Doomed Model & missing mojo.

John Symmons

Doomed: Looking for my missing mojo.

I think the last time I posted about finishing a model was the Air Sea Rescue Launch, and that was way back in 2020. There were two Air Sea Rescue launches, one finished on the supplied stand, and an unfinished one on an unfinished sea scape. That one I haven’t touched since then, it’s remained on a shelf-of-doom together with a Hobby Boss 1/72 Br 52 Kriegslokomotive steam train, an Italeri Dornier Do 217N-1, a Dragon 1/72 Ta 152. (Both stalled about 5 plus years ago.) and now joined by an Airfix BE-2.

forum_image_64908ce6c4ab3.png.8fad87256bfebbd1909445c6c2d6008e.png

Airfix unfinished Rescue launch. Doomed?

forum_image_64908ce9afe93.png.ae4cbb51a19f7ce7a7c2ff455af9cb0c.png

Primed Italeri and Dragon Do 217 night fighter and Ta 152 H-1. Doomed?

forum_image_64908cec27316.png.6449e10905bf062a29735f6c9aab6345.png

forum_image_64908cede5ff7.png.420fb08ca897d747d5c5c26db356cc73.png

Hobby Boss Br 52 locomotive. Doomed.

forum_image_64908cef9c468.png.20bc947c7a026118c1dcb6a7db2abe39.png

forum_image_64908cf232430.png.f83b812ba8abb45dfcc2f802b347d3cd.png

Whoops! Airfix BE 2. Doomed?

The BE-2 was started with the hope of finding my mojo again as I’ve always enjoyed WW1 aircraft especially the Airfix versions. Maybe not the most accurate, or detailed, but usually more than adequate, and much simpler than the Roden offerings, and as I’d recently made the two versions of the Airfix Eindecker, and enjoyed both, (See previously posted review.) I thought the BE-2 would hopefully get my enthusiasm going again. Things went OK and I decided, against my better judgement to follow the instructions (not a good idea), even managed to do the rigging of the cabane struts. Then tried to add the top wing. Gluing ten points at once is just impossible and the cabane struts just didn’t fit into the cut-outs on the top wing. (My fault at not dry fitting and using the top wing as a jig when originally fitting the cabane struts, just trusting the Airfix new tooling.) Managed to sort-of get the top wing attached, but my enthusiasm was waning rapidly, then I dropped it. The top wing came off only being held by the cabane strut rigging and the rudder came off. So, the BE-2 joined the doomed models only missing being binned by a whisper. Maybe I’ll get some inspiration to try and fix it.

So, I started one of my Airfix Gloster Gladiator kits and two Stug III Assault/anti-tank gun. I built the Stug III when it first came out, I think it was the third or fourth armored model Airfix produced in about 1959, as I think I was still at school, and back then, to me, it looked like a tank should have looked. So, when Airfix re-released it as a vintage classic I treated myself looking for those childhood memories. The idea being to do one as a captured Russian version, and one in German winter camouflage. In 1959 my expectations were a lot simpler than now, and all I can say is the childhood memories were changed to disappointment. The model looking little more than a toy. Both models are now 90% finished, and as I’m so disappointed with them I’ll probably just bin them. They are just not fun anymore.

forum_image_64908cf4c19cc.png.f2594f4c6edbd314511cffcb66064587.png

The Stug III s and the WW1 tank Now finished ready for recycling. All I’m keeping is the Howitzer

I did finally finish the Gladiator, except for the rigging, maybe I’ll get around to it one day, but for now I’m calling it finished. Also somehow finished the WW1 male tank sans any weathering. Being honest, finishing those models felt more like a job-of-work than enjoyable modelling. Both models being brush painted, and they both look like something I might have built when I was 14 in the late 1950’s. 

forum_image_64908cf705663.png.66507d1cdf5fc5a9e4891b101477154b.png

forum_image_64908cf9869ce.png.63cf2e8fce08d31498d3b80022ac7118.png

Two views of the Gladiator brush painted in RAF colours. Not my best, but light-years ahead of the original from the late 50’s.

The only model I’m happy with is an ACE kit of the Cannon de 155C a WW! 155mm field cannon finished as a museum piece, so nice and pristine with no weathering. Also, freehand brush painted. 

forum_image_64908cfbc33a2.png.9bdffdbae8d1b9a1e0c3fedd663959a6.png

forum_image_64908cfd74fce.png.1bcb05e3e5868dd619e50825c9a8b2f3.png

ACE 10.5 cm Howitzer.

Also managed to finally finish the WW1 male tank. Also brush painted, not really satisfied with it. I’m sure I can do better. Now it looks more like a poorly made toy. Oh well! Maybe next time. Finally finished the Stug IIIs, well finished as far as I’m concerned

As a side note the Br 52 locomotive is probably one of the largest and most complicated 1/72 armour model I’ve ever come across, the instructions can easily get you confused as to the orientation of what the instruction drawings are showing you that it’s all too easy to fit parts on the wrong side.

