High Fell, BR (NER) in TT 120

Rallymatt

Today was introducing some larger vegetation, bushes and some heathers. I painted a pile of tree armatures ready to make up into trees. When you actually look at a tree, the trunk is rarely brown, usually grey with green moss in it. These trees are much bigger, up to a scale 50’ which is pretty common for mature trees in UK. Plan is to swap some of existing trees about and have a mix of heights, just like the woods outside my window 😁

forum_image_6590a61813777.thumb.png.46500934d94f20116599e86767da4f42.png

forum_image_6590a623be1fe.thumb.png.86135b7d6929a57c148a21cea2dd8b76.png

Had a Treemendous day 🤣 Few pics to show process I have got to make quick easy trees. You can spend over £100 on one tree, and it will be the best model tree you have ever seen… pre made trees are often not very realistic and still pricey, particularly when you realise how many are needed. There are over 120 on HighFell and that’s before the latest scenic board was done! This is using Woodland Scenics bits, still not cheap but a decent compromise.

’Hold my Beer Greta, let’s make trees and save the World!’

After the armatures have been painted and dried, twist them out and open the branches to try to get a reasonable shape. I’m trying some poly fibre to act as the foliage base, I had some left and didn’t like it for its intended purpose, works well here though. Tease it apart, small amount goes a long way and it’s only a support. Spray with adhesive, hair spray works but this is scenic cement because I have it. I sprinkle some belended turf from below, than tip upright and use clump foliage. A small ‘bullet’ or coffee grinder grinds it finer for tree foliage. This is a mix of 3 colours and excess bits of the turf. Technique is more ‘squidge’ into place, it doesn’t sprinkle well. Bits will fall off but just use on next tree. I give the top a gentle spray of more adhesive and that when dry should be quite robust. You can always go back and add more once dry if there are a few bald spots. You can also just use blended turf of flock and that gives a finer leaf type look. ‘Leaves’ I find are just too big for TT.

forum_image_6590a81e5dd08.thumb.png.dfca3b09cfb2d8ee7970c41c4cfb928c.png

forum_image_658f0927d48d5.thumb.png.fee59a160b4f84cfb25b8333097aa646.png

forum_image_6590a826a1f1c.thumb.png.1c36cc00dfb7af3d9e129cc781319d89.png

forum_image_658f093b4db9d.thumb.png.ff5ea5ead50914b0cc5646fac9f68925.png

forum_image_658f09448ff48.thumb.png.0f71939efa688b8b95beaa787fc0ab90.png

forum_image_6590a83155f38.thumb.png.186a2a1d930b1433c25b972a1096f42d.png

Ahhh thanks for spotting it Dodge 😁 The High Fell ‘Merch’ range is being put out to tender as we speak. Hmmm next project…. Well some more scenery is still being planned but haven’t quite decided how it’s going to develop, it’s not going to be just a repeat of the latest wooded area. Something maybe in the skies…. Who knows what might appear over the horizon 😉

Ahhh thanks for spotting it Dodge 😁 The High Fell ‘Merch’ range is being put out to tender as we speak. Hmmm next project…. Well some more scenery is still being planned but haven’t quite decided how it’s going to develop, it’s not going to be just a repeat of the latest wooded area. Something maybe in the skies…. Who knows what might appear over the horizon 😉

Will you be doing FB size T Shirts?

Its looking good so far, i need to get my backside into gear and get more done on mine.. Next week is looking clear..

Thanks Ian, the lights are all from company Evemodel, they sell via Amazon and other channels and are Chinese. All the lights are N but N can be a bit of an odd ball scale. Checking measurements of particular items, you can find things that come out much closer to TT, 1:120. The lights are well made, a coat of a suitable paint really helps the look.

Ha ha thanks GHU. Getting height in model railways is often recommended, this works 😁

Yes TT, Revell 1:144 from Hobby Craft last year, £10 each, which I think is a bargain for such a good kit. Technically a bit small but with the forced perspective it works better than I hoped.

I think something that gets lost in the hobby these days is that there is always loads to do on a layout while waiting for specific items to come out.

David, there is a very fine fishing line tensioned between the back scene boards at each end. I stripped the wire out of food bag twist tie, drilled a matching hole in fuselage at the balance point fixed with a dab of super glue. A hook bent into the end of the wire and hang it from the fishing line. All moveable but I was thinking today while out in the freezing cold on a bike ride, I might explore a more invisible ‘hook’. It could be made flying but only one way 😁

Bit of both Rob, thought you would like this, about your era?

Good video.

First time? I thought you were a seasoned modeller with the speed you go and the ease in which you do it.

I too am really enjoying the scenery all of which is new but being done at a much slower pace.

Well done you must be proud of what you have done. It looks brilliant!

Ha ha, cheers Chris, yes honestly I have never done scenery before! As I said in video, as a kid read all the magazines and was desperate to have a proper layout. I did do a few tweaks to models but nothing was ever allowed to finished. Few false starts with OO layouts as an adult but never got as far as scenery. The trick is research! I started paying attention to how things really look not ‘what we think’ they look like. The other secret is having a go 😁

40 odd years of bottled up imagination does something 🤣