Thomas Parts request please.

morning all, i wasn't quite sure if i should of posted this on my existing James post or start a new thread so chose a new thread lol. My son has the "original" Hornby Thomas and he says it is an E2 class? I have no knowledge about trains and i have searched for what he is asking but as his speech is limited i think we are confusing each other lol. but he is saying Thomas needs a new connecting rod? i have looked on various sites for an e2 class connecting rod but i am not finding what he needs, would any one that is more knowledgeable than myself be able to help please. many thanks

There has been more than one version of Thomas over the years (which was indeed an adaptation of an E2 loco by Hornby). Is it a one-piece rod or two pieces linked at the centre wheel? The screws that hold the rods to the wheels - do they have slot heads to take a screwdriver or hexagonal heads? On which side of the loco (from the cab looking from above towards the chimney) is the rod required?

[Please, with apologies, also see my late correction regarding James tender wheels.]

@Mandy

I have approved your picture and deleted the duplicate. Please note that your pictures do not appear on the Forum immediately and require Moderator approval.

Incidentally, you are correct to raise a new thread for a new question, especially seeing as this question is for a different Loco from the Thomas range.

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

Thanks Mandy, There is a thread at the top of the General Section with information for new members, which includes the request not to use the blue square with the white arrow to answer posts.

I fear Thomas needs more than just new coupling rods as the threaded crank pin taking the coupling rod screw appears to be missing from the centre wheel and those screws look to have been sheared off in the outer wheels.

Replacement wheelsets are supplied in pack X8873 and the coupling rods and screws come in pack X8878 (if bright metal) or each with a B suffix if blackened.

These could be difficult to source now and may well cost up to £20 so buying a complete locomotive might be a more cost-effective solution.

In addition to the missing connecting rods on one side you have what is known as a quartering problem.

Quartering is the angular position of the wheels on one side relative to those on the other side.

The wheels on one side should be set exactly 90 degrees away from the other side and the wheels on each side should be aligned at the same angle as their neighbours.

To put this in a simpler perspective, move the wheels on one side until the crank pin holes are all at 12 o’clock, then connect the rods which should form a dead straight line. You can see in your picture the front wheel on the left hand side is out of angle with the other two wheels. Move them all into line.

Now turn the loco round and the other side wheels should be at either 3 o’clock or 9 o’clock relative to the first side. Again the rods will make a dead straight line.