So where do I find my mojo and make modelling fun again? I must admit the new Airfix Mosquito looks very tempting, I have one on order from our local supplier, just hope it comes to Cape Town pretty soon. I did wonder why Airfix decided to retool the Mossy as apart from the cockpit canopy there was nothing wrong with the previous release, and there was the choice of three versions and both crew members. The wing to fuselage join was genius, you could not use glue on that joint and nobody would know; as I said, genius. I’m sure there was a way to convert the fighter to the bomber version, after-all Frog managed it back in the 60’s.

Nothing on shelf-of-doom is calling to me with maybe the exception of the Do 217, always did like the Do 17 / 217 series, again they just looked right. I’ve pulled a few candidates from my stash that have piqued my interest again. (See photo below.) 

forum_image_64908d0017bf8.png.f82a2759dedd785fb9a7cf3f644c1a09.png

From left to right there is Roden’s Pfalz D III, and Albatros D I, Airfix Albatros D V with a Revell D III in the same box, ESCI Albatros D III, and Sopwith Camel, Airfix Bf 110E trop, and the A6M2 Zero and finally the Edward Albatros D V / Va Profi-Pack. (Note the predominance of WW1 aircraft.)  and my affinity for the Albatros. The ones calling the loudest are the Airfix and Revell Albatrosses D V /D III, and surprisingly the Airfix A6M2 Zero. Wish me luck.

Also, I’ve added some shots of my build of the previous Mossy release done as one of the Tse-Tse Mk XVIII (Definitely on of my better efforts.) using the Camouflage & Markings; RAF Fighter Command; 1936 to 1945 by James Goulding & Robert Jones published by Ducimus Books 1970 / 71 (And it was still printed in London UK.)

forum_image_64908d01c58ee.png.75508b0c485311c33aa7e2777721a625.png

forum_image_64908d0423d30.png.6cd88680fed81dba5ebe430dbb13eb9b.png

Tse-Tse Mosquito

Remember we do this for fun.           John the Pom

PS. Did finally manage to get the top wing on the BE 2 now all I have to sort out is how to replace the cabane struts.

forum_image_64908d064da13.png.ac96579f130397786cfde7653eff9757.png

forum_image_64908d08e52de.png.f3b2bb718c249c5601bf900650d8632c.png

Part two to follow with a ramble through my stash. All comment welcome.

Oh! I'll get there soon.

You might be surprised to find you are not the only one to lose your MOJO. It happens to all of us. The trick is to find a kit that is simple to build and to build it quickly so that you feel you have achieved something. It's best to pick something outside your usual interest. Why? because if it is a subject you are interested in you will end up going into detail and that is counterproductive. When I lose my mojo - remember I'm into liners - I usually grab a tank kit and build it out of the box in a week. That why I feel I've achieved something. I've basically built the whole Airfix range of military vehicles ....... so you can see how often I've had moho problems! (Incidentally we usually refer to it as Advanced Modellers Syndrome, (AMS)). This usually helps me get back on track. To be honest a WW1 biplane doesn't sound like a straightforward, quick build if you're going to get into rigging it.

I went through a long dry spell in the eighties. I felt my models were not up to scratch and there were a whole pile of kits going to the bin. I remember the Matchbox Mustang, Airfix, Hercules, Revell Aircobra ......... Stick with it. This period will pass and you'll get back on track.

Doomed: Looking for my missing mojo. Part two.

Decisions! Decisions! And some ramblings

Kits in the stash. My kits are stored on five selves in some sort of logical? order as to subject, i.e., aircraft, armour, naval etc. Not always as successfully as I’d liked.  Above in part one I showed a few kits in my stash that hopefully might get my mojo back and maybe give me some inspiration. So, here’s a quick tour of the rest of my 100+ kit stash.

Top shelf.

All WW2 aircraft are 1/72 scale with the possible exception of the LS Ki-46 III Dinah as some of their earlier kits were scaled at 1/75? Like their A6N2-N float plane Zero (Ruff). Comparing it to the 1950’s 60’s Airfix and Frog Zeros it was fractionally smaller, but then again, the Frog and Airfix models differed in sizes anyway, but as to the 1/72 the Frog models were usually slightly bigger than both Revell and Airfix by a few millimeters. The LS box is labeled as 1/72 and I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.  As back in the day it was rumored that 175 was their scale. The most represented manufacture being Airfix with a smattering of the other major manufactures, and maybe a few that’re new to you like LS.

forum_image_6491290dde56c.png.be99f13cd90198e43fbc28689865d745.png

From left to right; Airfixes - HP 0/400, He 111, Swordfish float plane, Do. 17Z, IGM’s Bf. 109-E 4 night-fighter, Airfix B5N2 Kate, Me. 262B night fighter, beneath the Gladiator Mk 1, Dh 82 Tiger Moth, Roden’s Lagg-3 66 and 1,5,11 series beneath the afore mentioned LS Ki-46 III; the box also containing the Airfix Ki-46 II. Next is the Smer Breguet 693 (Which I’m sure is from the old Heller molds as I’ve made this kit as a Heller offering way-back-when, and the parts and construction looks identical even down the fragility of the prop blades, canons and undercarriage, not to mention the total lack of any interior, but still makes up to a very pretty aircraft. If you ever come across the Heller Potez 63 series these are beautiful kits that assemble into very neat photogenic models, maybe a bit Me 110-ish but somehow much prettier in a French way.).

