R7377 Power Bank

Why not - the decoders run on DCC out of the box so you have full control if you run DCC.

As previously posted how do you synchronise release of the app by a third party App Store with delivery of decoders all over the world. Both scenarios are out of Hornby's hands.

I am not complaining I am patient.

I don't know the time scale for getting apps online.

One of the key selling points is bluetooth capabilities, there is as an argument that you don't send out decoders until the app is available.

If a product relies on an app you launch the app first! Simple.

Again I am not complaining!

Rob, you are correct in saying that it would be an impossible job to coordinate delivery of hardware and the release of the app given the variables that are outside Hornby’s control.

However, in any project there is a point where the question ‘what went well, and what could we have done better?’ is asked.

In hindsight, I would suggest that what was, and is, within Hornby’s control is the communication. A simple press release announcing the imminent launch/release of the app and that the pre-ordered hardware was being despatched in anticipation would have been enough. Maybe a caveat to remind users that although the decoders would be ok in ‘legacy’ mode, full functionality would only be available once the app is available.

I guess much of this will be in the ‘big launch’ that the company will do but by then it may be too late for some. You can’t fail to have noticed the slight whiff of dissatisfaction from some.

Effective and timely communication is key - I was always told (when I was working) that provided you keep the customer fully informed, they will go along with almost anything. And of course it stops rumour and speculation.

I know I’m not alone in thinking this way, but I’ve always preferred an announced release date. It gave me something to look forward to and plan towards, like the night before Christmas. I’ve never been a fan of the silence up until the “oh hello its a random Tuesday and here’s this massive release everyone’s been waiting for” approach.

This will likely end up being Hornby’s flagship product and I think to date, I’ve had one email from them about it. They didn’t even announce that the decoders were now available other than the standard it’s in stock email.

It would have made more sense to release the app first I agree - for some this must be like releasing an apple pie with pastry and no apples - but I suspect other pressures such as end of year finances may have had an influence.

It's slightly incongruous to argue that legacy is fine when it's clear most of the current marketing is aimed at bringing DC users into DCC through an easier route. However ironically RAF and DarkRed are probably correct as most current buyers probably use DCC already I suspect. And Hornby will no doubt time the big official launch when the app is fully available.

I suspect we are very near for apple store anyway, I think RAF mentioned play and android could be a few weeks behind.

Anyone on the wider test team will tell you that the app on its own is useless without a decoder to interact with.

The first thing you do is login to your Hornby account, then go look for decoders. No decoders and there is no functionality in the app apart from pressing buttons that tell you to connect your decoder.

Chicken and egg situation.

I cannot defend Hornby’s marketing methods, but there again I am not allowed to publicly give them grief, like other members can.

Just a quick question, does anyone know if the power bank fit into the TT-120 Locos on sale at the moment.

The dimensions for the power bank are stated as:

Length 1.5cm

Height 1cm

Width 0.7cm

I don’t own any TT range products, but as long as there is a cavity big enough to accommodate those dimensions, I don’t see why not. Given how small that range is, I’d be surprised if many of them had much room inside to spare.