Alpha Mimic Buiding lights from DCC Concepts.

I am thinking of purchasing these DCC operated lights. I’ve watched the “you tube presentation by Jenny Kirk”, and I like the look of these lights. My question is, can I use these with my elink controller and railmaster software?.

I have no intention of changing my controller as the elink/railmaster combo suits my need perfectly plus I don’t need a walk about handset as my layout is not big enough to warrant that.

Anyway, has anybody already got this system up and running with their Hornby Controller.

Thank you, and I am looking forward to your reply’s.

From reading/watching the DCC Concepts material, it appears the Miimic control board is an accessory decoder with a range of port addresses to turn your lights on and off.

However, to confirm, I would ask the question to HRMS via the internal email feature in RM to ensure RM supports this particular product.

For you, it’s not relevant whether it can work with other Hornby controllers, only if it works with RM.

I would have replied earlier if a link to Kirk's YT Video had been posted. Only just found it. Having watched the YT and read the online DCC Concepts manual I see no reason why this lighting product can not be operated by RM.

But I have to question the need for switching on and off via DCC particularly when the DCC Concepts product is extremely expensive at £75 for the starter kit. When there are other lighting products that simplify layout LED lighting. For example, 'Just Plug Lighting System by Woodland Scenics'. If it is just simplifying the installation of LEDs that is driving this question then other products are available that can do that.

But I digress. The Kirk video clearly shows that the DCC Concepts Mimic Controller does not need a DCC Controller to set the DCC Address as they are set by pressing buttons on the product. So that aspect of RM is not needed. The video also shows that the handheld DCC controller used in the demonstation, just used a methodology that treated the product as an Accessory with two DCC states. This is no different to say an Accessory Decoder used to operate points that have two states - left & right OR a Semaphore signal - clear & danger OR a dual aspect lamp signal - red & green etc. This Mimic board is just another DCC Accessory controller with two DCC states controlled by a DCC Address. The same controller is used by DCC Concepts for their red & green lamp ground signals so the use of 'on & off' terms instead of 'red & green' terms is nothing special.

Historically there are many posts on this forum to show RM has been used successfully to operate many different DCC Concepts products and have been set up in RM as a 'two DCC state' accessory configured with the Hornby R8247 selected in the drop down box as the decoder.

The only issue to consider is what icon in the RM track planner can be used to operate the lighting since a basic light icon is not included. It will probaly have to be either a signal icon or the point operating red / green buttons if these can be placed on the screen without a point being present. Another possibility (RM Pro only) would be to add two customisable 'run a program' icons and create two short programs to switch the lighting, one program for on and the second for off.

The Mimic controller is assigned a further 11 consecutive DCC Addresses from the initial address that is configured (total of 12). One address for each of the 12 channels. So to switch on all 12 channels together, you would have to enter 12 addresses from the controller. This is one reason why my personal view is that using DCC for switching lighting on and off is rather pointless. However that said, this is where the power of RMs 'Program' feature comes into its own. Programs could be created to switch specific set combinations of lighting channels by clicking a RM screen program icon (RM Pro).

There is a post somewhere on this forum, where forum member 'St1ngr4y' described how to create a custom icon that could be added to RM Pro to run a program.

In conclusion. I strongly believe it can be done, it is just the detail of exactly the method used that requires finalising.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, it has answered a lot of questions.

I haven’t bought the system yet, all I’m trying to do is to not have any “switches” and do everything via the computer screen. All the years I’ve had the RM system I haven’t delved into it to see what it can do. After reading your post I’m certainly going to learn a lot more about RM.

Firstly I’ll upgrade to pro and go from there.

Again I’d like to say thank you for your reply, I’ll probably read through it a few more times while I’m learning RM.

btw…I don’t know how to add links onto this forum. I’ll learn how to do that to…😁😁😁

• 2 weeks later...
I haven’t bought the system yet, all I’m trying to do is to not have any “switches” and do everything via the computer screen.

I get that. If you have a DCC layout that is operated by computer then having random switches to operate other stuff is a pain IMO...