Millwood begins (my layout).

Too Tall

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress: rocks and tunnel portals painted (not yet fixed in position), mud put down !

Obviously there will be strategically placed scatter and lichen to hide the joints and add some life (tunnel section has a lift off top to enable maintenance access to the track).

Tunnel portals are just placed for now, they will fit flush once glued in place

And ignore the white lines on the road area, just sketching in the route, it will be painted/textured in later.

attachment.php?thumbnail=30421   

attachment.php?thumbnail=30422   

attachment.php?thumbnail=30423  

• 4 weeks later...

The lift off section is 99% done, Far from perfect but as my first attempt at this level of scenery and various methods, I am pleased with the outcome.

An overall view of the lift-off section:

attachment.php?thumbnail=30666   

And a couple closer up:

attachment.php?thumbnail=30665   

attachment.php?thumbnail=30664   

The Farmhouse and Church are N scale plastic kits, the Vicarage is a 3D print I modified from a downloaded file, and the people, animals and vehicles are N scale .. my idea was to give a bit of forced perspective.

Looks like I will need to redo the backscenes as they aren't sticking too well, I think the boards needed another coat of sealer/clear.

Thanks people blush

Chris98, If I can do it, anyone can. As Rallymatt says, watch a few tutorials from the experts and go for it. I didn't test anything, it was my first go with static grass, and scatter, previously my scenic abilities consisted of sticking down grass mat to a board on my slot car track, as that is more function over realism.

I did once do some rocks faces with coaching from a friend who was good at it a few years back, but mostly its all new to me too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey TT that looks fab. I've just recieved my MDF board today for my baseboard and will start sealing it tomoz.

I'm looking at MegaPoints as they are only down the road from me but their stuff looks pretty good. I don't think you're at the points stage yet. I probably will get the Dapol N gauge semaphore signals as they seem to be a good fit scale wise.

It's great to see all of these new layouts take off...or is that the wrong metaphore? lol

Steve

I'm looking at MegaPoints as they are only down the road from me but their stuff looks pretty good. I don't think you're at the points stage yet. I probably will get the Dapol N gauge semaphore signals as they seem to be a good fit scale wise.

Past the points stage, you maybe just replied after reading page 1 ? the way this forum works does tend to do that !

Yes, I went the Megapoints route, had some rare issues but Dave sorted it all out promptly for me, so I would recommend them.

I have some 3d printed signals scaled down from 00 that eventually will make their way on the layout, I don't intend to power them though.

Anyone reading, I would just add that it’s best to plan points and point operation at the earliest stage of the design stage. TT obviously has 😁. Can’t stress enough the need to test test and test some more before ballast and close/detailed scenery goes in.

Hornby TT:120 was always about layouts and developing scenes, so great to see so many now starting to come together or take off 🤣

All Base (scenery) are belong to us ... or I have now got the basics down. smile

Don't worry the gaps in the middle section will be covered with the buildings.

So pleased I have hit this milestone, who knows the next update pictures could well have some actual engines and rolling stock in it stuck_out_tongue

forum_image_64b9788b6612f.thumb.png.87659fcbd24e73c82d05540c0a66af8f.png

Thanks Guys.

Don't worry RM, i had been checking the track periodically with the little Arnold 0-4-0, but now all the real messy stuff is done I can play in between installing buildings and details yum

I just need to chip some locos and learn how to use the Elite controller now nerd_face

Sorry, not yet got the rolling stock in place, but managed a bit more today.

I replaced the falling off backscenes after giving the MDF back boards a good 4 coats of paint/varnish.

Unfortunately, I made an error and ordered the standard stuff and it wasn't self adhesive, so we will see how it holds up or if I need to do it again  A lot more to do, but its at least resembling a model railway now. blush

attachment.php?thumbnail=31109   

attachment.php?thumbnail=31110   

attachment.php?thumbnail=31111   

attachment.php?thumbnail=31112