Holy Grail Airfix(?) 1960's transparent bodied GT type race car..

Greg-1219988

As a young child of around 7 or 8 maybe, during the early sixties, I fondly remember walking 3 miles ew each Saturday morning to my nearest Airfix stockist ; 'Gardeners Hardware and Paints' Llandaff North, Cardiff, who also stocked the latest models and paints etc. Although I could only afford the smallest scale planes, tanks or sometimes the boxes of soldiers, I remember a larger scale race car model kit with a transparent body in order to see the internal workings, which fascinated me, being in pride of place in the display area. Clearly out of my price range I could only dream. I later moved onto cars starting with a small red E-type then a Bond Film Toyota (?) as I recall. Does anyone remember an Aifix transparent bodied car, or could it have been from a rival brand..?! Although I think Gardeners were loyal Airfix only purveyors! Nothing on ebay for the last couple of years.

Cheers Patrick. Based on the catalogue page, I'd suggest that the tooling is actually MPC and 1/25 scale. I don't recognise the Ford J itself, but the Toyota 2000GT convertible, the Aston Martin DB5, the Monkeemobile and the surf Ford Woodie were all licenced MPC tools. I think the 3 "muscle cars" were as well.

Cheers Patrick. Based on the catalogue page, I'd suggest that the tooling is actually MPC and 1/25 scale. I don't recognise the Ford J itself, but the Toyota 2000GT convertible, the Aston Martin DB5, the Monkeemobile and the surf Ford Woodie were all licenced MPC tools. I think the 3 "muscle cars" were as well.

Yes, I'm sure you're right about that.

That Ford 'J' car looks like it could be an early prototype version of the Ford GT 40. Don't remember ever seeing it, but I do remember making the 'Gang Buster' car (Number 10 on the catalogue page.). Yes it was a re-boxing of an MPC kit, that came with working steering, full engine detail and a Gangster figure with a load of guns. I don't remember what year I made the model, but it was much earlier than 1968 as by them I was into slot car racing. Hope you find a copy, and would love to see it on the forum.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom

Ford J-Type GT

1/25 scale - box states 1/24.

Reissue of MPC kit number 501-200.

Available as 829 from 1967 to 1969.

Not listed in 5th Edition (1968) catalogue.

Also issued by Plasty (Germany) as kit series 1656 number 12 (1960s).