Next comes the LS version of the Mitsubishi Ki. 46 III Dinah of the Hasagawa FW 190D-9 together with the Airfix Ki. 46 II version in the box, next to Hasagawa Fw. 190D-9 together with the Airfix version in the same box. Underneath is the Hasagawa Ki 43 II Oscar with the Revell Ki 43 1c in the box, and finally is the Academy A6M5c Zero, very nice box art on this one.

Now, it gets interesting, starting with Dragons Ki 61 Hein (Tony) this model offering 3 different versions together with 6 decal options, next is IGM’s Do 17Z in Finish markings, and winter camouflage, then the Italeri Do 24T with four decal options, Revell’s He 177A-5 with the guided bombs, Trumpeter’s FW 200C-4 Condor. And finally, above, two very old 1960’s Airfix models, He177A-5 and the Ju 52/3M with German land or floatplane options, plus a Swiss civilian option. Would love to see Airfix re-tool the 177 as this old one suffers from limited interior and too many “play features”, this is a big aircraft being as big as the B17 Fortress.

Second Shelf. 1/72 scale armour.

The armour kits are all 1/72 apart from several Airfix figure sets that are 00 or 1/76 scale which for me is fine as most 1/72 scale figures come out at 25mm for a 6-foot figure, whereas 1/76 scale figures equals approximately 24mm which equates to a 5 foot eight inch figure which believe it or not is more in keeping with the time period of the 1940’s. while today a 6 feet tall guy is almost the norm back then it was the rarity.

forum_image_649129105b6ed.png.41409e80e6c1613212cacbd79217e0c6.png

As can be seen the majority of kits are Roden and Zvezda and all are soft-skinned or artillery pieces. I must admit to liking the Roden range for their diversity and superb box art. They might be a bit short-run-ish, and in cases way over engineered (see the basic Opel Blitz truck.) with very small fragile parts, instructions that could be improved and quite “flashy” molding, but they usually give plenty of options. Possibly my favorite was Opel Blitz command bus, the interior even had a map table and table lamp also a type-writer, the photo-etch roof rack was a bit of a pain, bit when finished with some roof-rack loads it make up to a very nice unusual model, full of tons of diorama potential.

The Zvezda models are all from their push fit “Art of Tactic” game series, but don’t dismiss them as not real models. Their Pak 40, Pak 38 88mm, are highly detailed and come with detailed action crew, and a base to mount the model onto, like the old Matchbox kits. Two of my other favorites being the motor-bike and side-car, the Russian 40mm AA gun and the German Luftwaffe ground crew, I actually build two of them.

OK back to the stash, again from left to right, Hasagawa Morser Karl 600 mm Morser on rail carriage in a huge mini-box??, Trumpeter, Sd.kfz.9/1 Framo recovery truck with 18-ton crane. (Box lists 325 parts.) I’ve built both the Revell and Trumpeter versions of the normal Framo and they are huge even in 1/72 scale, to get a true appreciation of their size try putting a 1/72 figure next to them, the front wheels are almost the same size as a figure. Above is another Hasagawa mini-box of the Toyota GB aircraft starter-truck, lots of diorama potential with the Ki 43.

Next are some Zvezda “Art of Tactic” sets, German elite troops 1941 / 43, German Flak-38 20mm AA gun with crew, (ideal for mounting onto an Opel Blitz truck) German R12 BMW motor-cycle and side-car with crew, (again endless diorama potential) British Bofors 40mm Mk-1/2 AA gun and crew, next is a set of WW1 German infantry (1914 / 18) with machine gun and crew. Another thing I like with these Zvezda kits is that they are not molded in that horrible vinyl rubbery plastic that you can’t glue or paint, Zvezda have used a semi flexible hard styrene plastic that can accept paint and glue. This WW1 set has 41 figures with over 127 parts.

Next is the Revell grossly over engineered 8.8 cm Flak 36 AA gun with Sd.Ah 52 & Sd.Ah 202 which I take it are the aiming and fire controls and or the transport carriages and at 200 parts, this for a gun that can sit on a 65mm square plus added room for the parked transport carriages, and fire control module, typically no crew supplied, with 200 parts some minute, makes this a scary model to assemble. Personally, for my money the Hasagawa mini-box version take a lot of beating if you can find one. This Revell over engineered version together with the ??horrible?? Airfix version are the least desirable, I still prefer the Zvezda version to either of them. Just add a few ammo boxes and shells borrowed from the Hasagawa version, and you have a nice little vignette.  I doubt I’ll ever make this Revell version.

