Upgrading my OS

If you are NOT uninstalling Windows 7 and just running the free W10 update installer of Windows 10. Then you don't need to deactivate RM. I updated my RM Laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10 this way using the free upgrade route without issue.

This assumes that you can still get the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer, I would have thought that only W11 would be downloadable now.

Since the upgrade is shall we say not exactly 100% MS supported, then it might be prudent to deactivate RM before doing the OS upgrade. Reactivation later is then a painless automated process. I have done it a couple of times when changing hard drives via cloning software and not had any issues reactivating RM afterwards.

Looks like it is pretty risk-free to me as it is using the offical MS procedure that still happens to be available although the original free offer was only for 12 months from W10 release.

And W11 will be irrelevant as the hardware won’t be compatible given it is old enough for W7.

Just knowing the RM codes will not be sufficient if it does go pear shaped. HMRS will know that the old installation has not been de-activated and will not let you activate another one with the same codes. You would need to raise a support issue with them to sort it out. Make sure the email you originally activated RM with is still working. If not send them a support request from within a working RM to change it (I presume they will do it if so contacted).

Make sure you keep a copy of your activate.dat file as it contains all your original activation data.

But just like all the program and data files on your computer, I think everything will be unaffected by the OS update. Then again, I might be wrong? You’ll have a lot more worries than RM if I am.

Where’s AC when you need him? I’m sure he’ll know definitively about this side door.

I'm here Fishy... not been on the forum for a few days.

For the OP...

Upgrading from W7 to W10 or even W11 should not interfere with your programs or any data files you have. A clean install will though. It doesn't matter where the Windows install files come from as even those copies that have been altered shall we say are highly unlikely to interfere with your programs or files unless deeply malicious.

Of course it is always prudent to do a backup and this is your choice.

Reference was made to an upgrade from W7 to W11 not being possible because of the age of the computer or OS. While that for most folk is likely the case a few processors did have the correct instruction sets for compatibility toward the end of life for W7. Motherboards also had the facility M.2 added early and is activated within the BIOS and these two requirements are needed for W11 to work correctly or install to start with. There is currently a workaround but Microsoft will almost certainly close that off very shortly. W11 is essentially W10 with the added security levels and a GUI tweak.

Fishy is absolutely spot on re the activate.dat file.