Latest Completed Models

Torment30

I tend to do RAF aircraft but the lightning was a lovely aircraft pity it didn't serve in RAF

Hi rod the RAF did have some P38 lightings for evaluation but went no further, different from the usaf versions.

cant remember what mk they were but some of the differences were that the raf version had the same engines on each wing to keep inline with only having a few different types of engines in service, so the raf engines rotated in the same direction, the usaf engines rotated in different directions counteracting each other.

The raf also ordered the engine without the super charger on it ( from what i can remember) leaving it under powered.

not sure what armament they came with either it was a long time since i red it and cant remember what book / magazine it was in.

this might give you a research project and add them to your collection

paul

Hi Rod,

I did not take your comments in a negative way.

As far as I know all of your comments on the P-38 are true. Lockheed built the P-322 for the French, the aircraft did not have left and right-handed engines making the plane very difficult to handle from engine torque. I don't think the French really cared, evidently, they just needed anything that would fly. The French omitted the superchargers limiting the effectiveness of the Lightning at altitude but saving on the complexity of the superchargers and its related equipment. The French weren't looking for a fighter per say, the lightning was needed for ground attack, so the superchargers were not desired.

The P-38 was designed for handed engines so it could not perform well at all.

The RAF took over almost all of the outstanding French orders and among others was this very poor P-38. The British needed high-altitude fighters and the P-38 was not effective above 12000 feet. The British cancelled the orders for the lightning (rightly so) and the completed aircraft were taken on by the USAAF where some were modified with the handed F engines making them effective as home defense and trainers but still with limitations on high altitude performance.

The P-38 did evolve into a good fighter and bomber, but it took some time and Europe was running out of time. It took time to work out issues like tail flutter, compressibility and other aerodynamic issues also.

Regards,

Randall

Having managed to zoom in on pictures now, it looks to me it should have chips. Pretty well worn looking now.
I couldn’t zoom in on pictures on my pic needed to look on iPad.
However it is your decision and what you wanted it to look like.
Rod

Thanks guys, I did add some light chipping, not enough to really see on camera but a subtle amount on the upper wings.

I have a bunch more to do so I might experiment with some heavier chipping on several of them. Stay tuned.

Randall

• 4 weeks later...

And of course, a signed copy of Marge B0ngs book.

Randall

Nice Commemoration to a great fighter pilot. I visited the Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center in Superior WI a few years ago and was impressed with their presentation. Your model certainly does his memory justice as well!

I love the cameo painting of Marge on the fuselage.

Great Work Randall

Cheers,

Tim

Randall
Nice Commemoration to a great fighter pilot. I visited the Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center in Superior WI a few years ago and was impressed with their presentation. Your model certainly does his memory justice as well!
Great Work Randall

Cheers,
Tim

Thank you, Tim, I too have seen the B0ng museum in Poplar and Superior Wisconsin. I agree, it's done nicely. I am doing three of Richards lightnings, the P-38H is here on this forum and I have one more P-38J to do of the lightning her flew just prior to Marge.

Randall

Randall
Great Work Randall

Cheers,
Tim
Thank you, Tim, I too have seen the B0ng museum in Poplar and Superior Wisconsin. I agree, it's done nicely. I am doing three of Richards lightnings, the P-38H is here on this forum and I have one more P-38J to do of the lightning her flew just prior to Marge.

Randall

The work that you do makes this great man’s legacy go on in time. I am sure that more than a few readers have googled Dick Bong ….helping to make his legacy go on!

Good work Randall

Some of my grandmother’s siblings settled in Port Wing WI, so Dick Bong was part of our childhood discussions when it came to WW2 service men.

Most of the kits in my stash have a particular pilot / crew aircraft already assigned to them.

Cheers,

Tim

Randall
Great Work Randall

Cheers,
Tim

Randall
The work that you do makes this great man’s legacy go on in time. I am sure that more than a few readers have googled Dick Bong ….helping to make his legacy go on!
Good work Randall
Some of my grandmother’s siblings settled in Port Wing WI, so Dick Bong was part of our childhood discussions when it came to WW2 service men.
Most of the kits in my stash have a particular pilot / crew aircraft already assigned to them.

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks again Tim !

Regards,

Randall

Hi Randall
I always admire the bare metal finish you get on your projects. Makes me glad my subject choices aren’t bare metal as I struggle and fail getting a realistic finish. I guess you airbrush and that might help. I hand paint and will never airbrush for a variety of reasons. But hey ho I can admire others perfection in that area.
Rod

Hi Rod,

I wish my metal finishes were better but there are good days and bad days. I don't know for sure, but I think the next large group of models I'm building are green. down the road I am doing some Mustang D and K models that will be metal but nothing for the time being.

I do use airbrushes, I have been for many years, I'm still learning how to use them. I don't hand paint hardly anything these days. I do like the fact that airbrushing is fast on complex parts and multiple parts, and you have seen how I binge build!

Currently on the build pile are two P-38H, one P-38G, three A-36 Apache, two P-51B, two P-47D razorbacks and one B-17G. With the airbrush I pick a color like interior green and spray all of them, same with the silver for the landing gear. I do hand paint most of the wheels and I generally do all the wheels at the same time. All of the engines are painted at once also.

Regards,

Randall

Hi Randall
I zoomed in on your pictures. I noticed one thing. You take great care with your aircraft and your figures but in my opinion you let the side down when you don’t tidy up the bases of the figures. Its an easy task with a fine paintbrush and would finish the figures off.
Just a thought.
Rod

You are of course correct; I didn't paint the bases because the ultimate plan is to cut them all off. I might drill a leg and put a piece of wire inside or use a rubber cement or something but in my eyes the bases got to go.

Randall

Hi Rod,

I have a couple of store display cases.

forum_image_62ff8158ac190.png.2e47ba5fa10bab776d41baa8239d7915.png

They were really cheap, I got them as the business was going out of business. I think I spent more getting new glass for the shelves than I did on the cases. I am actually looking for another one because I have a lot of new models.

I also found out that plastic sandwich boxes fit a P-51 model perfectly, so I have a storage and moving option if I choose.

Regards,

Randall

I have many models that were never photographed. As part of my obsessive desire to document everything, I made an excel spreadsheet and I've been linking the photos to the spreadsheet. I do this for a couple of reasons, one being insurance, the second for more or less inventory control so I don't duplicate aircraft in my collection.

Would it be acceptable to show these models here on this thread as I am documenting them? Obviously, they are not my latest completed but if anyone desires to see my collection, they can do it here. Or I could make an entirely new thread.

Randall

Again you impress me with your methods. I have a book with my projects completed. Not for any insurance purposes just to aid my memory! Not what it was these days. Besides I see my collection as unrepeatable as I rarely do straight out of the box schemes. I do something generic to plane type and squadron use. Lots are used kits no longer available irreplaceable. So if they are lost, destroyed then they gone forever. Besides they only mean something to me and are not valuable.

You didn’t say how you stored your works of perfection. I use these plastic containers made by the “really useful” company. Stackable and transparent so contents can be seen.
As for displaying on this site a new thread would be best in my opinion. Your collection from what I have seen deserve to be displayed.
Rod

Thanks Rod,

I'll start a new thread when I get some photo's.

• 5 weeks later...