Running Micro Magless

Paul-346202

Sanding tires (and sealing the front) or swapping to silicone is never a bad idea.

How much weight and where can only be determined through trial and error. There isn't much space in a micro car though!

Some of the fantasy cars are very top heavy though so I doubt that would go well...

Sanding tires (and sealing the front) or swapping to silicone is never a bad idea.

How much weight and where can only be determined through trial and error. There isn't much space in a micro car though!

Some of the fantasy cars are very top heavy though so I doubt that would go well...

Thanks Andy, I heard that it might be possible to push the magnets out and add some weight but the holes are so small.

I have also heard heating the magnets might work to reduce magnetic effect.

The guide also seems like an issue as it doesn't let the car move, I think the AFX cars do have pins so better in that respect.

I think it would be a fun experiment modifying a micro car, I know some of the HO cars do run without magnets and it would be interesting to get a micro doing the same.

Yes high heat can kill magnetic force.

There are guides as pins and guides as flags available...

I will report back after doing some mods! Hopefully I can find a pin style guide.

I might first try the stock tyres and see if I can get them true and conditioned.

I will have to see how much weight I can get in, everything I am doing for modifications is from 1/32 so hopefully it will work. I have seen some AFX cars running without magnets and they go okay.

I can imagine if I can get it to work it will be a challenge to keep the cars on track. If I can get them drifting under the throttle I will be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that I adjust or remove magnetic "grip" on 9volt cars by gently pushing the magnets into the body with a small point (pen/small screwdriver etc). The magnets don't have any glue etc, simply being a firm physical fit - but they move nicely and stay put if partially moved, or can be pushed out completely. This allows you to adjust the "grip", or run cars with only a single magnet.

I can confirm that I adjust or remove magnetic "grip" on 9volt cars by gently pushing the magnets into the body with a small point (pen/small screwdriver etc). The magnets don't have any glue etc, simply being a firm physical fit - but they move nicely and stay put if partially moved, or can be pushed out completely. This allows you to adjust the "grip", or run cars with only a single magnet.

Thanks, after starting to modify one of the cars I sanded tyres and varnished the fronts.

As you say the magnets can be pushed up to vary the magnetic pull. My next step is to try and add weight. The issue will be with the cars kicking out like with 1/32 you have to use boarders if you want to push the cars.

I have tried with magnets out and no weight and the cars actually do move forward but struggle. I can identify several spaces to add weight. Once I have done this I can post pictures and results.

From sanding the tyres, oiling the motor and axles and varnishing the fronts the car went from being slower to faster. This just shows how important set up is even with magnets in.