R30176TXS Class 73 Ready to Run on HM7000 Control System?

Foden 4400

The product page does say sound fitted.

In fact out of the box all TXS decoders are set in DCC mode so you can run them from your existing DCC controller if you have one.

Once the app is available it will find the TXS decoder, automatically switch it to Bluetooth mode so you can assign it to a loco and run from your handheld device.

As the decoders have been sitting on the shelf for some time and development has moved along, there will be certain firmware and software updates to apply via the app to every new TXS decoder. The app will flag these up.

Pre ordered a Hornby Class 73 for £84.99. I think that’s a bargain for for a ‘Bluetooth DCC’ loco including sound. The App is free so it’s a very economical way for me trying DCC

I will looking in to the detailing kit - not heard of it until now, thanks Ighten !!

• 2 weeks later...
Hornby is saying that all Railroad models are almost certainly 8-pin.
I would think the 21-pin decoders will probably be used on the mainline models with their need for more functions.

Yes I kind of suspected that though it's still a reasonable deal. One does wonder though if the 66s will be 21 pin as these really are railroad models in a main range box, yet the catalogue seems to infer a 21pin.. But for what functions?.

The important thing here is to correctly identify the socket in the loco before decoder purchase. There is little difference in decoder function with the various connector PIN numbers apart from it being able to operate all the functions needed by the loco once it has done its setup.

PS. Respectfully, could everyone please stop repeating others posts in their replies, it’s quite unnecessary except in very particular circumstances. Note that after only 10 short replies this thread already has 2 pages. Just use the text box at the bottom of the page and use the green Post Reply under it as I’m doing now. If you need to identify a particular user’s post, just start with @nickname.

Slightly off topic but I'm wondering how these new decoders will operate under other models identical models. I have 2 Dapol 73s, my thinking is that if I put a 21 pin Hornby HM7K its DCC -

if I add a HM7K-TXS with a Hornby 73 sound file on it then the sound should work but I may have to fine tune some CV settings so it tunes to the motor better and there may be one or two sound glitches.

The decoder has no idea if it is mounted in a Hornby, Bachmann or any other make loco or if it is in a test rig. It will (this is getting to be an echo) run out of the box on DCC and come loaded with a generic steam loco sound set (if sound) and basic running settings.

If once the new sound profile is loaded via the app the loco running is poor then the simplest fettle is an auto-calibrate. If that doesn’t suit then as Fishy says you can hand calibrate the motor PID characteristics.

Diagram from the decoder manual. . .

forum_image_641037e81f09d.thumb.png.a0dbd57cac5a1f49ebf41d497cc94b29.png

Great diagram Rob. Will save me trying to explain this in words in future I hope.

One point of explanation and one (not so) interesting fact:

• if you set a throttle at a given speed step and the motor is yet to arrive at the setting you want, P is the first order correction, I the 2nd order and D the 3rd.
  • Who invented such a system? I suspect it was the little man/woman with the radio telescope trying to point it exactly at the restaurant at the end of the universe to see what was happening there all those light years ago.