Next is some odd-ball kits from my favorite odd-ball manufacturer; Roden. First is maybe not that odd-ball, the German PAK-40 anti-tank gun, brought about +/-15 years ago and still untouched. The there’s the odd-ball WW1 vignette type of kit of the FWD model B 3-ton ammo carrying lorry towing an 8-inch Mk VI howitzer and limber. I’ve made the stand-alone version of this lorry or truck, and what a beautiful little model the only real problem was the side decals needed to be cut to fit over the truck body ribbing. One thing Roden fall down on, like many other manufactures I could mention, some even not including pilots in the aircraft models, is not including any crew, not even a driver, and if a model really needed some crew, it’s this one. Next is another odd-ball model of which Roden make issued two versions, the Rolls Royce armoured car, this kit is of the 1918 > 1941 middle east version with the wider sand tyres. Next is more Roden. The first box is for the Opel Blitz but this is the Daimler version with the wooden cab together with the Academy version, which allows either the Opel (metal cab) or Daimler (wooden cab) versions to be built with the high sided wooden rear with no covering. Finally, there’s the standard Opel truck with grossly over-engineered running gear, and engine, (maybe Roden were designing for a 1/35 scale as then it might make more sense, but for 1/72 it’s just plain madness as it’ll not be seen, as working wheels and steering is just too fragile in this scale. The model comes in two versions with the normal wooden slatted high sides or as a strake sided truck with or without a canopy, and six paint options, also in the box is a much-simplified version of the Opel Blitz as a metal sided ambulance from Italeri, ex ESCI, with 4 paint options. The final box says Vomag 7 or 600 truck with the 88mm Flak AA canon, but in the box is the Sd.Kfz. 4/1 8cm Panzerwerfer, basically an armoured Opel Maultier with a 24 rocket launcher mounted on the rear. If the tracked rear looks familiar, it is, as the Maultier used the light tracks from British equipment left behind at Dunkirk. This is another over-engineered model with the engine and running gear taken from a previous model and featuring a lot of interior detail that’ll never be seen.

Third shelf Ships and 1/72? figure sets.

This shelf Airfix makes a return in the 1/76 or 00 scale figures together with an assortment of Revell 1/72 figures and some 600th scale ships and a single 1/72 Revell S Boat. Again, from bottom left to upper right.

forum_image_649129120634d.png.c227484ca72acbbc2ec4e91deb91742b.png

Starting with three Revell figure sets, German mechanized infantry 1944, German horse drawn artillery early WW2, German paratroopers 1941-ish, no date given on the box. Next comes two oddities from Hat, of two horse drawn wagons, German WW2 field wagon with two crew, then a French field wagon with one Napoleonic rider. Each of these boxes came with three models in the box and I’ve made one of each of the wagons. These wagons wouldn’t look out of place in virtually any setting from 1900 to 1940 just use appropriate riders or drivers, after all horse drawn wagons have hardly changed since Roman times. On the top are three Airfix sets, two sets of WW2 RAF personnel, and the WW1 Royal horse artillery. Next are WW1 British infantry and WW1 German infantry. Then there’s Italeri’s Battlefield buildings set, very useful for dioramas, good to see this is molded in normal styrene plastic. As an aside do not use Tamiya’s rattle can primer on the vinyl rubbery plastic so beloved by Revell, Airfix, Italeri and others as it might look like it’s sticking but it won’t and as soon as you touch it bits will flake off making a mess that’s difficult to clean up, preferably use the cheap home use rattle cans from your local hardware, it’s not perfect but it’s far better that he Tamiya primer.

On the bottom is the 1/350 scale Trumpeter Prinz Eugen with an S-Boat plus added photo etch and brass barrels; definitely not a week-end build. Going up one there is the 1/72 Revell S-100 boat with the Flak 38, with the Revell naval figure set, some of which are some-what over scale at 27mm plus. I’ve made the 1/72 Airfix E(?)-Boat and really enjoyed it. The fit, apart from the hull, and the hull / deck fitting which leaves a bit to be desired, generally being excellent 

Next comes some Airfix 1/600 scale ships, still the best scale for ships especially if you’re compromised for space. Starting with the re-release vintage classic HMS Ark Royal, (Built her when she first came out in 1966.) then there’s the white boxed Prinz Eugen, (Always loved the lines of this ship and aways thought it was sacrilege what the Americans did to her, just think if she was saved as a museum ship? She was often referred as the little sister to the Bismarck. A few years ago, the log-book of the gunnery officer came to light and it looks like the salvo from the Prinze Eugen could have sunk the Hood as they’ve calculated that the Bismarck’s salvo was still in the air. Now, that to me is sort-of poetic, a cruiser sinking another cruiser. (PS how many of you know that the Hood was often colloquially referred to as the ‘Submarine’, as her aft deck was often awash due her low free-board.) and finally HMS Belfast, in the brown modeled box. I’ve often opened this box, but the complexity of the kit together with the paint scheme has always scared me off.

