washing parts

Hi im Ash from north wales. I'm disabled and use a wheelchair. I like building models but i only have the use of my left hand. I was told that for washing parts its easier to wash after the model is built with warm soapy water and a brush, i had a go and it is easier to wash after its built as im cleaning the exterior. For aircraft for example do i wash the parts differently as the instructions tell me to construct the cockpit first. I'll need to paint the cockpit walls, how do i wash those, while they are attached to the sprue or how? Then when the aircraft is built i can wash the exterior with warm soapy water. It would be better if i wash the sprues in the sink but it's harder for me to do it that way. Also how do i wash the instument panels and seat and undercarriage gears, on the sprue??

I’ve lost too many parts washing stuff on the sprue. I usually wash them after I do some sub-assembly. I prefer washing the entire model right before I paint it.

some of the parts like cockpit sidewalls I can get with some alcohol and a cotton bud before it gets painted, faster drying time too !

Randall

Whilst I wouldn't discourage people from washing parts at some stage, I wonder how relevant it is nowadays? I can remember back in the day when sometimes you opened up a kit the plastic might be visibly coated in oily release agent and washing with something soapy would be required before painting. As I understand it, current practice during manufacture is that a silicon type release agent is most likely to be used. I don't know how this might impact on paint adhesion and input from people involved in manufacturing would be useful. Certainly, after handling during construction a wipe with alcohol is probably advised to remove finger grease.

Hi,

Just back to making models and finishing my first one since 1989. Had never heard of washing parts before but saw a video where an experienced modeller just let the frames sit in warm soapy water. He didn't scrub anything, let the soapy water do the work. This seems more practical. Like I said, I've never washed parts but intend to do it with my next one.

Hi Ash.

People say always wash the plastic. Others say it's not necessary these days. Generally you can get away with it these days. However I still see the occasional greasy kit out the box - so I just keep doing it. It takes no time at all.

I put the sprues in the sink with some warm soapy water, with the plug in! Gently agitate them briefly. Let them soak for a few minutes. Rinse. Then gently pat dry with a tea towel. And let them air dry on the tea towel overnight. After construction you can just wipe over the airframe with an alcohol based wipe or cloth.

I put the sprues in the sink with some warm soapy water, with the plug in! Gently agitate them briefly. Let them soak for a few minutes. Rinse. Then gently pat dry with a tea towel. And let them air dry on the tea towel overnight.

Same way except I use kitchen towel.

I always wash mine at some point. You notice a dirty model the most when you pull masking tape off and the paint pulls off too. An oiley fingerprint will not let paint adhere. Single color models that need no masking you probably won’t notice any benefit.

I must say that Airfix models are among the dirtiest, oiliest, models and really should be cleaned.

Randall

I find if i paint onto the plastic without washing the sprues, the paint doesnt stick, theres surface tension but once i wash the plastic the acrylic paint sticks on no problem. I was thinking even though it's easier to wash a model one its built, how do i wash the interior parts that need painting first, do i wash all the parts while they're attached to the sprue by laying the sprues on a table, have a warm cup of soapy water and wash the sprues on the table? Or shall i build the cockpit say and then wash and paint or wash first then paint? im confused im not sure how to wash parts. I wish i didn't have to wash them.

Ash

I just put some washing up liquid in a bowl with hot water and gently rub them with my fingers so i can tell how much pressure im putting on the parts, a lot of the small parts i rub gently but mainly they just get a dip in the bowl as i rub the bigger parts then rinse off under the hot water tap still over the bowl and dab with tea towel and let them air dry a day or so,

i always look at the sprue once rinsed off to see if any parts have come off, if they have they will still be in the bowl

paul