Ship help needed

Paulus66

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of building a sailing ship. The older the better. I have offered an old Airfix kit, HMS Prince 1670. I know it is a rare kit but the asking price is a ton, is this to much ? Can anyone help.forum_image_64076bc7e8380.thumb.png.4aab8a0925d7802c8838e19ad009fc27.png

This kit has been out of production since some time in the nineties, possibly thirty years ago or thereabouts, so anybody looking for one is likely going to have to pay a premium for what is now a rare commodity. There's a couple on ebay right now, I suspect the same seller in the USA, buy-it-now is £150+, plus shipping (from the USA!). If this is the going rate, then it makes the one you have been offered look like a bit of a steal, but don't quote me on that and bear in mind nobody else seems to have one to sell online. So a lot depends on how much you'd like this particular kit. From my own perspective I'd be thinking that for £100 there's quite a few very nice looking Heller classic ship kits that are probably superior to the Airfix HMS Prince, although to be fair the Prince has some good reviews.

Hi All

Thank you for your wise words.

I did see the two sale in the USA they are fetching a premium. Three figures does seem very steep to my on reflection. I will most likely look around for another " period " ship or a more ancient one, Roman/Greek perhaps?

Again thanks a lot guys.

Paul71 ...Of course you can. You do a small bit at a time using a very fine brush ......and drink lots of tea.

It's important to only do a small bit at a time as it is very tiring concentrating on the fine detail and you need to rest or you'll make mistakes.

Ahhh ...Peebeep .....Only you can answer that!

joy

I use a magnifier or loupe for detail painting these days, I find it much less tiring, but yes, for any sort of repetitive process frequent breaks are a good idea (individual track links, LOL).

thanks patrick but my eyes do struggle on close up things even with glasses, had a bag of quickset ( like cement but higher content of lime to set faster) burst open into my eyes as i picked it up some years ago and with age they can get tired quick when looking at things close up even when just building, but with time and practice i might get to a decent standard but no where near as good as you