Those sharp eyed might have noticed I’ve missed two boxes. These are the Admiral Graf Spee and HMS Achilles produced by Eagle (also known later as Eagle Wall) the produced a series of 1200 scale water-line or full hull models in the late 50’s. they were done as a battle series the first being the Battle of the River Plate consisting of HMS Exeter, Achilles and Ajax, plus the Graf Spee. Eagle later released the capture of the Altmark and included the Altmark and HMS Cossack. For those that are a bit rusty on your naval history the Altmark was the supply ship for the Graf Spee and at the time of her capture was taking the Graf Spee’s prisoners back to Germany. Eagle went on to do the sinking of the Bismarck and the Battle of the Atlantic, unfortunately the company didn’t last long and soon disappeared. I’ve often wondered what happened to the molds. The two models I have, have been started but never finished and now have several parts missing, but should be reasonably easy to scratch build, also the Achilles instructions are missing, but these two boxes have real sentimental value to me, more so than any other model in my stash.

Bottom shelf #1; some more ships including one real scary monster.

This includes the remainder of my 1/350 scale ships and the monster that was only in the shop for a few hours before I came along just to browse as the money was a bit tight, thank goodness for credit cards.

forum_image_64912913bc283.png.96cc2e0806a9fc89b5e31923562fe2a2.png

This time I’m going from left to right and top to bottom. Hiding in the far left are two Airfix models, HMS Victory starter set and a vintage poly bagged Revenge still with the printed acetate ratlines the kit molded in white plastic. The bag has been opened and the parts are complete. Is it worth building? I don’t consider myself a collector as I believe kits should be made but sometimes, just sometimes I do wonder, maybe they should be left unmade.

Ok back to 350 scale ships. Right on the top almost hidden is the Revell Type VII U-boat with the Revell photo etch set. I brought it to go with the S-boat and the Prinz Eugen. Next down is the Trumpeter USS England DE 635 with the WEM photo etch set and floater basket set. Across is the Trumpeter German Zerstorer Z-25 1944 with added WEM photo etch parts. Down one we get to the big stuff with the Trumpeter HMS Hood (the Mighty ‘ood or the ‘Submarine’ depending how cool you want to sound. This kit has the Trumpeter brass barrel set added, and the WEM photo etch set together with some WEM resin turrets and AA guns. This model I feel quite confident in building it’s just a matter of time.

On the very bottom is my scary monster. I was on my way home after working a morning 6 to 2 shift, and to miss part of the busy free-way I decided to do a detour which took me near one of my favorite model shops that always had quite an eclectic assortment of kits, you know, just to browse a bit with no real intension of buying anything. Well up on the top shelf there she was, just softly whispering my name, I asked the price and admit I baulked a bit as there was no way I could afford that, but. You all know where I’m going, all I can say credit cards really come in useful when they shouldn’t. The card went through and she was mine then the owner of the shop can in and immediately saw the gapping hole on the shelf. “I only put that up there mid-day.” was his comment, I think he was coming in to take it down to keep it for himself. Actually, I‘ve since confirmed that this is what he was going to do, but as I’d already paid there was nothing he could do. So, we had an unboxing in the store, the plastic has even to this day been unsealed and the hull is still locked in the box having never been removed. I’ve scoured the instruction and even written my own as Dragon instructions are not the best, but it still scares the ****xxxx**** out of me. I reckon the Dragon Scharnhorst 1943 must be the ultimate 1/350 scale model ship, all I’ve added is the WEM photo etch set and a few pieces of additional photo etch. Notice I’ve never mentioned the price, which is still on the box at over R1600. I’ve seen this same kit offered at over twice the price, now with the Rand going down it’s probably even more. Not that I could sell it as the cost of couriering it, as it’s way too big to post, would be astronomical. Maybe one day I’ll summon up some courage and make a start.

Bottom shelf #2

The other bottom shelf for some more odd-ball models, and my only 1/32 scaled model.

When I got back into making models I went back to where I started with my first real model kit, the Airfix Albatros D. V. I still had an old poly bag example so that was where I started, together with my first attempt at photographing models. A few months ago, I was going through some of those photos when I noticed I’d made a stupid mistake with the Albatros, I’d put the engine back-to-front and in consequence the exhaust pipe was on the wrong side, just goes to show even with instructions we can still be human. Anyway, that Albatros re-awakened my interest in WW1 aircraft and as most WW1 aircraft were cheaper than WW2 models, I quickly built up quite a collection of finished models and as some of the models had the lozenge camouflage and decals weren’t available, I learnt how to make my own getting them laser printed at a local print shop at the cheap price of R5 for an A4 size sheet. (R5 then was about ten bob 10/-) So, I quickly built up quite a collection of bi-planes from WW1 onwards to WW2. These had to go somewhere so this is where they ended up on the other bottom shelf.

forum_image_64912915775a8.png.4c17234ef41134d2cbd9e433d74f0510.png

The bagged models on the top are Airfix Roland C-11 Walfisch and the Hannover CL-IIIa both still with their 2/9d stickers and from Jewell’s in Newquay. The other model is a Renwal Aero-Skin Pfalz D-III flown by Lt Alfred Lenz. Unfortunately, the sheet Aero-skin has suffered from age and now is so discoloured as be virtually useless. Underneath from left to right is the Roden Gotha B. V. Next is two IGM kits Nakajima Ki-27a and the I-5 (early) in an overall red livery. The I-5 was a Russian Soviet biplane fighter. This red liveried 2nd prototype became the personal aircraft of the red army air-force Chief, J. Alksnis; another odd-ball kit.

