Wish List 2023

Hurricane Boy

Just one last request from me on this part of the forum for a while. Would it not be possible for Airfix to publish a list of older kits that, for whatever reason, will probably not be re-released as a vintage classic ( through damaged or lost molds etc. ). It will save us having to ask for them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one last request from me on this part of the forum for a while. Would it not be possible for Airfix to publish a list of older kits that, for whatever reason, will probably not be re-released as a vintage classic ( through damaged or lost molds etc. ). It will save us having to ask for them.

I doubt they would do that for commercial/second guessing the opposition reasons. I think it's beyond dispute that the SAM-2 and Free Enterprise tools were lost. It would be an interesting exercise to go back through the old catalogue and surmise what may or may not be re-released. It might be one for the historians over at the Airfix Tribute Forum.

I doubt they would do that for commercial/second guessing the opposition reasons. I think it's beyond dispute that the SAM-2 and Herald of Free Enterprise tools were lost. It would be an interesting exercise to go back through the old catalogue and surmise what may or may not be re-released. It might be one for the historians over at the Airfix Tribute Forum.

Actually I didn't know about the Herald of Free Enterprise. I'm sure there are a few more kits we won't see again because of circumstances, not choice. It would be good to have a list though to save the trouble of asking for things that there are no longer molds for. Having said that I have mentioned before the idea of reverse engineering old kits to build new molds from old parts. I'm sure the technology is available, it's just a matter of making it profitable.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a list that is based on my 2019 ideas. To my surprise, Airfix have produced a large number of my Wish List Kits, so I left them off this list.

1/72 AVRO Manchester New Tool 2 Versions.

1/72 Hawker Hunter F6 New Tool Replacement for old tooling.

1/72 Bomber Support Figures New Tool To go with Vehicles

1/72 H.P. Hampden BI New Tool 3 Decal choices.

1/72 DH88 Comet Racer New Tool 3 Versions

1/72 Gloster Javelin FR9/9R New Tool

1/72 Supermarine Spitfire IIa New Decals Spitfire I Kit.

1/72 Bristol Beaufighter NF1 New Decals Gibson / Cunningham

1/72 Hawker Hurricane I New Parts Metal Wing version.

1/72 Douglas DC-3 New Decals BEA / Sabena / New seats

1/48 DH Vampire T11 New Tool

1/48 Supermarine Swift FR5 New Tool

1/48 HP Provost T3 New Tool

1/48 RAF Ground Crew New Tool 1950-1960 to suit Javelin / Hunter

1/48 Land Rover ( RAF ) New Tool 1950-1960 to suit Javelin / Hunter

1/48 DH88 Comet Racer New Tool 3 Versions

1/48 B P Defiant NF1 New Decals

1/48 Hawker Hurricane I New Parts Fabric wing. 3 Versions.

1/48 Austin 'Tilly.' New Tool

1/24 BAe Hawk T1a New Tool

1/72 Reissues.  

McDonnell Banshee F2

F-27 Friendship Original Aer Lingus Markings

Bronco OV 10D

Arrow II

BAC Strikemaster

Douglas Skyray

F-105 Thunderchief

T-45 Goshawk Tooled but not released.

Extra Sprues

HP Halifax  New Clear Sprue and decals.

AVRO Anson New Clear Sprue and decals.

SS France Replacement parts for damaged parts.

Various Cars etc

Sunbeam Rapier

Austin Heally Sprite

BMC 1100

Dennis Fire Engine

Triumph TR4

BMC Maxi

Morris Marina

Ford Capri

Ford Zephyr

Ships RMS Canberra

Dinosaur Range Wallace and Grommit Sets

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a Blenheim Mk V in 1/72

As far as I know no one else does one.

Also to accompany the excellent 1/48 Blenheim Mk I

A 1/48 Blenheim Mk IV bomber variant.

A 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vb new tool

1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109 F2/4

1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G6 new tool

1/72 Hurricane Mk IId

1/72 Sea Gladiator

1/72 Macchi 200 (serious gap in the market with this one, with only a very old Revell kit available)

Also more RAF/USAF/Luftwaffe ground vehicles in 1/72!

When Airfix brought out the 1/76 vehicle range, the non airfield vehicles we're largely themed around the North African campaign.

good idea, there were a lot of very interesting vehicles used by both sides especially in the early part, so I'd like to ask for the 1/76th range to be retooled, yeah, I know unlikely, but I'll ask anyway.

But there are other vehicles, as far as I know the 1/72nd Panzer IIIs out there are all Ausf L and later variants.

A Panzer III Ausf G or H, the workhorse of the Afrika Korps would fill a serious gap in the market.

Similarly a Valentine would be a good seller I think. Italeri do do a Mk I, however, I'm given to understand at there are issues with it.

Also, the A9, A10 and A13 cruiser tanks which were the backbone of the British armoured units in the first few years of the war are seriously under represented in 1/72!

I'll go away and dream now....

I second your comments on 1/76, David! The newly tooled Cromwell (2011) and Königstiger (2012) are really nice and it would have been great if Airfix continued issuing new subjects in this scale, either updating older kits or casting new subjects altogether (ideally both with newly molded figures). I would definitely go in for new German and Allied armor and artillery with the finesse and detail that modern tooling allows for.

We have bucket loads of Spitfire aeroplanes, various Panzer tanks, lots of HMS this that and the other, and dozens of old buses. etc. So how about something that is all but ignored? Okay so they only made just over seventy but it did serve throughout the swinging sixties. I will let Airfix guess its name. Here is a clue - there is one perfect example sitting in the Fleet Air Arm Museum waiting for the Airfix "Lidar" team.

forum_image_635fc14a58d58.png.0d700b273c1f25d358277d0d2ec6c343.png