Digital Controllers and Decoders

Big Alan

The Elite will operate any decoders(?) - when you programme a loco, you are programming the decoder in the loco, not the Elite. I have the R8214 Elite (at the latest upgrade) and I use many different types of decoders including Hornby TTS decoders. I have found one or two makes of decoders do not work so well, but I don't think that has anything to do with the Elite.

I have not checked it out, but would assume that the new TT120 range has the decoder socket in the tender? If so, I think that many of the small decoders currently available would fit.

Quote from Hornby "For the technically minded, each of the locomotives are fitted with pick-ups on most, if not all wheels, allowing them to run smoothly, even at slow speeds. Each model allows for digital control and the fitting of Next18 decoders and there is even space for a speaker should sound be required at a later date".

It says on the benefits page that the entire range is DCC ready.

... and as stated earlier ready for N18s decoders.

These decoders are similar in size to the R8249 / TTS decoders but without the harness as the plug is built into the decoder board.

I had 2 questions if anyone has answers... I read that the locos come with Next18 sockets and space for speakers, but does that also include the 08 and the pannier referred to in the Railway modeller this month.. and is it planned that this will be the approach to all locos developed in this scale? Secondly, the pullman coaches are supposed to have lighting... will this work as delivered on DCC or will each coach need a decoder?

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Secondly, the pullman coaches are supposed to have lighting... will this work as delivered on DCC or will each coach need a decoder?

The coaches lighting will definitely work without a decoder. Normally the coaches just picks up the power and lights up. There is a power pick up in the bogie.

You can, however, modify the coaches to carry a decoder and use current conducting couplings to distribute the power between the coaches and thus be able to turn the lighting off at will. You simply remove the power pick up for every coach but the one with the decoder and install the couplings instead. You can also install a capacitor to get rid of light flickering.

Decoders for coaches are called function decoders and a variety of manufacturers makes them. E.g. the ESU LokPilot Fx Micro which has a 8 mm x 7 mm footprint. It will fit in any coach.

The company Krois manufacturers current conducting couplings for TT scale. The TTS/2. It will work with the Hornby rolling stock because they use the standard TT NEM shaft.

Regarding the decoder socket on locomotives: I assume that the Next18 socket will be the standard on Hornby's models. It is a very good socket with lots of possibilities and it is very well supported by decoder manufacturers. Sound decoders are available for the Next18 socket, also from ESU.

I hope that some of those who makes UK sound schemes for OO will consider selling Next18 decoders with the sound schemes in them for TT scale. That would be amazing. If you already have a sound scheme for the LokSound 5 from ESU, it should be simple to just download it onto the Next18 version of the LokSound 5 decoder.