Next is a collection of 1/72 Roden WW1 aircraft, Sopwith F-1 Camel two-seater trainer with 7 decal options, F-1 Camel with the Bentley engine, together with a selection of airwave white metal parts, the kit includes 4 decal options, F-1 Camel with the LaRhone engine, with 8 liveries and decals, followed by RAF S.E.5a with the Wolseley Viper engine with 3 decal options, including the aircraft of Edward Mannock. Followed by another RAF S.E.5 a with the Hispano Suiza engine with 9 decal options including James McCaddenp; Then rarely seen one the Junkers D.I. with two decal options.

Next are three more oddities the Revell Polikarpov1-153 Chaika, Roden Wolseley Viper engine from WW1 in the 1/32 scale, and finally the Revell 1/72 Boeing P-26A Peashooter. (This last kit has been started with the main wing and tail plane assembled. Then it’s into the interwar period with the Airfix Bristol Bulldog in the white box; with a price sticker of R49.90. Back to WW1 with Revell’s Sopwith Triplane and the Sopwith F-1 Camel with an Airwaves PE set. Then some more WW1 this time with some old boxing from Airfix; Sopwith Pup, the RE8 1918 in a Vintage Aircraft Edition white boxing, This, model dates back to the 50’s and it’s defiantly showing its age but it’s still the only one available if you can find one. Next is the similarly boxed Arco DH4 1918, and finally Sopwith Pup. The DH4 and the Pup look to be very nice little kits.

The final boxes are 4 more odd-ball kits of inter-war aircraft. Aircraft development sort-of took a back-seat in the 20’s and early 30’s especially in the military side except in France and Heller have released a nice series of 1930’s aircraft. Here’s the Dewoitine D510 with 2 decal options, the Morane Saulnier MS225, and the Nieuport Delage NiD 622 also with 2 decal options. The Morane Saulnier box also contains the Bucker Bu 133 a 1930’s WWII German trainer biplane that’s about half the size of a Spitfire. The final box is the beautiful Fiat CR.32 Chirrii with no less than 7 decal options.

Two figure sets not shown are a Revell German infantry 1942 set of figures and the very nicely molded Dark Studio set of Germany, French, Russian and British WW1 airman and other related figures in some very interesting poses including a British airman quaffing a pint; Dutch courage or flying is thirty stuff?

forum_image_649129172edfb.png.a0d8b78295331c94cd3bc19f6d56ee12.png

Thirsty work (Dark stu8do figures)

Conclusions and after thoughts.

This collection of kits is what I have left after a serious culling a few years ago. Previously it was well over 300 kits with many going back over 50 years plus, and included some vintage Frog, Matchbox, Heller, and Revell models still in their original boxes plus numinous bagged but sealed models complete with the original instructions and decals, but minus the original packaging, and some newer Dragon kits like the Do. 335 and the Arado 234 series. I only kept the kits I thought I had any chance of making or held some significant meaning for me. Believe me it was hard deciding what to keep or to let go. The better newer kits that were in the original unopened packaging were sold through a local online hobby shop; I only recued the Dragon Ki 61. The remaining +/-175 were in a couple black-bin-liner bagged, and given to another hobby shop to give away, sell for what-ever, or make-an-offer. I believe the whole lot was gone in under two weeks.

Looking back, I’m glad I was forced to cull the collection as there was no way I could make that many models, not at my age, it also limited my choice of what to make next. Do I miss them? Of course, I do but at the same time hopefully they’ve been given a chance of being made, and appreciated by somebody else. I haven’t brought another model since then even though I’ve been very tempted on several occasions, but I must admit the new Airfix Mossy is very, very tempting.

I can’t help wondering, if Airfix would up-scale the Mossy to 1/48th, even though it’s out of my scale range, I hope they do as it would pave the way for a 48th DH 88 Comet racer and then hopefully the beautiful Supermarine S.6B. two aircraft that were very instrumental to the development of the Spitfire and the Mosquito. I’m sure they would sell like hot-cakes.

I’ve found that even with my cut-down stash I’m still spoilt for choice and having difficulties in what to build next. Decisions, Decisions! Maybe, that’s why my mojo isn’t working like it used to, hence the list of kits that are softly whispering to me, and reading through reviews on the forum seems the Airfix Zero it’s a good mojo build. (See my selection from part 1.) The Zero seems like a nice choice as I do like the Japanese WW2 aircraft, even though the livery is a bit under whelming. (Come on Airfix how about some more, like the Ki. 43, seeing as you seem to have a liking for twins.)

