Elink/track master / accessory decoder R8247

Hi guys help plz

following very detailed instructions in this forum for setting up above the following happens. As soon as I connect (correct wiring) a hornby point motor to the accessory decoder the points do not change within software. When I read back the the settings the output port no.s have changed to 6629,6630,6631 and 6632. If I don’t connect the point it’s reads 5,6,7 and 8. My initial thought was I wired point to decoder wrongly but I have checked this many times. I have reset decoder to factory settings once - still no joy.

any thoughts - many thnx if u reply

Since you mention 5,6,7&8 for the addresses, This suggests that you have another R8247 addressed 1,2,3&4.

What happens if you connect the errant point motor to that other R8247 with addresses 1,2,3&4. If it works correctly on the other R8247, then the indication is that the errant R8247 is faulty.

Using substitution is one fundamental aspect of fault diagnosis to use to identify the cause and source of issues.

P.S. It is 'RailMaster' not 'track master'.

Read-back of point addresses in RM can be iffy. If you had been reading back via a normal dcc controller it would return the group address. RM does some internal calcs to post the port number but not very well it seems.

Resetting the acc decoder will have put the group address back to 1 and the ports to 1 - 4.

Note that Trackmaster is a track planning product, whereas Railmaster is the operating software package.

Sorry for mix up with terminology. I have only one acc decoder but it was recommended using 5 as the first port address - in these forums. I was wondering about the significance of the 6629 it defaults to on connecting a point motor. I have written this as the initial port address and checked without a point motor connected . This then drops to the 6629 , 6630, etc values on connecting a point motor.

again tnx form speedy replies guys

Just to eliminate the obvious.

1. What point motor are you using?
  2. What colour wires are you terminating on each of the three R8247 + C - terminals?
  3. After programming or reading back the addresses of the R8247 on the eLink PROG A&B Terminals. Are you reterminating the R8247 in parallel with your track connection on the eLink TRACK A&B Terminals? You can only operate a point when using the eLink TRACK Output.
  4. In the Railmaster track plan creation & editing Window. When clicking the point icon to open the point configuration Window panel, are you selecting 'Controller A' and 'R8247' in the pull down selection box?

Recommendation on starting at address 5 - this is in case an accessory decoder resets itself without your knowing. If that happens, and you already have another on 1-4 and you change one of them, the point on the decoder which has reset will change too. Depending on point and train positions when it happens, you may then be heading for disaster.

However, if you only have one accessory decoder, the recommendation is irrelevant. There is no other decoder to accidentally reset.

im using 1) r8242 hornby point motor
2) wiring c= black : red n green +-

No such point motor with that code. R8242 is a Digital Track Power Clip. If current Hornby products, then underboard motor is R8014 and surface mount motor is R8243.

Given you have said R8242, then I deduce that you have surface mounted R8243 motors and written a typo.

Assuming this deduction is correct, then wiring is correct.

The R8243 suffers from sticking if the mounting screws are done up too tightly.

As well as Ray's suggestion. Does the motor work if unscrewed from the baseboard and left dangling in free air? If it does, then this proves that the fault is a physical installation and alignment issue rather than a RM configuration one or faulty R8247.

The internal CDU in the R8247 lacks grunt and the point motor installation has to be 100% perfect to compensate for this lack of firing power.

U can tell I’m a newbie - but tnx again.

I’ve now got one of point motors working woooop.

I changed to port 2 . I changed usb port on laptop ( ps it is a new one)

I used all advice above and click the point moved under software control.

I now need to add other points and so on.

what wonderful peeps u are taking time to throw out suggestions even though I keep getting stuff wrong.

cheers

• 4 months later...

Just had a similar problem - two R8247s, Railmaster Pro, eLink. Ports 1-4 on first decoder wouldn't fire point motors and reading back in RM showed ports were numbered 6629 - 6632 and all pulse durations set to 25500mS. Second decoder with ports 5-8 was OK and its points fired. Thinking decoder 1 was faulty I fitted a new one. Worked OK with one motor attached. Reconnected remaining motors and no points would fire. Got a similar list of duff addresses from RM. To cut a long story short it turned out to be a faulty SEEP PM2 point motor which had a shorted coil between pads B & C. Now replaced and all is well.

Just a point (sorry) but you shouldn’t set the pulse duration any longer than 800mS for a solenoid motor. The default is 500mS. Your value of 25.5 seconds will likely be the reason your motor failed.

As previously stated read-back of points addresses by RM is unreliable and should be ignored. Normally when getting a direct read-back using a normal controller the points group address would be returned not the port address.

Also in event of getting in a muddle when setting up an R8247 you can always reset it by writing value 8 blind to CV 8, same as a loco decoder.

96RAF just a correction that is in your favour.... zandall stated
"pulse durations set to 25500mS"
Which is 25.5 seconds not 2.55 seconds. 25 seconds would definitely burn out a solenoid coil as you state.

I thought that at the time and amended it to the wrong value - re-amended.