Thomas not running in reverse (ultimate confusion and delay)

My Thomas is a bit of a mess and I’m considering just buying a new chassis at this point but maybe someone has had any luck with my problem.

So my version was DCC fitted and that’s how I bought it but it is the soldering version of DCC not the plug and go type we have now. I’m running on DC at the moment and Thomas will go forwards but in reverse he just stutters and barely moves and on an R2 curve just wobbles off and then drives on the middle wheels only! There’s no give in the wheels, which is unlike my 0-6-0PT which has a bit of give in one wheel set.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas? I’m tempted to buy a different brand of Thomas but we all know the old Hornby one and I still have Annie and Clarabel so it would be splendid to see them running again.

Are the worm and wormwheel meshing correctly in both directions? Are either worn (the wormwheel is particularly prone to wearing unevenly across the teeth)? Is the back-to-back measurement correct at 14.5mm between each pair of wheels. I am not entirely sure what you mean by "drives on the middle wheels only" - are the coupling rods not fitted? Are traction tyres fitted to the centre wheels?

Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t solder as yet so I think if it’s the chip I will buy the new chassis.

No traction tyres on this one but it doesn’t seem to have ever had them. I’ll look into your suggestions and see how I go. Perhaps it will live yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...