Well, that’s about it for now. Hope you enjoyed the rambling through my stash, and wish me luck. And remember we do this for fun.                                     John the Pom.

PS. The Zero it is.   JtP.

Finish of with a bo0nus photoforum_image_64912919744ba.png.f28131e75791826cf3ff4a4f2f2595fc.png

Vomag 7 or 600 with88mm Flak

Kits of the 50s & 60s were not scale models but toys we made to play with ourselves. We were not concerned with accuracy or fit of parts, they were things employed in our childhood battles. As our years have advanced, our expectations have changed. We insist upon well-fitting parts, accuracy in detail and scale. The obsessions can (and do) lead to Advanced Modelling Syndrome (AMS). It is only when we discard these high expectations that we can tackle these kits with the innocence of youth.

Thanks Sailorman and Ratch for your comments, one quick question, does the advanced in AMS refer to skill level or the modelers age, (LOL!) if age, that's me. The jigging of those WW1 biplanes I must admit can be a bit of a pain but once you've got your technique sorted out I find it can be quite "thera-peu-tic" to quote Bing Crosby from the film "High Society", and when finished, a wonderful sense of achievement. If I can rig the Roden Bristol Fighter I feel I can rig just about anything, that's the aircraft behind the pint quaffing airman shown at the end of part 2.

I've found that just put down those words has awakened my resolve to do something about the BE 2 and finish it, after-all I've overcome the mishap of breaking off the foremast of a fully rigged Tamiya USS Missouri, although it did take me a few months to regain my courage to tackle the repair.

forum_image_6491b5b133e63.png.d9609aaa6bedde3ba81bf2f7fb56b283.pngWhoops! A really annoying accident.

forum_image_6491b5b3bf88a.thumb.png.0b2bc604438e7d6911b5dd9ff8d72212.pngAll fixed-up, sort of. Near-enough-to-jazz for me.

I do feel a bit more motivated to organize my work space which i admit is a bit of a dog's dinner and getting back into reducing my stash of a few more models. Maybe the Me110 as I've always been intrigued by it.

Remember we do this for fun. John the Pom

AMS - Advanced Modellers' Syndrome - a vegitative state where modelling cannot be done because more research is required, this reveals more corrections to be made, which produces greater confusion requiring more research resulting in less modelling ad infinitum

Sometimes it’s easier just to buy a kit than to look for the ones I have….

I have a log of all my kits on a spreadsheet, noting their location. I still have to ensure I don't buy kits on a whim and replicate stuff I already have. With 400+ kits in my stash I have to justify additions to it.

I also have everything on a spreadsheet. And I know where everything is, they can only be in one place, in the mess above. It’s clear that I need more space. I have 3500 + kits.

I also have a large collection of US model trains and a substantial book collection.

My secret to keeping motivated and keeping my mojo is by reading books. After reading about the exploits of the Swordfish I knew I just had to have them for example. The bravery of those crews is astonishing, everything in my collection has a story. My models are a conversation starter, perhaps I am only using model media so I can tell a story, maybe I’m less a model builder but more so a storyteller?

Ratch is the same, I have read everything he’s written about various airbases here with great interest, its less about the models than it is about the story for me, Ratch does themed models much like I wish to do.

It appears that since neither Ratch of myself have suffered from burnout that the themed approach works, none of my 3500+ kits are random, they all fit into the greater story.

Randall

I’ve been following the ruminations in this thread with great interest – it’s fascinating to learn what motivates other modellers. For some I’m sure it’s the rivet-counting pursuit of excellence and accuracy, whilst for others it’s simply producing something out of the box which helped to fill in a few hours of leisure time.

For me, the narrative is very important, and I’ve found that it can work in two directions. I can read something which inspires me to find a model that is part of that story – for example, my WW1 project really grew out of reading about the formation of the RFC and its development, particularly on the Western Front, whilst at other times, getting a kit has driven me to delve into the story and background – and of course, nowadays we have the relative luxury of t’interweb, and the ability to fit a kit into an alternative narrative by availing ourselves of the plethora of liveries and code letters and decals in general that simply weren’t available when I was a young modeller.

An example is one of my on-going projects relating to RAF Warmwell, just up the road from where I live in Dorset. As one of the BoB satellite airfields it was interesting enough, but factor in what happened when the USAF arrived, and also the ASR aircraft that used the airfield, and the various other tug-aircraft and bombing range users and there’s enough there alone to keep me going for a while, with each thread of the central woven narrative being a rich seam of involvement, reading, research and best of all – modelling – in itself. For example, because several different squadrons flew out of Warmwell during the Bob, I can build several Spitfires (or Hurricanes), but with the assistance of research, they can be varied by their markings, and even personalised to reflect actual pilots of the time.

I returned to ‘serious’ modelling after around 60 years absence, and anyone taking up the hobby (and after all, that’s what it is to some people – whilst to others it’s more of an obsession…) in this day and age has so much more choice and availability and variety that it’s small wonder that there are as many reasons for modelling as there are modellers.

