Liliput 104 70 230 F spares

Rana Temporia

Not sure if Liliput are now part of the Hornby family? I have an old Liliput 104 70 SNCF 230 F which runs superbly but part of the plastic piston on one side has broken. Does anyone know if spares are available? I suspect not due to its age but if they are it would be great. I have done a search but the only option I think I have is a donor loco.

Bachmann in the UK seem to be increasinglly uninterested in the Liliput range leaving it to their German operation in Neudorf. I would think that as this loco is now pretty ancient you would have no luck - Bachmann never actually made this loco it was inherited from the Austrian company. I do have a spares sheet for the loco as I have two of these one DB one SNCF

but I think the valve gear is listed as a complete assembly. Suggest you

trawl ebay for a scrapper.

Thanks Bill, pretty much what I found when I looked on their website, it directed me to their German site and someone else had asked the same question with the same result. I had a look at the valve gear and it does look like a complete assembly. There do seem to be a few about with stripped cogs or a Mazak rot type problem so I may be lucky and get one for parts.

Hi Rana, I have had a look this am at my Liliput spares sheets and it seems

from the illustrations on same that the 232TC Baltic Tank valve gear is different than that on the 230F. FYI the 230F valve gear is either part 402.30 or 404.31 - as I said it is a complete assembly. If the break is in the cylinder block have you tried filling with Milliput and repainting. The likelihood of parts for this ancient loco is not good I am afraid, I hope I have been of some help.

Thanks Bill, very helpful. It’s actually the part of the piston that the combination lever (I think that’s what it’s called) connects to. I think the plastic has got brittle with age and it snapped off. It’s not at the top of my ‘to do’ list, I was just going through a box looking for stuff to get rid of and I’d put it in there waiting for a fix. It just seemed a shame for such a nice looking loco to live in a box. I will have another look at it when I get time and see if there is any way I can fabricate something using the other side as a template while I continue to look for a scrapper.

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to pick the German version up at the Bolton swapmeet yesterday so hopefully will be able to fix it. This one is a much older model and the broken plastic part of the valve gear on my French one is metal on this, so hopefully will last a lot longer.

It seems a shame to break up the model as it actually runs quite well despite having badly pitted wheels. The detail is a lot more basic than the later model!

forum_image_63ea124fe9558.thumb.png.54e80816da7e8070921464adfd256c6f.png

The plastic bottom of the piston has broken away and disintegrated as had part of the motion bracket. It looks like it has been dropped at some point. When I dismantled the tender the coupling to the loco has also been broken at some point. The German loco valve gear is now fitted and working fine but I still need to fix the tender coupling properly. If you look at the photo you can see where the bottom of the piston has broken. You can see the old pin from where the plastic disintegrated.

All the black plastic on this loco seems quite brittle. When I was repairing the tender I had to cut more of the area around the break away and replace with black plasticard. The older German loco has a lot more metal parts.

forum_image_63ea970ed8e97.thumb.png.b0b45fd6e1e42c609180a2937fdf0186.png

Your 230F now looks pretty good. A great shame that these locos do seem to suffer from zinkpest on the loco chassis casting and as you say some of the plastic does now appear a little brittle. I well remember discussing this with Ernst Rozsa of Liliput UK at Bala some years ago. Fortunately my two 4-6-0's SNCF and DB appear OK ( did get a new chassis block for the SNCF some while ago from Austria ) and my 232TC also seems to be fine.

Bill

there were a couple on eBay a week or so ago with zinc rot. Fortunately both of these locos are fine. I have been looking if it’d be possible to construct a new piston for the DB loco but then I’d want to keep it. confused I may have a look at what other parts I might need and sell the rest off as spares. I think it’s the same motor that British Trix used so will probably check it against one of my locos and add it to my motor box.

After I had re-assembled the French one I noticed some small plastic rings on the tray I’d been using. Have you any idea where they came from? I have also noticed some light bleed around the pistons from the front lights but everything looks to have been assembled right, is this normal?

I also need to paint out the red with black on the valve gear for the French loco. The metal valve gear really is far superior to the plastic and this loco runs superbly. Happy days!

• 4 weeks later...