Railmaster and Windows 11

I have just got a new laptop, windows 11, downloaded Railmaster but can not get it to recognise USB ports on laptop.

I have tried changing the Com port numbers in railmaster ( use Com1 to Com6) still not see device. Computer is seeing device but does not recognise it.

On window 10 you could look up what usb port number are can't see it in window 11

can any one help me?

I don't use W11, but I do know that you can see the RM driver in W11 as other members of the forum have posted screen shots of it.

Note that W11 appears to have renamed the W10 driver.

The W10 driver was displayed as 'USB Serial Port (COMn)' whilst the W11 version is displayed as 'USB Serial Device (COMn)' where n is the com port number assigned.

Type 'Device Manager' in the W11 Task Bar Windows search field. Device Manager is where the port drivers are listed. Note that the driver named above will not appear in D.M unless the eLink/Elite interface box has been detected when plugged into a USB port, powered up and Windows 'Plug n Play' has detected it and loaded the driver from the Microsoft Server, thus the PC has to be connected to a working Internet connection. Windows 7 through to 11 does not use the driver included with the RM software. The included RM driver is only used on Windows XP & Vista.

If using an eLink, make sure that the 'Reset eLink on start' entry in the Railmaster.ini file is set as =0

P.S Could you please open your post edit menu option (3 vertical dots in top right corner of your post) and remove all the blank unused space below your text. You have an excess of 'carriage returns' typed there.

Moderator edit : dealt with

Although I agree entirely with Brian above. The USB 3.0 issue doesn't affect everybody. My Elite not only works fine on my Laptop USB 3.0 port it is currently working on my Laptop USB-C port. But can't comment on how true that is if using an eLink as I don't have an eLink to try.

As Elite and eLink use the same Windows driver, you would hope the behaviour of both is the same?

GWR, can you please confirm that, before going into RM, you have installed the Windows driver for your Elite/eLink and that DM is reporting it as present with the controller turned on, together with the Comm port number (should be a number under 5).

I know this is basic stuff but can’t see it confirmed in your post and, until the driver is present and correct in DM, RM has no chance of finding it nor you able to correctly tell RM which comm port it is on.

Just to add a clarification to my original reply.

The PC only needs to be connected to the Internet the very first time the driver is installed, once installed and showing in D.M, then the driver is loaded internally from the downloaded and saved file.

Although Railmaster will happily run without the Internet. RM does do some checking for updates over the Internet when started. This checking is just bypassed if no Internet is detected.

As well as setting 'Reset eLink on Start' to =0

I would also make sure that 'Alternative comms and Check Controller' in the .INI file are both set to =1

Also, read FAQ1 in the 'Railmaster FAQ Index' sticky thread.

FAQ1 contains specific guidance on how to recognise and resolve eLink driver installation issues.

Note that FAQ1 was written for Windows 7 to 10, so take into account the driver name change in my original reply when reading FAQ1.

Hi jimmydick, if you look back over the posts in this thread, you will see a lot of specific detail provided and GWR yet to get back to us on whether any of what we have provided to him has fixed his problem, or not.

Your coming in now without any resolution confirmed for GWR is called hijacking the thread and will lead potentially to a mish-mash of questions and answers between the pair of you:

Therefore can I suggest you do one of three things:

• follow the detail advice we’ve been giving without posting here and, if it solves your problem, post only to tell everyone what worked for you, or
  • If you need any more specifics from us for your case, then raise a new thread and we can attempt to give it to you without confusion between you and GWR, or
  • raise a new thread immediately