But surely the key to it all is to enjoy what we do for whichever and whatever reason we do it! I did let slip to SWIMBO that I’d been reading about some modellers with in excess of 2,000 kits in their various stashes – she simply said that the thirty or so on my shelf was more than enough to keep me going!

But to return to where I started this reply – I’m really enjoying this particular dialogue! Just one of the many reasons (inspiration being only one of them) which makes this Forum – for all its occasional clunkiness and frustration – such a valuable adjunct to what we all enjoy, for whatever reason.

To continue the post that I put up yesterday, and to illustrate the narrative connected to RAF Warmwell, here’s a list of the possible aircraft that were flown in and out of the station between 1939 and 1945:

Anson Mk 1

Overstrand

Seal

Hind

Harrow

Spitfire Mk 1  

Lysander  

Spitfire Mk V 

Walrus  

Defiant  

Hurricane IIb

Whirlwind Mk I  

Typhoon

Typhoon Ib

Hurricane Mk IV

P-38J Lightning (Two different USAF fighter groups)

Spitfire Vb

Miles Martinet

Master

Tempest

C-47 (emergency landings after D-Day)

And given that there were several different squadrons flying Spitfires and Hurricanes, and different marques of both, the opportunities for different markings and camouflage open up even further!

At least 5 different squadrons flew Lysanders from Warmwell – the difficulty being getting hold of a suitable kit of course (given the price and scarcity of the old Airfix moulding…). I've built one, but it wasn't the Airfix version.

So even if I might go off at a modelling tangent from time to time, I can always come back to Warmwell. It should keep me going for a while!

Hi Randall

You make a very valid point about getting kits whilst they are available. I suppose it does show that the hobby is increasingly popular in that either the manufacturers are successfully limiting their output to be sure of having no surplus, or (and in the case of the Vintage Classic market) nostalgia rules! My problem of course is that I am returning to scale modelling after a gap of more or less 60 years and many of the models that I'd like to build are simply no longer available other than through one or two specialists who can charge pretty much what they like. I frequently look at the wish-lists that appear on this forum (and contribute to them myself - a new tool Fairey Battle and a new tool Hampden both in 1/72 please Mr Airfix!) but it seems that more focus is aimed at 1/48 scale in terms of viability (and of course profitability).

I guess it's also a question (as prices increase) of being limited to buying what I know I'm going to build - it's hard enough to justify my relatively paltry stash as it is!

Anyway, good to chat - and thanks for the pictures of your collection: aspirational and inspirational.

Hi Randall
You make a very valid point about getting kits whilst they are available. I suppose it does show that the hobby is increasingly popular in that either the manufacturers are successfully limiting their output to be sure of having no surplus, or (and in the case of the Vintage Classic market) nostalgia rules! My problem of course is that I am returning to scale modelling after a gap of more or less 60 years and many of the models that I'd like to build are simply no longer available other than through one or two specialists who can charge pretty much what they like. I frequently look at the wish-lists that appear on this forum (and contribute to them myself - a new tool Fairey Battle and a new tool Hampden both in 1/72 please Mr Airfix!) but it seems that more focus is aimed at 1/48 scale in terms of viability (and of course profitability).
I guess it's also a question (as prices increase) of being limited to buying what I know I'm going to build - it's hard enough to justify my relatively paltry stash as it is!
Anyway, good to chat - and thanks for the pictures of your collection: aspirational and inspirational.

The Fairey battle is coming soon, not from Airfix but from what I’ve seen thus far it should be a good one.

the question is how many do I need? The Battle is a nice looking airplane !

Randall

Yes, I've seen the new Fairey Battle advertised as coming soon on the Hannants website. What I find difficult to understand however is why some manufacturers seem to think tooling a new mould is worthwhile (and will presumably recoup costs) but apparently Airfix don't.

Which of course threatens to open up the can of worms that is brand loyalty...

Yes, I've seen the new Fairey Battle advertised as coming soon on the Hannants website. What I find difficult to understand however is why some manufacturers seem to think tooling a new mould is worthwhile (and will presumably recoup costs) but apparently Airfix don't.
Which of course threatens to open up the can of worms that is brand loyalty...

If I stuck with brand loyalty I would lose my mojo…no one manufacturer can do it all, there’s just too much. See my closet above….

Randall

When my mojo wanes, I return to family themes. My father's soft skin career with RAOC, my Uncle's RAF service which included Christmas Island Grapple tests and general V force mechanic on UK stations, a remote cousin who flew in the Fleet Air Arm (died in a Sea Gladiator in 1943) but flew many types of aircrafts. Can't tune into a Great Uncle, as there are no kits for HMS Philomel at the relief of Ladysmith fame or HMS Challenger of Duala fame unfortunately, that I can find. That's why I love this hobby; it's personal and that re-invigorates my interest to keep sticking bits of plastic together.

Andy