My 1/72 Wishlist for 2023

Susanna Viljanen

Hello fellow modelaholics,

here is my 1/72 wishlist for 2023 for new toolings:

1. Consolidated B-24H Liberator with Ford nose. There is no B-24 kit in any scale with the Ford nose available. Moreover, the old Airfix kit is a dated toy - not for a serious modeller.
  2. Vought F4U Corsair with folding wings. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the only wing fold option, Heller, is nasty to work with.
  3. Junkers Ju 88 A-4. The only still missing major Battle of Britain participant on either side of the conflict. Can we also have conversion parts for a nightfighter?
  4. Lockheed P-38F Lightning. The Airfix P-38J is horribly dated and inaccurate, and the P-38F kit has some serious issues. Moreover, there are no quality kits of the early P-38 models available.
  5. Bell P-39 Airacobra. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the Academy kit is horribly inaccurate.
  6. Republic P-47D Thunderbolt. Preferably with both Razorback and Bubbletop options - just like the old Jo-Han kit!
  7. Grob G-115 Tutor. The trainer of the 2000s.
  8. Pilatus PC-6 Turbo Porter. Another unsung workhorse - both in the military and civilian sectors. There are many outré paint schemes for skydiving jump planes!
  9. Brewster F2A - with nose options for both Finnish Air Force (F2A-1) and Royal Air Force (F2A-2)
  10. Douglas SBD Dauntless. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated. With perforated flaps, please!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1/72 Avro Anson
1/72 Manchester
1/72 Fairey Battle

All of the above newly tooled would be great.

It is utterly unlikely we will ever get 1/72 Manchester. It is an obscure topic, not known outside the UK and it won't sell well. What we could get, however, is a conversion part set for the existing Lancaster kit.

But since 1/48 Anson has just been made, a new tool 1/72 Anson could not be impossible. And yes, the old Airfix Fairey Battle dates to 1967, is horribly dated and horribly inaccurate, so a new Battle kit would be a nice treat. The MPM kit has been out of production for two decades.

Hi Susanna
love the list but the Junkers A4 was post Battle of Britain and would need modifications to make it authentic. I used to make it as in box to represent that period. But it is a mark that is not always available in broader market so would love it rereleased for those later periods.
GOM

Yup, Grumpy - you are right. The A-4 came in service only in 1941. But the differences are not too great - different wingtips and only one dorsal machine gun instead of two. But that would also make it easier to provide a nightfighter version as they usually had only one dorsal machine gun.

So we could have parts for BoB Ju 88 A-1, post-BoB Ju-88 A-4 and a nightfighter :-)

So we could have parts for BoB Ju 88 A-1, post-BoB Ju-88 A-4 and a nightfighter :-)

A certain other 'well known' manufacturer has already gone down this route, they do Ju 88 A-1, A-4 and C-6.

Agreed that a Manchester, whilst very welcome, would be a big surprise for reasons stated - but you never know! Blackbird Models already do a conversion set for the most recent Airfix Lancaster kits, but it's not currently available.

My money is on a new tool Halifax or B-24 for next year's marquee product.

A new tool Halifax would be nice and a Hampden would also be welcome for the British bomber set. A Manchester would fill some gaps.

A new Walrus based on the 48th scale kit and a new Javelin would also be nice as would a new Vampire.

I would like to see the O-1 and O-2 get new molds and would love a Rhodesian Lynx option.

A new Cessna 150 and 172 would also be great.

Personally I am after more airfield equipment in my scale, especially WWII, Cold War and Modern from RAF, USAAF/USAF and other countries. A corrected Tower would also be nice.

The P-38F could definitely use a new tool version as the old kit is long in the tooth and the RS kit is a PITA.

An earlier version of the Beaufighter with the flat stabs is on my list and I bought a conversion set to make one but would like to do an early nightfighter and a desert bird.

Op Granby Buccaneer - while I think I can make it with the S.2B kit I still would buy another boxing.

A Vulcan B.Mk 1 and/or B.Mk 1a would save me trying to convert one.

A Lanc with a Tall Boy and Grand Slam.

• 2 weeks later...