has gone wrong?

Any advice greatly received. We have used it a few times but it's not been permanently up before.

If the sound is like a very high pitched whine when the throttle is pressed this is quite normal for some cars. The best way to see if it's normal is to depress the throttle every so slightly and listen for the high pitched sound. You should here it when the throttle is so slight that the car has not even been able to move. If this is so then I would not worry too much as I own a few cars that emit this noise. Mostly I only hear it when it quiet in the room and/or there are no other cars running.

The other possibility is the cars have set a very long time in storage and maybe a bit of lubrication is in order. This may cause a car to have a high pitched sound from the gears where they mesh together. I'll recommend you try a local hobby shop or order some plastic gear lube. You'll only need a very little lubrication if at all.