High Fell, BR (NER) in TT 120

Rallymatt

Thanks TGG, it’s Woodlands Scenics medium, I have tried fine a few times and just not got away with it. The colours are blended and I will do stretches in a completely different colour to simulate repaired sections. Ballast varies so much from location to time period. Modern ballast is completely different on mainlines to steam era. When it was done manually there were areas where sleepers would be more exposed. Modern automatic ballasting and tampers have much deeper ballast layer (also for high speed running) and a very uniform look. I have been experimenting with using weathering powders to weather ballast and track area, I’m liking the look and plan doing more on main circuit.

hi rallymatt great photos now i can see the extent of your layout .

and your track plan helps , i like the photo that show all of the layout and the window at the far end.

did you say that you are going fill the open area with some scenery around the viaduct it would look nice with rivers and little valley some can be deep and some small hills should be fun and lastly how big is the room grinning

All Peco track and Peco Twistloc point motors. Initially because it was available and the point motor issue was a bit fuzzy, it was stated only surface mounted, which put me off. The ability to power the frogs on Peco has been great with the 08 shunter.

Overall room size is 3.2 x 2.2m, so not huge.

The main board is 3.2 x 1.25m and the docks are on a 2.5 x .25m board with the narrow link between.

The plan is to do some infill boards around the viaduct and possibly to the ends but also be removable for access. As to how they look, you will have to wait and see 😁 That’s probably a winter project though. Still a lot to do on quayside and bits around.

Thanks TGG, it’s Woodlands Scenics medium, I have tried fine a few times and just not got away with it. The colours are blended and I will do stretches in a completely different colour to simulate repaired sections. Ballast varies so much from location to time period. Modern ballast is completely different on mainlines to steam era. When it was done manually there were areas where sleepers would be more exposed. Modern automatic ballasting and tampers have much deeper ballast layer (also for high speed running) and a very uniform look. I have been experimenting with using weathering powders to weather ballast and track area, I’m liking the look and plan doing more on main circuit.

Just haven't got my head round weathering powders yet. Do you apply them as a powder then leave it or do you have to varnish it?

Ta!

Depends Steve, (doesn’t everything 🤣)

On wagons etc I use some black wash first on frames etc and then dab in some power while it’s still damp. As it flashes off it will hold and set the powder. I don’t handle stock if I can help it, so applying dry and leaving is fine. Some people like to set it with some matt lacquer. On track and buildings again, I use it dry, excess removed with a small vacuum cleaner. It’s quite easy to control and you can wipe a lot away dry if needed. Paint can be quite easy to over do. Basically it’s make up for your railway 😁

• 2 weeks later...

The Future, is here now! High Rise living lifts you above the past. A choice of two apartment blocks, ‘Ant’ or ‘Dec’ with stunning views across St James’ Quay. Handy access to the nearby chemical works, Oil transfer station, Iron Ore loading facility and passenger terminal to somewhere much nicer. A railway enthusiasts delight with trains running day and night right past your balcony. Nearby wasteland provides endless opportunities to… Curtains in modern colours included. Apply at council offices.forum_image_64b6ee1ada2c4.thumb.png.3b09cc4fa067bb4035b4b109e32c67c5.png

Few more details added to the industrial area of the approach to St James’ Quay. The extra tanks are a plastic container, adapted with balsa wood and scrap plastic. A steel tube created from the centre of a credit card machine receipt reel, off cuts of other kits make great scrap. I would also like to introduce you to Gresley the cat, usually found intently watching rail operations from the steps of High Fell signal box, unless he is eating or asleepforum_image_64b826db44580.thumb.png.d4eee63da7b01f0a2ee879433acbe2a4.pngforum_image_64b826e3ed92a.thumb.png.019bf0fb56428465b60ea7e3c06a2338.pngforum_image_64b826ec60461.thumb.png.c49c9a3fa6d96c4937917d2a57b88072.pngforum_image_64b826f14a7be.thumb.png.419cae90b9a2776d3b59dc134f0751df.pngforum_image_64b826f5efeac.thumb.png.711391695f510fcbeec259d84ebc1088.pngforum_image_64b82700b6764.thumb.png.a0e009ed4a84d9d1e51302fd4c8a1094.png

• 1 month later...

I used breakfast bar legs that I found on Amazon, they came in packs of 4. I wanted to clear a small upright freezer and potentially other things like bikes etc. Regular table legs from places like IKEA didn’t have the height I needed. The feet are adjustable so getting the layout level is pretty straightforward. They are arranged in an unusual pattern along front so that I could manoeuvre a tool cabinet under without taking a leg out! The BB legs also make for a nice height on the layout

Well after an astonishing 6 months, my very (to me) expensive Roco BR108 that failed after 2 weeks, is finally back! Big thanks to Gaugemaster who helped where they could but Roco’s customer service is appalling. It’s a great loco and hopefully it will not fail again. It’s now been transferred to St James Quay (it is a heavy shunter after all) and the hard used 08 has been sent up to High Fell. forum_image_64e65438880d7.thumb.png.d1a0d5663abe0c86d4c150e0a4c8dc0f.png

hi 'rallymatt i am glad you had it back did they send it to china for repair lol

is roco a swiss company or they austrian

piko does the same loco i think it's a br 110 in red or orange it might be a class br 106 and tillig does a class 112 in red it looks very nice its got a next 18 socket . they look big and powerful in model form just like the real thing in photos

best of luck with it hope it runs fine in the future yum