Trying HM7000 in Arnold Loco’s

I watched the HM7000 podcast -

- and one of the issued raised was that in order to get the product more quickly, the HM7000 chips are slightly larger that what would be considered standard. To compensate for this, the TT120 models are designed to have extra space.

I would not expect the Arnold models designed before HM7000 to have an extra allowance built in for these chips, but they may well still fit. I would suggest you contacted Hornby and asked. It would be helpful if they posted a list.

Jenny Kirk recently did a video of which locos she had that would accept a N18S decoder. A surprisingly wide range.

Yes I saw she had fitted one easily into an N gauge diesel so I was hoping some of the larger modern units in the Arnold range might have enough space.

As ellocoloco said, it would be useful if someone at Hornby looked into this.

• 3 months later...

I have just heard back from Hornby who have stated that they do not think that a 7000 decoder/speaker will fit into the De18 loco which is apparently due out in Q4 this year

Further to what peachy said, it would be so useful to know what locos can be chipped not just those from Arnold but the Tillig , Roco and Piko ones too

i wish to purchase a tt continental loco , don’t really mind what era or company but I don’t want to spend £200 plus only to then find that I can’t chip it