Plea for a HP Hampden

Dominic Thomas

Having read a lot of wish lists on this forum, I’ve seen a large number of comments requesting Airfix produce an updated Hampden of similar design quality to the latest Wellingtons and Whitleys.

To my mind, it would be good to set out the case for this as a single request, rather than give a long wishlist of aircraft.

There are many points which would support the release of a new tool Hampden

• It would complete the trio of early WWII RAF heavy bombers
  • it was in operational service from the late 1930’s to the middle of the war, hence there are a large variation in markings that could support numerous releases of the model
  • even over this length of service, the equipment fit changed little
  • with a simple ‘re-engine-ing’, a Hereford could be released.

So, all things considered, Airfix by releasing a new tool Hampden would have the basis for multiple releases so maximising the return on new tool costs.

There, said it….!

Agreed Dominic.

This is the only item that I have put on any wishlist for 2023 and it has been a very popular item on wishlists from previous years. It appears that AIRFIX isn't listening but we will see what 2023 brings.

From a Canadian perspective the Hampden was built in Canada (160 units during 1940-1942) and flew with three RCAF squadrons out of the UK and with a BCATP Torpedo Bomber OTU out of Patricia Bay, British Columbia.

Come on AIRFIX....just a new Hampden is all we ask!!!

Tim

Since I’m building my RAF collection I certainly want to add a Hamden to the mix.

Since we are talking RAF light medium bombers I’d like a nice Fairey Battle to go with my Blenheim. I have at least one Wellesley one of the Battles contemporary.

As long as I built the nice Airfix Beaufort it would be nice to have a Boston to go with it.

Randall

Hi Dominic

I scrolled back though the wish lists from the past year to see how many of us have put the 1/72 Hampden on our wishlists and here are the unofficial and non-audited results for some of the aircraft kits:

1/72 Hampden - 15 votes

1/72 Manchester - 9 votes

1/72 Lincoln - 5 votes

1/72 Battle - 3 votes

1/48 Hampden - 2 votes

Others that received more than a few votes were:

Vintage 1/72 Hampden

New 1/72 B-24

New 1/72 Boston / Havoc

New 1/72 Hudson

Tim,

My mistake. Of course the Canadian squadrons would add significantly to any new release.

I should have mentioned the aircraft sent to Russia, but that might have caused a problem these days.

Great piece of data interrogation by the way. While my post was aimed at nudging Airfix into the potential of a new mould Hampden [should they read it], I would also vote for a new Manchester and a new Battle.

Thanks for reply, and best wishes for the new year.

Hi Dominic…you wrote…

Tim,

My mistake. Of course the Canadian squadrons would add significantly to any new release.

No mistake there, the aircraft that the RCAF squadrons (400 through 443) flew in the UK, Europe, Africa and Burma were supplied by the RAF and the squadrons operated as part of the RAF as agreed to in the BCATP negotiations. So you are quite correct…they were all RAF aircraft, even the 160 units built in Canada were for a contract with the British not Canadian government.

And there were only three Canadian squadrons and an OTU that flew the aircraft! A little more research shows at least one Canadian built Hampden were operated by each of 408 Squadron and 420 bomber squadrons and 415 coastal torpedo squadron … so there are three interesting possibilities.

The Aussie’s and the Kiwi’s flew them out of the UK as well.

As far as the Manchester goes, it might have a better chance at becoming a new Airfix kit than the Hampden as there is currently no kit for it while Valom has the Hampden I & II and Hereford. The Valom kits seem a bit pricier than Airfix…maybe 50% more…I don’t know what the quality is like.

A Manchester would be ok, 408 had a conversion flight set up and at least one aircraft L7401 EQ-N flew on the 1000 plane Cologne raid in may 42 and a raid on Essen before it was decided to re-equip the squadron with the Halifax. So I would buy a Manchester…

Tim

Right you are Chris. There is a colour profile of a 32 OTU Hampden AJ990. HA-O in Millberry’s “Sixty Years” and a picture of the same aircraft dropping a practice torpedo in the Pacific near Pat Bay. It appears to have the sand and spinach colours top side and a light underside. Also a picture two 32 OTU Hampdens at Lethbridge AB with night undersides. Maybe Canadian production heading out to Pat Bay. Also a picture of two Hampdens (maybe from the same pair as above) again with night undersides in Millberry’s “The RCAF at War 1935-1945”

Cheers,

Tim

A new Hampden would be nice.

The only alternative is the Valom Hampden, which is pretty good but not for the faint hearted.

forum_image_63bfc80d46210.thumb.png.b05338dbcd2b5fad7964eeaf3f09cc78.png

Of course Rod Learoyd's EA-M/P4403 should make a return (first VC for Bomber Command), but the aforementioned Vaenga-based Balalaikas, Canadian, and Coastal command schemes are just as interesting.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put this post up for several reasons.

• obviously a new 1/72 tool fills a gap in Airfix’s WWII bombers to the latest standard.
  • a new tool has a large number of markings options associated with little change in aircraft configuration.
  • there’s not a lot of competition in the model market.
  • there seems to be a lot of interest in such a kit.
  • there is a real one in Cosford I believe which Airfix can use as a ready reference.

Given all the above, I think there is a very strong business case to produce a new tooled model.

Lets hope Airfix do too.

And as an after-thought (and to prove that Airfix does actually read these wish-list posts) could someone from Airfix post a reply saying why Airfix would not produce a new tool Hampden?

I wouldn't hold my breath.

• 6 months later...
The 2024 new release list does indeed include a Hampden - as a Vintage Classic !
Oh dear.
Careful what you wish for I suppose.

I’d like to see someone do a recon of the classic kit.for us. Wondering if there are new parts .

Randall

Good point Randall.

In fact, I was thinking that I needed to see if any kit review confirmed or not a complete rerelease.

I really don’t need to add to my half dozen in the stash without a significant improvement in design and moulding.

Of course, this comment is confined to the 2024 release of the Hampden and not the 2024 list as a whole.