Hornby in big legal trouble???

Commander Shepard

And considering hornby are worth £37M Studio canal €5.7B. Even if hornby were in the right, Studio canal have the financial resources to keep delaying and asking for continuances to drain hornbys bank dry before it even got to the court room. It’s a tricky one, and risky with shares down almost 8% after the range launch debacle.

That is why I said Hornby were a bit naive, taking on Rapido, yes Hornby could bleed them dry but a big film studio, forget it. Surely Hornby realised a 20% rise in 6 months could cause issues, having said that I just got a mail from TCS to say their products were going up 20%. I had to think twice as to who TCS were then I realise they were the firm that makes the really small DCC decoder. The TCS decoder was expensive before the rise, so no big issue for me.

@ColinB very true bud. It is interesting that Dapol only issued a 4% increase, and I don’t believe Bachmann will increase, if the Bachmann USA tlk is to be believed. They are owned by a multi billion dollar company so can prob absorb the costs till things settle back down. Somehow I don’t think hornby will reduce their prices even if shipping went back down to pre-pandemic levels. Personally I think it just shows it’s time to come back to the UK, or at the very least the EU. Look at Roco, they are one of the premium manufacturers in the world, with the most advanced and complicated models, yet they are cheaper than Hornby now and are made in the EU. Yes it can be expensive to move production back but with the new wage increases in China and cost of shipping for UK wages certainly even out. I think things will pay for themselves over a few years, and will certainly have more respect with the public being that it’s not made in a nation that promotes genocide and slave labour.

Bachmann's prices seem to have gone up just as much as Hornby's to me, but maybe they went up earlier. When introduced a couple of years ago, the newly tooled J72's rrp was already about £105-110 - quite steep compared to Hornby's newly tooled Terrier. Now it's £130 on their website - pretty much the same as the Terrier. (which usually has a more intricate livery, so could easily justify a higher price).

Similarly, their newly tooled V2 has an rrp of £230, matching Hornby's A2.

I'm interested to see how the price of Oxford Rail models (previously excellent value) change now that they are, I believe, owned by Hornby.

OK, copyright lasts for 50 years of the original author (that being whoever produced it) As 50 years have passed this may now be "rights of ownership" I doubt Studio Canal have copyright of the film, just, "rights" They maybe able to be awkward on this score. Regarding the other maker, then Hornby are just making a version of it, and not labelling it Rapido. Rails have made a Terrier, so have Hornby. Has the copyright of Stroudley been infringed? Has Hornby's rights been infringed? All my photos, now in the National Archive, are copyright marked and can be used with my permission for the next 40 years.

https://www.gov.uk/copyright

No doubt others will have thoughts

@VESPA it’s 50years after the original author or his/her partners/heirs/heiress’ pass away. Hence why Beethoven is not public domain. And the movie is an original piece of copyright by the studio that funded it, as its unique in comparison to the book, I would post the link to the copyright and trademark filings for you but it doesn’t appear I can post links here. I would happily send you the details if you DM me 😊

Mod note - links will post correctly if you copy the actual direct link and not an indirect link. You can also copy and paste them into say Word and change them to hyperlinks, then copy and paste back here.

Mod note - there is no DM [Direct Messaging] also termed 'Private Messaging' capability on this forum.

Mmmm.

1. Stop people using your work.

How long copyright lasts.

Copyright protection starts as soon as a work is created. Once your copyright has expired, anyone can use or copy your work.

The length of copyright depends on the type of work.

Type of work How long copyright usually lasts Written, dramatic, musical and artistic work 70 years after the author’s death Sound and music recording 70 years from when it’s first published Films 70 years after the death of the director, screenplay author and composer Broadcasts 50 years from when it’s first broadcast Layout of published editions of written, dramatic or musical works25 years from when it’s first published