Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

I always reference by door size, it’s a pretty reliable method and if that ‘looks right’ then great. I really do like Metcalfe building kits, very relaxing and satisfying to make. Holly Bush is getting quite built up…. 😁

• Like 3

Coming along nicely Dave. I like how you went about this - get it up with what little was available at the time - and then go back and add realism and detail. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GMD said:

Coming along nicely Dave. I like how you went about this - get it up with what little was available at the time - and then go back and add realism and detail. 

Also so I could develop the required skills as I go. I'd not done anything like this in years, so start off with very simple kits, basic electronics and so on, and go back and upgrade things as I get the hang of them. The Metcalfe kits are great, and pretty straightforward to understand how it all goes together, but having had a go at a few free downloaded and simple basic buildings has given me a bit of a head start on what I'm doing now I'm building more detailed kits. 🙂 

• Like 2

Just now, Too Tall said:

In that case, I have been in some out of scale real houses, where a bounced my 6'2 noggin on the top of doorframes 🤪

I feel your pain, quite literally! I'm a few inches taller than that. The worst I've encountered was my old University buildings at Stirling, where almost every door was just shorter than me and I spent most of my time there with a headache even if I'd not been in the union the night before! 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I always reference by door size, it’s a pretty reliable method and if that ‘looks right’ then great. I really do like Metcalfe building kits, very relaxing and satisfying to make. Holly Bush is getting quite built up…. 😁

I am trying to get myself psyched up to build eight metcalfe retaining walls, I find it hard especially as I have so much other non railway stuff to do. 

Edited by Chris98

8 minutes ago, Chris98 said:

I am trying to get myself psyched up to build eight metcalfe retaining walls, I find it hard especially as I have so much other non railway stuff to do. 

Try not to do it all in one hit, take a few minutes to do a couple of bits and come back to it. A lot of modelling is waiting for bits to dry. I find putting sections on a tray that can be moved without having to put everything away all the time helps 

• Like 2

My weathering powder goe's everywhere, especially the carpet. I tried felt pen but they soak into the paper. Next plan is to try water colours see if thats any good.

Edited by Chris98

I use slightly let down acrylic paint. I mix up something to get close to the shade, on darker side rather than lighter. And run through all the edges before assembling in most cases. Then will use a dry dusting of weathering powder. Make up brushes work well for weathering powders and only use tiny amounts. A little goes a long way 

• Like 1

Mine weren't that actual brand, I cant find them anymore, but I had "Nora" branding on the pen, no issues with bleeding for me.

Edit: aha, just found the ones I got: Pontedinvoy Permanent Marker Pens - Colouring Pens Dual Tips Pens For Adults,Felt Tip Pens For Children,Art Pens ,Manga Markers For Kids For Artist、Students Sketching 、Graffiti 、Drawing (36 colours) : Amazon.co.uk: Stationery & Office Supplies

No idea why it says "Nora" on the actual pen and Pontedinvoy on the case ☺️

Edited by Too Tall

This is what the pens did, although a close up makes it look worse it is still noticeable. Finished another section and used very watered down brown acrylic.....much better result.

Screenshot_20240406_204841_Gallery.thumb.jpg.534bb1d5ebcae4297b2b2b21a7aea5b5.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris98 said:

Sorry for hijacking your post Dave. 

No worries, it's all relevant to the discussion on Metcalfe kits here at the moment. I've found pens hit and miss. I only tend to use them for things like roof edges and undersides where I just want to get them dark enough to blend in with a fairly black printed surface.

One more post looking at how Metcalfe N doors and TT:120 figures line up. The kits I've done so far are all industrial buildings, which tend to have larger doorways. I found the small factory kit has a small door about the size you'd find on houses. I thought I'd compare to real life. I always thought I was a scale too big for reality... 😂 Anyway, I'm quite happy that the Metcalfe kits will work well for scale now.large.Screenshot2024-04-07at13_40_15.png.0b0db409bfdf2be0b1ae7c0955913743.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The lintel on that kit😲 😬🫢🫣🤦‍♂️

Your "typical" door opening at 1:120 should be about 17.5mm ish or 28 brick courses for those counting. (Not about to get in to a discussion regarding metric and imperial doors or bricks or the vertical gauging of mortar.)

Edited by StuLarge
Extra emoji
  • Thanks 1

Ha, yeah now that you've pointed the lintel out it's all I can see on it 😂 It's not a perfect match up with the N kit to TT of course, but it's near enough for me to be happy with it. It's certainly closer than some of my first home made efforts

• Haha 1

I guess when certain modellers have finished counting all the rivets they can move onto bricks 🤣 

I will not allow my OCD to be drawn into this… model railway is fun, happy place happy place 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2