Info please on the i6000 and if you can use link wires

Matty1707822508

Hi my name is Matt and other than the tiny layout I made with my now deceased pop and now I’d my second and main lot of sanity during covid. Anyway sorry back to the point I have the large track mat full and are now extending the track and town. I’m looking at getting a i6000 cause my layout is good for both operation and just going round around. But if I have already both main lines linked with link wires. Wat I would like to know pls is does that then mean that’s one channel on the i6000 and I can use another set of link wires to connect new section and another section and have that as say channel 2 on the i6000. So basically I can run up to 4 trains or at least be able to control 2-3. Any help would b greatful thank u matt

i6000 is the train set. The HM6000 module included in that set has a capability of 1.5 amps output to the track via two channels. Think of these two channels as two single DC controllers in one box, each capable of providing 0.75 amps.

If you link two loops together both trains will run under control of one channel, so what one does the other will do, but only if their combined current draw is within the limits of that single channel.

If you want to control both trains separately then use one channel for each loop, then use another HM6000 module to control two more trains in your sidings.

Remember if buying an extra module you will need an extra power supply.

You can however use your existing DC controller alongside the HM6000 modules for extra control, just ensure you have insulating fishplates between your controlled sections else the kit will short if cross polarity is selected i.e. one track set forward and another set reverse with their point switched to connect them.

Thanks so much for information, I had a bad feeling that would b the case and have to buy more I6000’s plus I also have about 8 point motors so that also mean several decoders but looks like my best bet is ultimately go DCC just was hoping to get away Dc for a bit. DC has sent me broke so far, I fell down the rabbit hole!!! But yes I think DCC may be a beta investment. I was only thinking of I6000 for more train control but from wat I’ve seen DCC is the best to aim for. Again appreciate ur help

Hi Matty, welcome to the forum.

For information all images are held for moderation before being published. This is usually a quick process and you should see a banner notice to this effect. Your duplicate post has been deleted.

Nice photo by the way, you started the hobby much younger than I did.

R-

8 point motors means 2 x HM6010 modules and power supplies noting that port 4 of the module is more suited to running a 12v load such as a turntable rather than a solenoid, hence subject to experience you may have to go to the maximum of 3 x 6010s to get reliable results.

• 1 year later...

Hi I’m sooo sorry haven’t looked at my profile cause had another question but unfortunately I couldn’t really say 100% as I actually hadn’t ran two trains due to track work but the layout which had the link wires certainly drove and worked normally till i started changin the polarity then it had a problem l. But two separate circuits it’ll do easy otherwise insulated fish plates

If you switch direction then you are swapping polarity just the same as if it was regular DC control so you are introducing a self made short. You have to adopt a discipline for moving a loco from one circuit to another across points. Turn down the controller, match direction, switch the points, etc.

• Like 1