1/35th Cromwell kits, errors being corrected

John-341508

As you have no doubt realised, there was a slight problem with the wheels on the Cromwell kits in 1/35th, they were moulded with six wheel bolts instead of the correct eight.

I understand that the Airfix kits being sold in the Far East have the correct number of wheel bolts, as shown below.

EDCECD65-EFC1-43DC-B60C-D20D89B8623A.jpeg (69.93KiB)

Will these corrected wheels be available in the UK? It would be good PR for Airfix if they were made available FOC to those who have the kits with the incorrect wheels.

Thanks in advance

jch

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Interesting! I have one of these sitting in my stash. Was the Cromwell ever issued with six bolts or is this a major oversight by the CAD man? This has really caught my imagination and I feel the need to take a trip over to Bovington to count wheel nuts. I can just hear the tannoy now … “Security to the Vehicle Conservation Centre”!

If I don’t get to build mine before the new wheels are issued, I’d certainly be interested in a correct set. Though one advantage of deteriorating eyesight is that such inaccuracies, whether introduced by manufacture or scale modeller (me), are becoming less of a concern. I will follow with interest 😊

4 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

Interesting! I have one of these sitting in my stash. Was the Cromwell ever issued with six bolts or is this a major oversight by the CAD man? This has really caught my imagination and I feel the need to take a trip over to Bovington to count wheel nuts. I can just hear the tannoy now … “Security to the Vehicle Conservation Centre”!

If I don’t get to build mine before the new wheels are issued, I’d certainly be interested in a correct set. Though one advantage of deteriorating eyesight is that such inaccuracies, whether introduced by manufacture or scale modeller (me), are becoming less of a concern. I will follow with interest 😊

I wondered if there might have been a six bolt wheel, but a search online came up with no evidence either documentary or pictorial. The Crusader had similar running gear and also has eight bolt wheels. As a daily CAD user I can easily imagine how such an error might occur, the surprising thing is that no one noticed pre-production.

Sovereign 2000 do a replacement wheel set with the correct number of bolts.

• Like 1