'Paying attention to the forum' by Hornby

'as far as I am aware no other major manufacturer has a retail operation.'

Roco and Atlas have webshops, both pretty major manufacturers. As Roco are probably the largest manufacturer of DB locomotives and stock, I would have expected a DB fan to know that! blush

'This particular part of the Forum is entitled “Forum and Website Feedback.'

The key part of this is feedback. Feedback may take the form of a suggestion or observation, usually positive or constructive. If you are wondering whether a particular individual agrees with you or not, then you should perhaps ask them.

'as far as I am aware no other major manufacturer has a retail operation.'
Roco and Atlas have webshops, both pretty major manufacturers. As Roco are probably the largest manufacturer of DB locomotives and stock, I would have expected a DB fan to know that! blush

I did say as far as I am aware. I think you will find Roco support their dealer network to a higher degree than Hornby do according to some people.

• 4 weeks later...
@DBfan
Also Hornby ought to decide wether they are a manufacturer or retailer, they can`t be both........

Accurascale, sell both direct and to shops Dapol also I believe.

It upsets dealers well that’s just tough, Hornby brought in the 10% maximum discount on new released models to help retailers. But then retailers sell their own models, a bit rich wanting it both ways then getting upset because Hornby does the same thing.

@DBfan
Also Hornby ought to decide wether they are a manufacturer or retailer, they can`t be both........

It upsets dealers well that’s just tough, Hornby brought in the 10% maximum discount on new released models to help retailers. But then retailers sell their own models, a bit rich wanting it both ways then getting upset because Hornby does the same thing.

You think Hornby told retailers to only discount their new products for a certain time to help retailers?

Are you serious?

My local Tier 1 model shop in Norwich (Great Eastern Models) discounts all makes and all scales usually by 10% and they claim that they will match the box-shifters' prices. They have a selling page on FB and you can see the boxes marked with RRP and Sale Prices.

You think Hornby told retailers to only discount their new products for a certain time to help retailers?
Are you serious?
yes, and yes it dose play into Hornby’s favour. But it stops the big box shifters from undercutting the smaller outslet’s. To the amounts which was happening before Hornby and Bachmann brought in those terms.

yes, and yes it dose play into Hornby’s favour. But it stops the big box shifters from undercutting the smaller outslet’s. To the amounts which was happening before Hornby and Bachmann brought in those terms.

I can assure you that the retailer I've spoken to does not appreciate Hornby dictating how he runs his business and how he sets his prices.

Smaller shops may have lower overheads and the one I spoke to claims he would sell more and, as a result, make more money if he wasn't tied to such a draconian practice.

A 25% margin is far better on ten units than 30% on three.

The only people benefiting from this practice is Hornby, to give them a chance to sell more directly at what is clearly an inflated price.

@DBfan

Are you serious?

Yes I am. When retailers can`t order what they want is a poor show. If shops can`t sell a good range of models what is the point.The danger then is that model shops will close there will be no model shops left and therefore no choice of where to purchase your models. I had thirty three years in the model trade and I am glad I am out of it.

@Fazy

Are you serious?
Yes I am. When retailers can`t order what they want is a poor show. If shops can`t sell a good range of models what is the point.The danger then is that model shops will close there will be no model shops left and therefore no choice of where to purchase your models. I had thirty three years in the model trade and I am glad I am out of it.

You've lost me.

You said "...Hornby brought in the 10% maximum discount on new released models to help retailers".

How does this help retailers who should be obv. determining their own business model and setting their own prices?

i said that, as I said in the 1st reply 10% max discount was to even the sales across the all shops.

Yes a smaller shop might prefer to sell more at a lower cost. But the box sifters where killing the smaller shops by buying much larger amounts of x,y&z models. much cheaper then a smaller shop. Due to buying power. They then could sell below the cost price a smaller shop could buy in at. And still make a profit.

the discount price is set for a period from release I believe it’s 10weeks from release date. Well that was mentioned when it was 1st brought in anyway it may have changed. However nothing stops them discounting after the set period is up. But it’s funny the shops don’t bother.

There’s a topic on this on RMweb. What it was for, why and who brought it in. (If memory is right it was Bachmann 1st that changed the rules) It’s been a few years now maybe 5 years could even be more possible. But if your interested have a read. I think there’s staments from one of the RTR manufacturers as to why this was done.

oh yes and this rule was brought in under pressure from the modellers and the smaller shops, this killed the bargains which use to be available. Many locos at 50% and multiple buys of wagons and coaches at greatly reduced prices. It was possible to buy a slow seller and 10 wagons for the same price of a loco of the same class but in a more favourable livery.